The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
who?
There are always bands and artists that are majorly over-hyped at awards ceremonies. If it has to be anyone, it might as well be Adele; she actually has a voice and decent songs by 'pop' standards. She's becoming overrated only in the sense that other very good bands are overshadowed, but the music industry isn't exactly known for giving recognition according to talent. She's marketable, mainstream talent, which isn't really all that common.
(edited 12 years ago)
She's not talentless or bad, but there are better singers out there. The reason Adele is so popular is because she writes sad songs that every person who has even been in a relationship can relate to; the lyrics aren't subtle or clever so even idiots can relate.

I personally think Florence and the Machine (powerful British female voice like Adele) are far far better, although the music itself is a little more indie, the lyrics are more subtle, and she makes use of less mainstream instruments such as harps and flutes, which just isn't appealing to your average joe.

If BAFTAs and BRITs were awarded for pure talent, the only people winning them would be weird progressive rock guitarists nobody has ever heard of, it's no coincidence that Adele is so popular and she has won so many awards. Please the masses. Then again, better her than Cher Lloyd or any other talentless manufactured artist.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Kiss
Don't get me wrong, I like her music and her voice is outstanding but I find it annoying that she's been overplayed so much, and subsequentley she's gotten so much reception. I think she deserves recognition, but not as much as she's been given in the last few major award ceremonies (eg. the Brits and the Grammys).

What do you think?

I think she is a very talented musician and deserves her awards. She is among the few who actually writes most of their own music.
She's definitely overplayed.
I just tried listening to one of her songs for the first time ever. I ended up emotionally scarred after 10 seconds.
(edited 12 years ago)
Whilst I like her voice, and think it's a refreshing change to see a female artist not flashing her tits to get attention, her songs are very repetitive and I do think she'd overrated.

Don't ever annoy Adele.... she'll write an album about you.
Na she's just enjoying her 15 minutes of fame and good on her for that! Adele has as much hype around her today as Lady Gaga did when she hit the big time back in late 2008/early 2009. Gaga isn't (or never was and neither is Adele) over-rated, yet the hype died down by the time the next album was released because she was offering something new, but she wasn't a new talent. If anybody is over-rated, however, even though I really like her as an artist and like her songs, Rihanna just needs to go on a break. After the success of 'Loud' it's apparent she wanted to stay at the top of her game with 'Talk that Talk' but I've listened to some of the material on there and it isn't even comparable, yet critics are raving about songs like 'We Found Love', when Rihanna's best hits are on her older albums.
Reply 28
She might not be completely and utterly amazing as her amount of awards would imply, but as far as mainstream artists go, she's alright.

She already has a lot up on other chart 'musicians' simply by being able to string two notes together, having written (some) songs herself, and being a genuine person without seeming at all contrived or diva-ish. Also, she looks like a normal human and has made it this far, which is rare.

I'm not a fan, but I see no need to complain. It could be much, much worse.
Original post by BingoTears117
I am always surprised when spying on other people's iPod selections the amount of times I actually see '21' appear. Adele is Adele, whatever. The fact her songs are so average is what I think is really annoying. They have a serious team of writers (who have had huge success with their own bands i.e. Dan Wilson) and they come out with this bland unrequited love-paste. Rolling in the Deep was actually produced by Rick Rubin (for those that didn't know) and largely the reason for the song having a sort of half baked upbeat "yer I gott dumppd but fukkk u darren" feel to it. Adele's music is one of those inspirational Hollywood films that have been cooked up to produce results. It is not a result of anything this time around, unlike '19'.

what, even from guys?
Original post by Kiss
Don't get me wrong, I like her music and her voice is outstanding but I find it annoying that she's been overplayed so much, and subsequentley she's gotten so much reception. I think she deserves recognition, but not as much as she's been given in the last few major award ceremonies (eg. the Brits and the Grammys).

What do you think?

I don't like her voice. I can think of so many other female singers with much better voices.
Reply 31
Original post by Bobo1234
I like her- finally a female singer who doesn't all but get her tits out to get publicity. Stupid thing is, a lot of female singers COULD do really well relying on just their voices, and change the status quo, but instead they bare as much as won't get censored and contribute to it...Adele has an awesome voice and I hope other singers are encouraged by her example tbh.

But in all honesty, can you not see she's become the 'anti-pop' and is happily cashing in on this, as much using her body as any singer who 'gets her tits out'.
Original post by Tullia
Scared or scarred?

Scarred. My bad.
I'm not exactly enamoured, and am still annoyed that Kate Bush didn't win best British female!
I think a lot of my mates don't like her because she's "mainstream" but I think she's really good.
To the imbeciles who don't understand the concept of ANSWERING A QUESTION, I'll explain it for you: You work out a response RELEVANT to what is being asked. I.e. in this sense, the discussion underhand is whether Adele is overrated or not, not whether she's fat, thin, black, white or bloody pink. Continually ceases to amaze me why her weight is an issue for people. Build a ****ing bridge and get the **** over it.

In response to the question that this thread is about, I think she has a pretty remarkable talent, and like most people that do, this is realised and hence her music becomes mainstream. Mainstream music becomes hyped, and in most cases this works to the artist's disadvantage as people's expectations of said artists are even higher, and then their perception of them is generally more critical in terms of comparing their talent with their 'Best Artist' title or whatever, not just in the context of whether they're good or not.

In our generation, she is without a shadow of a doubt one of the best artists in the game.
She has a great voice but her music is SO BORING :sleep:
I think she is genuinely talented and she comes across as very likable as a person, in my opinion. However, I'm not a huge fan of her music (not my type, really), and it does get on my wick slightly the way she continually talks about how "she" wrote this album, when she wrote it with a team of writers. There's a saying that I hear a lot: "Change a word, get a third", and Beyonce is said to be notorious for this. This could be the case with Adele for all we know.

But yeah, certainly better than a lot of them. She's never better than Kate Bush though. I was actually quite annoyed when Kate's name was announced to a tumbleweed response.
Original post by Goody2Shoes-x
....and think it's a refreshing change to see a female artist not flashing her tits to get attention....

:yep:
Well she's certainly over-ated... :smug:

Latest