The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
She's so common. How could anyone support her?
She has talent, and is a great role model for kids in rough boroughs seeing as she lived in Tottenham herself but all her songs sound the same to me.

She has some great songs but I wouldn't buy her album.

In this climate she's one of the best singers in the charts but I'm a little bored of depressive music....Lana del Ray is ahem, so depressing I'd need to stay away from knives indefinitely.
Original post by ROYP
You say it as if she hasn't lived in London her whole life :confused:

I'm from London but I don't have that thick cockney accent. She's got that chav accent you get when you're a kid at school (I had it! :colondollar:) but I kinda grew out of it when I started working in Central London and went to Uni. It does come out when I'm annoyed though. :colondollar:
Reply 63
I like her music and to be honest I'd love to be able to sing like her!.I was a little surprised by her accent though, always imagined she was quite posh.
Reply 64
Is she overrated? Yes

Has she overeaten? Absolutely Yes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 65
Although I'm sick to death of most of her songs, I like her. I do think some of her songs are slightly overrated (Someone Like You - if I hear that one more time...) but when it all comes down to things, she writes/co-writes her own songs, sings live and has a good voice. At the end of the day, I'd much rather someone talented like Adele be getting more attention than, say, Rihanna or Katy Perry.

So overrated, yes. But not overly so :smile:
Reply 66
People like her because she plays the whole 'im just an average overweight common english woman but i've made a living in an industry where typically you're ment to be attractive and interesting therefore I appeal to you all because im just like you' card.

The Brittish people are mugs and love that kind of ****, credit to her making her a living for herself though. She is talented but overated yeah. I didn't think her performance at the brits last night was that good at all. Then again at least she's a decent singer/songwriter and not some manafactured below average ****e like One Direction or Nicki Minaj who dont deserve 1% of the fame and success they get. But as I said the Brittish public are mugs so thats how it is.
Reply 67
Original post by I<3LAMP
I'm from London but I don't have that thick cockney accent. She's got that chav accent you get when you're a kid at school (I had it! :colondollar:) but I kinda grew out of it when I started working in Central London and went to Uni. It does come out when I'm annoyed though. :colondollar:

Haha obviously I'm not saying all Londoners sounds like Adele, just that mockney makes it sound as if that's not her natural accent when it may well be. Not like Mike Skinner for example who speaks in a Birmingham accent and does his music in a different one.

Original post by Lamps08
Is she overrated? Yes

Has she overeaten? Absolutely Yes.

Unnecessary? Yes

Hilarious nonetheless? Absolutely
Reply 68
The Adele phenomenon is being repeated with Lana del Rey. I think they're both great, talented and beautiful (Lana, especially, is stunning imo) but their talent is being blown out of proportion because they're pretty much the only talented singers in the pop culture business. So the media's like, "OH MY GOD YOU GUYS! A SINGER WHO CAN SING!" and everyone goes ape****, forgetting that this should be the norm.
Reply 69
Also,
tumblr_lwoagvWx4R1qlzdun.gif
tumblr_lwoah73kZD1qlzdun.gif
tumblr_lwoahfEGFB1qlzdun.gif

I couldn't not post this.
Original post by dulciemae
To the imbeciles who don't understand the concept of ANSWERING A QUESTION, I'll explain it for you: You work out a response RELEVANT to what is being asked. I.e. in this sense, the discussion underhand is whether Adele is overrated or not, not whether she's fat, thin, black, white or bloody pink. Continually ceases to amaze me why her weight is an issue for people. Build a ****ing bridge and get the **** over it.

In response to the question that this thread is about, I think she has a pretty remarkable talent, and like most people that do, this is realised and hence her music becomes mainstream. Mainstream music becomes hyped, and in most cases this works to the artist's disadvantage as people's expectations of said artists are even higher, and then their perception of them is generally more critical in terms of comparing their talent with their 'Best Artist' title or whatever, not just in the context of whether they're good or not.

In our generation, she is without a shadow of a doubt one of the best artists in the game.

:cool::clap2: I agree with every word.
No.

I don't know why some people can't just appreciate that someone is talented without having a dig at their appearance.
Black singer sounds like a black singer = meh.

White singer sounds like a black singer = talented, incredible, amazing voice etc.
Reply 73
Some people seem to make the mistake of thinking that she is great because she isn't getting her tits out to sell her music. That's not a choice she has had to make. If she got her tits out, her sales would probably drop because her body is unattractive. She has to do it on music alone. Even if she is sending out the message that females don't have to use their bodies to get by in music, I don't think that's necessarily intentional.

There are plenty of examples of genuinely attractive looking female musicians who don't use their bodies to sell their music. I'm sure you can think of plenty of examples right now. I'm not going to name any because I don't want to get into some rubbish argument about who's the best musician.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ROYP
Haha obviously I'm not saying all Londoners sounds like Adele, just that mockney makes it sound as if that's not her natural accent when it may well be. Not like Mike Skinner for example who speaks in a Birmingham accent and does his music in a different one.

Unnecessary? Yes

Hilarious nonetheless? Absolutely

Ahh I know what you mean. :smile:
Reply 75
Original post by Kiss
Don't get me wrong, I like her music and her voice is outstanding but I find it annoying that she's been overplayed so much, and subsequentley she's gotten so much reception. I think she deserves recognition, but not as much as she's been given in the last few major award ceremonies (eg. the Brits and the Grammys).

What do you think?

I've been thinking this for a while. I don't dislike her at all, I like most of her songs, particularly Hometown Glory and she's got a great voice, but I wouldn't say any of her music is outstanding tbh, so I'm quite surprised at her huge success and she has been ridiculously overplayed over the past 12 months since last year's Brits and if I'm honest I'm slightly bored of her now. Though when you compare her to some of the utter drivel in the charts these days, then I could see why someone would like her so much.
i think she has an amazing voice and is extremely talented and definitely deserves all the credit she gets for her live performances... and i love her songs..

though i do think she's a bit over played and bigged up by the industry... but whatever, good for her... it's what a lot of people dream of.
Original post by internet tough guy
what, even from guys?

Even them.
Reply 78
I know she is sooo overated. She has an ok voice but I really dont see why everyone kha so much.
Reply 79
I would have agree great voice, wonderful personality but her music just does not hit the spot for me. Her weight does seem to be an issue in the posts and like many of us she could do with losing some weight; however I think she very attractive and I like the fact she is not a stick insect. In short she is very welcome to ruin for all other women.

Latest