Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Complaining about the NHS - is it often successful?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have submitted a complaint regarding treatment of my mum by a hospitaln earlier today - we wont go into huge details but she was discharged when she was clearly very ill, left to cross a very busy (traffic light free) road when she was only semi conscious. Got her home safely eventually however I'm appalled that a hospital could allow someone to do that and so have made a formal complaint to the local NHS trust.. Sent them a three page letter by email detailing exactly what happened and what I want done about it.. A lot of people online are saying not to bother as NHS complaints are never successful but I just feel that anything could have happened to my mum, and I want to make sure that they're prevented from making similar mistakes again.. What's everyone's experience of complaining though? Does it tend to make a difference, what do they do after you've submitted the complaint? Kind of worried that they'll treat my mum worse if they know I've kicked up a fuss, hopefully not. Any advice appreciated xx
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your mum shouldn't be treated differently. My parents are in the middle of submitting a complaint and I need to get my arse into gear and make a complaint too. (which my consultant is aware of and isn't happy about the way I have been treated)
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You have every right to complain if you feel you were treated poorly.

They should respond to your letter answering the issues you have raised. To do this they will review the case and assess whether they feel any part of the management was substandard.

Your mother should absolutely not be treated any differently as a result of this.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisydaffodil)
    Any advice appreciated xx
    In addition to what everyone else as advised, the website www.patientopinion.org.uk allows patients/carers to give feedback on NHS services. I've left feedback a few times and each service has responded to me. If they don't get back to you personally it may be worth using this.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by successful? They are legally bound to investigate and respond to your complaint, so hopefully the issues you described will be addressed, but there's no guarantee they'll implement all of your requests. It is possible that they won't tell you much detail of the clinical side of things as they have a duty of confidentiality towards your mum. However, your mum shouldn't be treated any differently, and if there were genuine failings then it's important that the Trust is made aware.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 23, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you've done at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.