The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
happysunshine
We don't have any women MP's because not as many women are interested in politics as men. It's just the difference in attitudes.

maybe it's because they do not have any decent political female role models to whom they can relate, and thus persuade them to become involved in politics. I mean, who have we got in britain?- Ana Widdicombe and Margerate Thatcher, and are there any prominant female politicians in America?

To make the balance of the sexes correct in all roles of life, there needs to be some good inspirational figures, otherwise females (and males for certain professions) will not aspire to become like them (sorry if this is garbled).
SasunD
PM, not MP. maybe my point was not well communicated.

the basic ideas was, eg, why are there more men in army than women. kos naturally men are more aggressive. true there are some woman who are stronger than most men, but generaly speaking men are physically stronger.

I said MP, but you thought I said PM which makes everything clearer and now I agree with you.
Reply 42
lofichic
Also, grammar? Spelling? Punctuation? It does help. I find it worrying that everyone on here seems to be studying degrees and still doesn't know how to spell because.

you try typing on a laptop keyboard where the keys are closer together, all same level, not as reised as traditional keyboards, and the mousepad messes up the mouse (its a touchpad for a mouse).
riffraff
maybe it's because they do not have any decent political female role models to whom they can relate, and thus persuade them to become involved in politics. I mean, who have we got in britain?- Ana Widdicombe and Margerate Thatcher, and are there any prominant female politicians in America?

To make the balance of the sexes correct in all roles of life, there needs to be some good inspirational figures, otherwise females (and males for certain professions) will not aspire to become like them (sorry if this is garbled).

I agree with you :biggrin:
Reply 44
Agreed RiffRaff... It's just not as simple as women are better than men are better than women are etc etc....

and me start something decent? Well I admit i DO care... I'm worried that you've devoted yourself to posting here if you don't actually give a shit. "most women are out for themselves" - I dont think you can really label in such categories as most women and most men... we're all individuals with different sets of influences and constituting factors besides our sex/gender.
Reply 45
gemma1811
This thread is especially for W.A.S.Hewins - he seems to have a problem with women, especially the feminists on this forum - although the continually says that he does not actually know what a feminist is!

He is continually having a go at women for no reason, i'm thinking he is anti-women and if you try to defend the female race he calls you feminazi and insults you.

I've decided that it would be interesting to hear everyones view on feminism - i personally am not a feminist as I don't know enought about it to be one, however I do know feminists! So what does everyone think?

I think modern feminism in European countries is a bit out-dated. There are only very few laws one could actually change, the rest is the thing of women themselves! ANd I hate the way some feminists always turn it against men, e.g. quoting the figures of female participation in boards of trustees or so, not looking at the figures objectively but assuming men would continuosly exclude women.
Reply 46
lofichic
Women are more caring - says who? Prove it.

fine, you don't want complimet, won't get compliment.
lets replace the word 'caring' with emotional.
women are more emotional, or don't hide, or leanr to hide as men do. you don't want a perosn in the army who gets shocked or cries for ages kos his/her friend died.

same with PM. you don't want a PM, who cires kos people died in the 9/11 attacks. no. sure, there are women who as said before, will be like the men in terms of the characteristics mentioned, but generally speaking women tend to be more emotional.
Reply 47
Some women in politics take male hormones in order to cope, because polotics it is so male dominated.
Reply 48
vienna95
theyre doing that now, by helping to destroy marriage.
It's only destroying marriage if you define marriage as being necessarily misogynistic.

Not that my point had anything directly to do with marriage, but anyway...
Reply 49
JamesF
Some women in politics take male hormones in order to cope, because polotics it is so male dominated.
source?
Reply 50
JamesF

Where on earth did you get that piece of information? Personally I think it sounds crap
Reply 51
JamesF

Hahahaha.
Reply 52
claire1985
Please tell me you are joking.........? You honestly don't see anything wrong with a woman not getting a job when they are of childbearing age, just in case they get pregnant and they have to pay them maternity leave? If you don't see anything wrong with that, there is no hope...

No, I'm saying that an already pregnant woman is asking for discrimination when she applies for a job knowing she will get 1 year's free pay. I would go as far as to say it's an insult to the company's intelligence even thinking they would pay you.
lofichic
Agreed RiffRaff... It's just not as simple as women are better than men are better than women are etc etc....

and me start something decent? Well I admit i DO care... I'm worried that you've devoted yourself to posting here if you don't actually give a shit. "most women are out for themselves" - I dont think you can really label in such categories as most women and most men... we're all individuals with different sets of influences and constituting factors besides our sex/gender.

True we are, women pretend to be emotional and caring but really most of them don't care. Trust me I'm a woman.
Reply 54
A TV program, they were interviewing a doctor who said that he had a few patients who were polititians, and about the long term problems with taking male hormones.
Reply 55
Tek
Would they let a wheelchair user fight fires? Je pense que non.

Exactly, not simply because the person is in a wheelchair, but because the fact that the person is in a wheelchair means he is not as able to save someone's life.

Social equality comes at a price, and sometimes that price can be someone's life. It's not the fault of the company employing someone who is statistically better to fill a position.
Reply 56
gemma1811
This thread is especially for W.A.S.Hewins - he seems to have a problem with women, especially the feminists on this forum - although the continually says that he does not actually know what a feminist is!

He is continually having a go at women for no reason, i'm thinking he is anti-women and if you try to defend the female race he calls you feminazi and insults you.

I've decided that it would be interesting to hear everyones view on feminism - i personally am not a feminist as I don't know enought about it to be one, however I do know feminists! So what does everyone think?

The word feminist gives such a distorting impression of women who wear dungarees and don't shave their pits. All it means it that you care that women are not exploited, mis/under-represented.
eleenia
The word feminist gives such a distorting impression of women who wear dungarees and don't shave their pits. All it means it that you care that women are not exploited, mis/under-represented.

They burn their bras too.
Reply 58
mik1a
what do they stand for again?
women's rights?

what rights are they still calling for? :confused:

Pointless. And if anyone can answer that last question, I may change my opinion.

equal pay in all occupations is still a grey area i believe, issues of maternity rights and child care too and the rights of women across the world not just in this country.
Reply 59
eleenia

Very true, just take a look here, its not a serious site, but its just like you described.

Latest

Trending

Trending