Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

The Challenge 2012 (or previous)

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Challenge 2012!

Hello All

First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong place, I had no idea where to put it.

For those of you who don't know what The Challenge is, it is for 15/16 year olds who have just finished high school and it consists of three challenges: The first takes place over about 5 days in an outdoor activites centre, the second (after a days break) includes staying in University accomodation for 3 nights (for me it will be Manchester) and learning and developing a new skill such as Media, Photography, Sport, Enterprise or Drama and after another days break, 3 day time meet ups with your team while staying at home. There are then 4 weekend days spent in September applying a project you have pitched to some 'dragons' to the local community.

There are twelve members to a team and a few different dates to choose from to spend your 2 weeks (ish).

The amazing thing is, it only costs £35 (when applying online) and the rest of the whopping £1500 is provided by thier 'generous funders'.

For more information: http://www.the-challenge.org/

Earlier today I applied for The Challenge, after receiving a talk in assembly a few weeks ago by a representative and having a think about it. At first I wasn't sure I wanted to do it but I am now convinced and it seems really good. It will give me the chance to learn new stuff, meet new people, give me something to do in the Summer and look good on the ol' CV/Uni Applications. I might also tackle my fear of heights but then again, maybe not haha.

I created this thread to see if any one on TSR is getting invovled this year and when or to see if anyone had done it in the past and would like to share thier experience/advice.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    im doing this this year too xF
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wooo!
    that makes 2 of us hehe.
    which option do you reckon you'll choose or have chosen?
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieJelly96)
    Wooo!
    that makes 2 of us hehe.
    which option do you reckon you'll choose or have chosen?
    I wanna go Hiking D:
    But they'd probably make us hike like a billion miles.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha oh god :L I dont mind hiking and water sports and stuff but Im really scared of hieghts so I dont know if I'll do much good at abseiling and all that.
    I think I wanna do photography for the few days in uni accomodation as well, cos I've always been interested but never had the choice.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the challenge as well, I can't wait
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Awesome where abouts?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well I live in East London you?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Manchester for me (:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Do you know anyone going? All my friends are going on different dates
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Last year I went on the Challenge in West Midlands... it was awesome. Wish I could do it again! I'm really good mates with loads of the people I met, it's a really great 3 weeks

(Original post by nataliekwong)
    I wanna go Hiking D:
    But they'd probably make us hike like a billion miles.
    It's quite hilly but it's not that far that doesn't help obviously but it is actually great fun, and when you go on it you will have bonded with the group so it's just like a massive day out with your friends

I might also tackle my fear of heights but then again, maybe not haha.
    You probably will

(Original post by smileyelzz)
    Do you know anyone going? All my friends are going on different dates
    It doesn't matter! I'm a shy guy and I knew no-one. But I still made loads of friends
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I luckily have my best friend and also another girl who I'm freinds with so thats good. I honestly dont mind if were not in the same team becuase were still on the same dates and will see each other around. It will be nice to meet new people.

cant_think_of_name, do you know how many teams there are on like one set of dates? I know the teams are 12 people but Im wondering how many there are (:
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right so there are 5 teams on each, you do mix with them and stuff but particularly in the second and third you will be more with your own group

and Team Radcliffe is the best, by the way :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay, that sounds good. Not a baised opinion then?
    Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Challenge 2012!

Hello All

First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong place, I had no idea where to put it.

For those of you who don't know what The Challenge is, it is for 15/16 year olds who have just finished high school and it consists of three challenges: The first takes place over about 5 days in an outdoor activites centre, the second (after a days break) includes staying in University accomodation for 3 nights (for me it will be Manchester) and learning and developing a new skill such as Media, Photography, Sport, Enterprise or Drama and after another days break, 3 day time meet ups with your team while staying at home. There are then 4 weekend days spent in September applying a project you have pitched to some 'dragons' to the local community.

There are twelve members to a team and a few different dates to choose from to spend your 2 weeks (ish).

The amazing thing is, it only costs £35 (when applying online) and the rest of the whopping £1500 is provided by thier 'generous funders'.

For more information: http://www.the-challenge.org/

Earlier today I applied for The Challenge, after receiving a talk in assembly a few weeks ago by a representative and having a think about it. At first I wasn't sure I wanted to do it but I am now convinced and it seems really good. It will give me the chance to learn new stuff, meet new people, give me something to do in the Summer and look good on the ol' CV/Uni Applications. I might also tackle my fear of heights but then again, maybe not haha.

I created this thread to see if any one on TSR is getting invovled this year and when or to see if anyone had done it in the past and would like to share thier experience/advice.
    Volunteering or work experience would look way better on CV than this
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star10159)
    Volunteering or work experience would look way better on CV than this
    Dont really care, this is something Im doing for enjoyment, I just said it is something to add to the CV as it is quite unique.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm going! What dates are you guys going on? Maybe, I'll see you.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorginaCrespi)
    I'm going! What dates are you guys going on? Maybe, I'll see you.
    I'm going on the 29th july What about you?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    8th August :'( i'm away on that date :P... the 29th July I mean.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 5, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.