The Student Room Group

Any point in ringing up and begging?

Just got rejected from Edinburgh, my first choice :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
I thought my interview went fine, they seemed impressed by my personal statement and interested in what I had to say- guess they were just pretending to be interested to put me at ease.
I soooooooooooooooo want to go there, I'll be happy going to Liverpool but I just fell in love with Edinburgh when I went to the open day and for my interview.
Been waiting for 2 weeks to hear.
What was so wrong with me?
Any point in ringing + asking why they didn't want me and telling them how ace I'd be if i did go?
*tears*
Lucy xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It couldn't hurt...
Reply 2
*Hugs*
How depressing is it when you get rejected?! I feel exactly the same- they were all smiles and asking as if they were genuinely interested in me- how do these people sleep at night, making and breaking peoples lives like this?! Ok so I have Bristol to fall back on, and I'm immensely grateful I do as otherwise looks like I'd be reapplying next year- so I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones- but I'd love to have a choice... and Edinburgh was beautiful :frown:
How would you go about contacting these people and what an awkward conversation it must be! "Why have you rejected me? Why was I not good enough for you?" Has anyone rung up after a rejection?
Reply 3
Lucyvet2006
Just got rejected from Edinburgh, my first choice :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
I thought my interview went fine, they seemed impressed by my personal statement and interested in what I had to say- guess they were just pretending to be interested to put me at ease.
I soooooooooooooooo want to go there, I'll be happy going to Liverpool but I just fell in love with Edinburgh when I went to the open day and for my interview.
Been waiting for 2 weeks to hear.
What was so wrong with me?
Any point in ringing + asking why they didn't want me and telling them how ace I'd be if i did go?
*tears*
Lucy xxx

Awww im sorry!! :frown: That sucks, at least you still have Liverpool and arent dumped for a year!! I'd ring and beg, might even go round and see them again :security: lol! Edinborough have always suffered from scottism, don't take it personally (unless you are scottish :confused: ) !!!
Reply 4
You have nothing to lose! surely a teensy bit of embarassment if they say no is worth it- you'll never see them again anyway. Just don't sound tooo winey!
Wait I can't believe i'm doing this- you want to come to Liverpool!!!
Reply 5
it's always worth a try - you might end up regretting it later for not trying. the least u can do is ask why they rejected u! good luck!!! :smile:
Reply 6
No harm trying. I wrote to RVC when they rejected me without interview!!!! My theory is that there is nothing to lose by doing it :smile:
Reply 7
ditto
Look if the admissions panel didn't want you there is a reason. Get over yourself.
If Liverpool had rejected me (was always my 1st choice) - id DEFO have asked them why. Even if nothing comes of it, at least hopefully it will to some extent put your mind to rest. My friend desperately wanted to go to Edinburgh too, but ended up here in Liverpool, shes actually thankful now she didnt end up anywhere else because she's so happy.

Its a real shame. Just keep reminding urself that things REALLY COULD be and ARE worse for a lot of ppl! :smile:

......and listen to good ol' leggielass! :biggrin: :wink:
Give 'em a ring - and let us all know how it goes!
Reply 11
Hey everyone,
Well I got a letter the next day saying I'm on the waiting list. Rang up and asked whether this means I have to drop my other 2 offers and wait until results day (August) to see who goes and who doesn't, or whether they could tell me before the UCAS deadline so I'm not taking a gamble.
They can't guarantee me a place (obviously or I'd have an offer!) but I'll try and ring in a couple of months just before the end of April deadline for us to accept/decline offers. Just maybe they'll know by then! I forgot to ask where I am on the waiting list so I'll ring them back in a couple of weeks.
Cheers for your support- I'm glad I rang up! Still will be happy at Liverpool though if I go there, :biggrin:
Lucy xxx
Reply 12
talk about reviving a dead thread kids...:p:
I did keep ringing up and before Easter they couldn't tell me where I was on the waiting list- they said they hadn't drawn one up and didn't know when they would.
This got me panicking :eek: <--- just like that. I have to reply to Liverpool by 4th May and if I make them my firm choice I HAVE to (legally I think or just because UCAS are rigid about it) go there if I get the grades, even if Edinburgh decided they could give me a place mid-June or on results day, I still couldn't go. I realise there's no benefit to Edinburgh in drawing up their waiting list until after 4th May when they know who's taking up their place and who isn't. So I'm v scared :eek: .
Rang up today- my head full of what the hell I could say to convince them how much I LOVE Edinburgh and want to go there. I told them my situation and that Edinburgh is my first choice + I'm clinging onto this until the last moment that I can reply to Liverpool.
They said they are having a meeting about the waiting list this week, and if they can give away any places they will do so this week and get in touch.

The upshot of all this is- I should find out some time this week! PLEASE cross your fingers and everything else for me (much as Liverpool is ace and I won't be complaining if I go there, I just have my heart set- you know how it is) and if you have any influence with the top bods at Edinburgh Dick :wink: lol.
I'm so nervous!
Reply 13
Good luck!!!!!
Good luck!!!!!
Good luck!!!!!
All the best for your place at Edinburgh. I agree, Edinburgh is fantastic. However, if you don't get in then you still have Liverpool which is also fab. As I said before:
Good luck!!!!!
Good luck!!!!!
Good luck!!!!!
Reply 14
OMG fingers so crossed for ya!!! I know i'd be the same if I hadn't got in Liverpool, you just get your mind set on one place for so many reasons so good luck!!!

... wait a minute, what am I saying lol get your arse to liverpool it will be amazing :p:!!!
Reply 15
I have everything crossed for you even my eyes:dong: i look a bit like that lol
best cross eyed smilie i could find:p:
Good luck!!!!
but as nina said come to liverpoooooool its the bestest hehe
Reply 16
GOOD LUCK!
I really hopes it works out fine!

But don't forget that things can change in August! People may not get the results (ie, moi, ha, lol) and then people on the waiting lists will get in! DON'T REMOVE YOURSELVES FROM THE LIST IF NOTHING HAPPENS! Then phone in august a bagillion times so they KNOW you are alive and won't give up. (this happened to a friend of mine for glasgow last year...he got in after phoning all the time and he was on the waiting list)

VIGILENCE!

And anyway, good luck!
Reply 17
oh gosh GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!
sucks that this happened!!! >_<
i really really hope you can go to edinburgh, though im sure liverpool would be great too.
i'll be crossing my fingers for ya! *mwah*
Reply 18
Hybrid
GOOD LUCK!
I really hopes it works out fine!

But don't forget that things can change in August! People may not get the results (ie, moi, ha, lol) and then people on the waiting lists will get in! DON'T REMOVE YOURSELVES FROM THE LIST IF NOTHING HAPPENS! Then phone in august a bagillion times so they KNOW you are alive and won't give up. (this happened to a friend of mine for glasgow last year...he got in after phoning all the time and he was on the waiting list)

VIGILENCE!

And anyway, good luck!

but she can't wait until August before she accepts the offer from Liverpool so surely she's legally bound to accept the offer if she gets the grades, and if she doesn't there would be no point edinborough accepting her.

Suppose you could just go for it Lucy- refuse liverpools offer (nooooooooooooooooooooooo) and then in August ring up and say 'look, I threw away all my other offers for you LET ME IN!' but its a big risk and easy for me to say sitting here! Come to Liverpooool :biggrin:
Reply 19
WELL I rang up again today, today being the end of "this week" the week in which "The Meeting About The Waiting List" was to be held. Turns out they're holding the meeting this afternoon. They will let people know on Monday so I need to ring up again on Monday :eek: Maybe the meeting was this afternoon and has already been held! Maybe the man I talked to on the phone already knew whether I'm in or not!

Latest

Trending

Trending