Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

best tablet for £200

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness in in to the final 16! The group winners battle it out for the overall title! 15-07-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I really don't know what to go for. I really do fancy getting a tablet but my budget is £200 maybe a little bit over. I want it for internet browsing, e book reader, listening to music and possibly watching films. Does anyone have any advice. I was looking at the htc flyer wi fi only but I'm really not sure.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    blackberry playbook £160 odd os 2.0 is now out if that keeping you back

my opinion including the price better than ipad2
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamer247)
    I really don't know what to go for. I really do fancy getting a tablet but my budget is £200 maybe a little bit over. I want it for internet browsing, e book reader, listening to music and possibly watching films. Does anyone have any advice. I was looking at the htc flyer wi fi only but I'm really not sure.
    I'd personally wait a month or so for the Asus eeePad Memo to launch, it has better specs than the majority of the tablet market at the moment and with a planned price of $250 it should certainly translate to a sub-£200 price point. That or wait for the iPad 3 announcement in March and watch the droves of dedicated Apple fans sell their iPad 2s on eBay, iOS still has the most substantial set of tablet-dedicated apps by a hell of a margin.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    diddnt know about this tablet i would also wait

iil say though with tax and other things it may end up as a £250 tablet or possibly less but iil be supprised if it ends up under £200
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any particular size you specifically want? The flyer is 7" isn't it? Might be worth going for a 10" tablet if you want to watch films on it.

A second hand touchpad from ebay or somewhere should be less than £200 (maybe even boxed new if you're lucky), and you can easily flash android onto it in about 10 minutes. After that it's pretty much the same as tablets that cost double the price!
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaaagggg1525)
    diddnt know about this tablet i would also wait

iil say though with tax and other things it may end up as a £250 tablet or possibly less but iil be supprised if it ends up under £200
    Going by current exchange rates, it would cost £190 after VAT. There's obviously going to be other costs as well, but it's theoretically well within their means to reach the £200 price point.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    I'd personally wait a month or so for the Asus eeePad Memo to launch, it has better specs than the majority of the tablet market at the moment and with a planned price of $250 it should certainly translate to a sub-£200 price point. That or wait for the iPad 3 announcement in March and watch the droves of dedicated Apple fans sell their iPad 2s on eBay, iOS still has the most substantial set of tablet-dedicated apps by a hell of a margin.
    Has it had a release date yet or is it one of those ones that has various rumour release dates?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan1909)
    Any particular size you specifically want? The flyer is 7" isn't it? Might be worth going for a 10" tablet if you want to watch films on it.

A second hand touchpad from ebay or somewhere should be less than £200 (maybe even boxed new if you're lucky), and you can easily flash android onto it in about 10 minutes. After that it's pretty much the same as tablets that cost double the price!
    I don't really fancy carrying a 10" tablet around with me when I am travelling around on the train etc
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    IMO you should save up an extra £200 and wait for the iPad 3, ipads take up over 60% of the tablet market.

This means most app devs will look to put there apps on the already massive app store, and most reviews i have seen the reviewer says they prefer an ipad.

But tbh you should try a few of them out and decide for yourself. You can easily get one for under £200 if you dont require a large screen and dont require resource demanding apps.

Look at the kindle fire that has had some good reviews and its only $199. The only problem with it is you may need to import it as it isn't out in the uk yet.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    2nd hand iPad 1 16GB 3g+wifi.
    £200-250 should get you one in good condition and plenty of life left in it.
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    Has it had a release date yet or is it one of those ones that has various rumour release dates?
    No release date has been set yet.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As mentioned previously, the playbook..

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/blackb...rxapa&istBid=t

A very nice piece of kit for the price.
    Great screen
    HDMI out
    Best tablet browsing experience (IMO)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.C. Chinaski)
    As mentioned previously, the playbook..

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/blackb...rxapa&istBid=t

A very nice piece of kit for the price.
    Great screen
    HDMI out
    Best tablet browsing experience (IMO)
    But don't you need a blackberry for all the benefits of this tablet?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    But don't you need a blackberry for all the benefits of this tablet?
    Name any other sub 200 tablet that rates anywhere near to the playbook????
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.C. Chinaski)
    Name any other sub 200 tablet that rates anywhere near to the playbook????
    Touchpad with android on will far surpass the playbook unless you specifically need a 7" tablet.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Touchpad with android on will far surpass the playbook unless you specifically need a 7" tablet.
    Yes but the touchpad is not a sub 200 tablet. It is 250-300 at best, used.

And don't talk as if it's under £100, the OP obviously doesn't already have a touchpad.

EDIT: Oh and the OP did later say they wanted smaller than 10 inches
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    Yes but the touchpad is not a sub 200 tablet. It is 250-300 at best, used.

And don't talk as if it's under £100, the OP obviously doesn't already have a touchpad.

EDIT: Oh and the OP did later say they wanted smaller than 10 inches
    Just taken a quick look at the first few auctions on ebay, and there are definitely some for sale for under £200, new. Used would be even cheaper.

Although it's irrelevant if the OP wants <10".
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    PlayBook is on sale - for around £160-£200. Also, you might be able to find a refurbished HP TouchPad, however, the likelihood of you managing to obtain one is low - as HP no longer manufacture the devices.

However, if you are willing to completely override your allowance, and spend £400-£500, than the ASUS Transformer Prime is likely the best choice. ASUS recently unlocked its bootloader, which means that people are able to customise it. Ubuntu's been ported to it, albeit, it isn't fully working. If you aren't interested in customisation, the original Ice Cream Sandwich operating system is great for your needs too.
    Also, you can't really go wrong with an iPad, although, iPad 3 will likely arrive soon - so you may want to wait a little bit.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just taken a quick look at the first few auctions on ebay, and there are definitely some for sale for under £200, new. Used would be even cheaper.

Although it's irrelevant if the OP wants <10".
    Well I just looked at ebay, the cheapest one I can find new buy it now is £260. And if we luck at auctions it's £250 (including delivery). Unless I'm massively missing something I don't see any touchpads under £200 new. Even if you do see an auction at cheaper than that you know it's going to go up massively - it's ebay.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (i) Others posters have already set you straight
    (ii) they don't make 'em
    (iii) Surpass in what way?? Build quality .... I think not.
    (iv) Android apps are coming along nicely on the playbook.
    (v) as I already said, sub 200 you will not get a better tablet than the the 32GB playbook.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not claiming than you cannot get a better tablet than the playbook ... I have 5 tablets and the playbook ain't the best of them ... the best one cost just over 2000 pounds .. but the playbook is most certainly the best sub 200 that is on the market....

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 3, 2012
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.