The Student Room Group

Keele University or University of Coventry?

Hi there, I currently hold offers to read Mathematics at Keele University and University of Coventry.

What I'd like to know is which of the two is more well regarded- reputation wise? And also which of the two would give me a better chance of employment?

Cheers!
Reply 1
Can't speak for Coventry, but I'm at Keele and have a lot of mates who take single hons maths and they all without exception love the course. If you have any questions about the Uni in general I'd be happy to answer :smile:
I'm pretty sure that according to league tables and such Keele's a much better place in general than Cov, about 30 places ahead. Of course that's not everything, but I'm assuming if there's that much of a difference between them then Keele's maths programme would be better.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
To be honest it all depends on your grades and whether you feel comfortable there. Coventry is one of the safest cities in England and has a better reputation. However as Kat mentioned Keele has a higher rank in the league tables than Coventry. :smile:

Try going to come open days? :smile:
Reply 3
Keele definitely I hold an offer from them as well, and I were my 3rd choice. They've got a fantastic campus and the course itself looks really interesting. You should really visit them both though.
Reply 4
But coventry has a better employment rate after graduation, so im stuck in two minds. :frown:
Reply 5
Have you visited both unis?
Reply 6
Original post by kateshiller
But coventry has a better employment rate after graduation, so im stuck in two minds. :frown:

IT IS AMAZING UNI! i turned down UEA and Kings for coventry, and now im waiting for a levels to finish !! :smile:
Reply 7
Coventry has jumped from 87th in the country (most improved) to 63rd whilst Keele has dropped from 44th to 54th in the last year. Coventry seem to be improving every year and by the time you graduate, they will hopefully be in a decent position. Although the city of Coventry itself isn't the most exciting place to live, the University is located within the city center. I have a friend at Keele University who says he barely ever goes to Stoke-on-trent (not that you'd want to). Personally for me, living within the city feels more like home and is ideal for shopping and night life etc
Reply 8
Original post by Alice.
Have you visited both unis?

im planning on visiting both unis this month :smile:
Reply 9
plz suggest either keele / coventry for HRM... DOJ is april-15. revert asap... waiting :smile: INDIA
Original post by K_12
IT IS AMAZING UNI! i turned down UEA and Kings for coventry, and now im waiting for a levels to finish !! :smile:

You turned down KCL for Coventry for a maths degree ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by kateshiller
Hi there, I currently hold offers to read Mathematics at Keele University and University of Coventry.

What I'd like to know is which of the two is more well regarded- reputation wise? And also which of the two would give me a better chance of employment?

Cheers!

Hey Kate,
Congratulations on your offers! I fully empathise with your position trying to decide though, league tables can get quite confusing as it depends which one you look at as to which university comes out better, but as mentioned above Coventry has improved tremendously in the last few years, and continues to.

I can't speak for Keele as it's been ages since I went there for an open day, but all I can say is that I've absolutely loved my time in Coventry (so much they can't get rid of me, I graduated last year and now i'm doing a research degree here as well as working for the university). Obviously that makes me slightly biased, but I really do love Coventry University, all the staff here have been so helpful and involved in my studies from day 1, I really can't imagine getting this type of working relationship anywhere else!

My advice would be to visit both campuses if you haven't already - and talk to as many staff and students as you can whilst your there, find out as much as you can and try to get a feel for how current students feel, and also to compare the courses. Ultimately it doesn't matter how much you love where you live, if you don't enjoy the course you won't get the most from your time at university. See how the assessment methods vary (if at all), see what content sounds more interesting to you, and then if you have any questions drop us a line on here and we'll do our best to help you out.

Good luck with the big decision - and do drop us a message if we can help at all!
- Josh

Quick Reply

Latest