Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Curly Haired Guys and Girls!

Announcements Posted on
One quick question - from of our list, who would you most like to see on TSR doing a Q&A? 23-09-2014
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Curly haired guy here.

My hair is pretty much like the Matthew Morrison's guys from Glee, same length etc. I usually some type of wax in the morning, then try and style somehow, it looks different everyday :|. Have to accept it though!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    i wash with twisted sister de-frizz shapoo, throw on some moraccan oil, scunch with vo5 gel spray then blow dry upside down - mega volume

...sometimes need to throw on some frizz-ease too though
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have extremely curly hair but always straighten it.

I use 'Twisted Sista' shampoo I make sure I use lots of conditioner because my hair is dry and damaged.

I also have GHDs which are the best straightners I've had though my hair doesn't always stay straight (boo).

Every time I go to the hairdressers and wash my my hair (after coming in with it straight) I never fail to receive comments of the hairdressers of how curly it is. I once had to have 2 girls drying my hair at the same time because it takes so long
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    My hair is slightly odd, in the sense that it has a combination of straight, curly, ringlet and wavy hair. Saying that, I definitely prefer my natural hair, as opposed to straightening it. Plus I don't think straight hair particularly suits me.

I tend to use the Aussie products, specifically the dual personality anti-frizz conditioning milk, even though my hair isn't really frizzy. It just makes the hair look more fuller and gives it that healthier look.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    The amount of time I spend straightening my hair is ridiculous. I can never seem to get lovely spiral curls, my hair is naturally one big mess, maybe because it's so thick.

Even when it's straight, the slightest bit of moisture in the air makes it frizzy, it's infuriating. Considering one of those treatments to make it permanently straight. :beard:
    Hey, your hair is kind of like mine, only I have random blonde streaks for some strange reason and my hair is a lighter brown. From the picture it looks like you have nice ringlets, and they're just a bit straight at the end- don't chemically straighten it, you have lovely hair! Save the curls!

Do you have straighteners with silver in or an anti frizz layer of some sort? That helps with mine, but it's still really difficult to stop it going frizzy when it's straightened :/ One drip of water and it's like 'BOOM! I'm going back to curly!'
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    i have dead straight hair, and i would LOVE it to be naturally curly. i style it that way all the time, so jealous of people that have it naturally! anyone wanna swap?
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigerlilygem)
    Do you have straighteners with silver in or an anti frizz layer of some sort? That helps with mine, but it's still really difficult to stop it going frizzy when it's straightened :/ One drip of water and it's like 'BOOM! I'm going back to curly!'
    I have GHD's which I've hammered for about 4 years. I spray Lee Stafford Dehumidifier all over when I'm going out, helps with the frizz a little bit.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nice I got CHS ones, which go up to the same temperature so they work really well. I might try some dehumidifier- John Freida serum is too expensive now :/
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I LOVE my curly hair. I'm 100% natural - no dyes, no relaxers, no nothing. I rarely use products. Just cowash and go. And it doesn't take much maintenance, and it's not a 'nightmare'.

I'm growing it out to waist length it's currently APL, I think?

The best thing is, it's so versatile, and I think it's beautiful. I have very fine, silky curls, so it's pretty shiny, and I have natural ringlets. I also straighten it a couple times every few months, and it goes like Indian hair - swishy, smooth, thick (looking. My hair is actually medium, as opposed to thick) and straight.

Appreciate your hair. Straightening it every day is NOT going to lead to healthy hair, and unhealthy hair looks crap. Every type of hair is gorgeous when it's healthy.

This is my hair. Enjoy

Spoiler:
    Show

And straight
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86955cd4b23111e1a39b1231381b7ba1_7.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	155373  
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annieeeeeee)
    curly hair is the worst kind to style because it just looks messy unless you put hours of effort in every day! mine gets curlier the longer it gets so it's just a bit of a pain really, and because it's so thick as well it seems to take forever to straighten
    It's not the 'worst kind to style' :/

I don't put in 'hours of effort' in my hair, and it still looks nice. I just keep it healthy.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliceStrawbs)
    I have ringlets (I feel like i've won the mixed race hair lottery!)
    Hahaha, me too. I don't meet many other biracials with my hair type.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanS94)
    erm I dunno if mine is considered curly I kind inherited both my farthers curly hair and my mothers straight hair :L so I'm part curly and it's stupid because my sides and back are extremely curly whereas everywhere else is straight :L
    Sounds cute. We demand a pic.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyde)
    I'm sure I've read somewhere about a no shampoo method for curly hair where you just rinse your hair with water, then condition and rinse. I'm not sure I could get on with that as I get very greasy roots, but has anyone tried it?
    *raises hand*

I never use shampoo. When I feel I have build up, I use ACV. I am going to buy some sulfate free clarifying shampoo next week, though.

It doesn't make my hair greasy at all. I wash the conditioner out, so it's not sitting on my hair all day. It's great, because I wash my hair daily (haven't mastered 2nd day hair yet!), so if I was shampooing it, it'd be dry as eff.

Cowashing is the best
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliceStrawbs)
    I have ringlets (I feel like i've won the mixed race hair lottery!) and the main product I use is Paul Mitchell Sculpt. Also used Bed Head curls rocks mouse. Aveda do some good products that smell really good too which I tend to use mainly on the ends.

I've never found it hard manage, I dry it with a diffuser and then it spring up a bit more during the day I only ever comb it through when it's wet if not, FRIZZZZ. As far as straightening goes I can do it in just under an hour with the fat GHDs
    Ohh, do you have natural ringlets? They are sooo cute!!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    when i was younger i had the white afro... then one day my mum cut it all off so i looked like a guy for ages! now ive grown it to the point where at one time it was waist length when pulled straight.. these days i keep it at shoulder length when curly then get it cut once it gets too long (needs cutting atm its mid way down my back!)

i never blow dry my hair, and i only brush/comb it when wet.. ill occasionally take a brush t it just to make my pony tail look neat and not all frizzy but thats it! i also have a wide toothed comb for curls!

i use treseme - its a turquoise pack designed for dry hair.. and i wash it every other day.. the more i wash it the better and less frizzy my hair gets! ill then put leave in conditioner in either that or ill sit for an hour or whatever in conditioner before washing it out if i have time!

i dont straighten my hair because its like fighting a loosing battle.. it takes hours to do and then i sleep on it and its gone all frizzy! most of the time i just keep it in a pony tail or otherwise tied back.. when im going out etc i make more of an effort to style it - lots of gel for curly hair from frizzease and then ususally its still vaguely tied back in some form.. rarely do i just leave it completely down!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoNottingH)
    Ohh, do you have natural ringlets? They are sooo cute!!
    Aw thank you. Currently my hair's in awful condition from colouring so it's not as curly as it is normally D:
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    My hair is naturally curly, and it varies from very tight corkscrews and kinks to looser longer curls
    I use a herbal essences hydration shampoo to stop my hair from getting very dry. I wash it every morning and then apply a pea-sized amount of Macadamia nut oil

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snapshot_201205211.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	156770
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Care-Free)
    i wash with twisted sister de-frizz shapoo, throw on some moraccan oil, scunch with vo5 gel spray then blow dry upside down - mega volume

...sometimes need to throw on some frizz-ease too though
    I love Maroccan oil! It gives a heavenly sheen and so stays in shape without being sticky....
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoNottingH)
    I love Maroccan oil! It gives a heavenly sheen and so stays in shape without being sticky....
    It's just amazing, admittedly expensive but completely worth it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i have straight hair, but you girls (and guys!) are so lucky~! curly hair can look so glamorous and jrhvfyugfsyu

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 25, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered hair care and hairstyles threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.