The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

University of Nottingham Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys i just firmed my choices on ucas and fingers crossed ill get in. I'm doing Civil Engineering btw anyone else on the same course ? :smile:
I checked out the accommodation and my only realistic choice is broadgate studio flat anyone else going there seems nice to be honest!. Just wondering if anyone has anything to say about it, Positive/Negative. I need a point of view asap !!!!
:biggrin:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 161
Original post by oliviagunapalan

Oh my! What are you waiting for??

just applied for it, there were still some half decent room options left, so all is good, as long as I dont get stuck in a flat with some weirds paha
Reply 162
Hi, I stayed in BGP in the last year. I picked the cheapest room on offer (small shared kitchen and bathroom) and it really wasn't too bad. It's the closest self-catered accommodation to Uni Park and only took me about 15 minutes to get to lectures on my bike, maybe half an hour walking. Beeston is great, you can buy almost anything you need in terms of food and household stuff there (massive Tesco, Sainsburys, Lidl, bargain stores and a couple of asian supermarkets)
The kitchen was a bit on the small side and our one had a breakfast bar thing rather than a kitchen table but my friend's flat had a bigger kitchen with a proper table. Did have to keep a suitcase "cupboard" of food under my bed because there wasn't a lot of shelf space. Bathrooms were basic but pretty okay too.
I've heard the combination ovens in the studios can be a pain in the ass and you don't have a lot of opportunity to be social, but I made most of my friends and met the people I'm living with now in BGP. :smile:
Reply 163
Original post by Cohen
Hi, I stayed in BGP in the last year. I picked the cheapest room on offer (small shared kitchen and bathroom) and it really wasn't too bad. It's the closest self-catered accommodation to Uni Park and only took me about 15 minutes to get to lectures on my bike, maybe half an hour walking. Beeston is great, you can buy almost anything you need in terms of food and household stuff there (massive Tesco, Sainsburys, Lidl, bargain stores and a couple of asian supermarkets)
The kitchen was a bit on the small side and our one had a breakfast bar thing rather than a kitchen table but my friend's flat had a bigger kitchen with a proper table. Did have to keep a suitcase "cupboard" of food under my bed because there wasn't a lot of shelf space. Bathrooms were basic but pretty okay too.
I've heard the combination ovens in the studios can be a pain in the ass and you don't have a lot of opportunity to be social, but I made most of my friends and met the people I'm living with now in BGP. :smile:

Hi there, I have chosen to stay at BGP in a single study room. I just wanted to tell that this was very helpful- thankx and would also like to ask if I am allowed to take mini fridges to the school? Many thanks!
Reply 164
Original post by Cohen

How far is Beeston from BGP by bike anyways? There are shops that sell bikes over there right? I'm from overseas and I plan on biking around Notts :tongue: Also, I'm curious, how did you separate your food stuff from your other flatmates in the kitchen cabinets and fridge?
Reply 165
Hi, is it required to pay a deposit fee after confirming the offer?

My contracts page said that a deposit fee of £250 is required but as I accepted my offer this statement was removed. I am confused now. :/
Reply 166
Original post by Shaz51
Hi there, I have chosen to stay at BGP in a single study room. I just wanted to tell that this was very helpful- thankx and would also like to ask if I am allowed to take mini fridges to the school? Many thanks!

No problem, glad to help! My flatmate kept a mini fridge in his room and never had any trouble with that.

Original post by Akiraryuu
How far is Beeston from BGP by bike anyways? There are shops that sell bikes over there right? I'm from overseas and I plan on biking around Notts :tongue: Also, I'm curious, how did you separate your food stuff from your other flatmates in the kitchen cabinets and fridge?

It's less than 10 minutes cycle, 15-20 minutes walking (to reach the far end where Tesco is. The near end of Beeston is like 10 minutes walk). There are second hand bike sales held by the uni, and there's a second hand bike store in Beeston with reasonable prices (I go there to get my bike fixed and stuff.)

This is way off topic but my flatmate's bike got stolen after she left it locked in Beeston station when she went away one weekend. She went to the bike store to get a replacement bike and her old bike was there! She got her bike back (and it had been fully serviced by the shop!), and they caught the guy who stole her bike and sold it to the store. I don't think the store is dodgy, it was just a really stupid bike thief...

BGP has big locked bike sheds that you can use, and Notts in general is very good for cyclists (for England anyway.)

It's kinda the luck of the draw how much space you get. We had a large fridge and freezer in the kitchen (also 4 hob stove, kettle, toaster, microwave, sink and draining board). We had a shelf each in the fridge and a drawer in the freezer. We also had a kitchen cupboard each and maybe 3 drawers. Some cupboards were better than others (one flatmate's cupboard was right over the stove). The general rule was just trusting each other to stay out of each other's food! The main problem was not having enough space, our kitchen was particularly small. I kept things like pans and food like pasta and potatoes in my room, but I'm someone who cooks from scratch almost every day so kinda an extreme example!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 167
Original post by Cohen
It's less than 10 minutes cycle, 15-20 minutes walking (to reach the far end where Tesco is. The near end of Beeston is like 10 minutes walk). There are second hand bike sales held by the uni, and there's a second hand bike store in Beeston with reasonable prices (I go there to get my bike fixed and stuff.)

This is way off topic but my flatmate's bike got stolen after she left it locked in Beeston station when she went away one weekend. She went to the bike store to get a replacement bike and her old bike was there! She got her bike back (and it had been fully serviced by the shop!), and they caught the guy who stole her bike and sold it to the store. I don't think the store is dodgy, it was just a really stupid bike thief...

BGP has big locked bike sheds that you can use, and Notts in general is very good for cyclists (for England anyway.)

It's kinda the luck of the draw how much space you get. We had a large fridge and freezer in the kitchen (also 4 hob stove, kettle, toaster, microwave, sink and draining board). We had a shelf each in the fridge and a drawer in the freezer. We also had a kitchen cupboard each and maybe 3 drawers. Some cupboards were better than others (one flatmate's cupboard was right over the stove). The general rule was just trusting each other to stay out of each other's food! The main problem was not having enough space, our kitchen was particularly small. I kept things like pans and food like pasta and potatoes in my room, but I'm someone who cooks from scratch almost every day so kinda an extreme example!

Brilliant! I'm definitely getting a bike then since I don't fancy carrying heavy groceries back to the flat. :tongue: Also, that was one very stupid thief who stole your flatmate's bike. Hahaha. How much is it for a second-hand bike?

Hope I get a good kitchen and nice flatmates who don't steal my food then. :smile:
Reply 168
Original post by John G
Just a question: How much does a bus card cost in nottingham? I'm thinking of living off campus and would like to know how much to budget for the cost of the bus to university.

I'm going to be living off campus too - you have two main options if you want an annual pass. You can either get a citycard which only covers Nottingham City Transport buses which costs £336 (http://www.nctx.co.uk/nct-fares/easyrider-citycard/). The other option is kangaroo which covers all bus companies, the tram and local trains which is £384 (http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2809).

Hope this helps.
Reply 169
If you don't have a bike, you can do the super-goofy option of "take a suitcase to Tesco". I actually did this several times. You look weird but it saves carrying heavy things. Some people simply steal a trolley...
I think you can buy bikes second hand for £50 or so.
Reply 170
Original post by Cohen
If you don't have a bike, you can do the super-goofy option of "take a suitcase to Tesco". I actually did this several times. You look weird but it saves carrying heavy things. Some people simply steal a trolley...
I think you can buy bikes second hand for £50 or so.

Brilliant! Thanks :biggrin:
Hey, found a FB group for Ancaster Freshers starting in 2012 - Here's the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/291316864291892/
Reply 172
Original post by Fuero
I got allocated a single study in Lincoln Hall! :biggrin:

Hey, I got allocated shared ensuite in Lincoln Hall, see you there! :smile:
So I applied for accommodation at BP 3 weeks ago. Didn't hear anything, so decided to contact them. They said that they sent me an offer and the I didn't reply so they then withdrew it. Turns out, I was not sent an offer in the first place. They re-sent it this morning, and I've registered, but can't find the offer anywhere. Contacted them but still waiting. Any information would be great and appreciated:smile: Thanks
Reply 174
Original post by harrietariley
Hey, I got allocated shared ensuite in Lincoln Hall, see you there! :smile:

Great! :smile:
Reply 175
Just been allocated a shared en suite in Lincoln Hall! :-)
Reply 176
Hey!

So, I've officially accepted my offer from Nottingham. But when I tried to log into the accomodation system, it wouldn't let me. Invalid credentials it said :frown: how long should it take? I have an applicant ID.

My birthday is the 28th of february, I was born 1991. That should mean my password is 28feb91, no?

Also, while we're at it, I'm seriously tempted to stay at iQ. Seems like you get a lot more for your money. Is it hard to get from iQ to the university park?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by John G
Hey!

So, I've officially accepted my offer from Nottingham. But when I tried to log into the accomodation system, it wouldn't let me. Invalid credentials it said :frown: how long should it take? I have an applicant ID.

My birthday is the 28th of february, I was born 1991. That should mean my password is 28feb91, no?

Also, while we're at it, I'm seriously tempted to stay at iQ. Seems like you get a lot more for your money. Is it hard to get from iQ to the university park?

You can't login to sort out your accomodation immediatly after you accept your offer. Give it a couple of days to go through the system then try again.

If you're still having problems I'd suggest emailing admissions for help :smile:
Reply 178
Hi guys, do you know if we can start paying our accommodation fees NOW?? I'm paying mine directly, and even though they say the payment deadline fro the first instalment (August), I was wondering if I could pay it in May if I wanted to, I'm (well, my parents) getting a little anxious... THANKS!!! =)
Original post by mary1479
Hi guys, do you know if we can start paying our accommodation fees NOW?? I'm paying mine directly, and even though they say the payment deadline fro the first instalment (August), I was wondering if I could pay it in May if I wanted to, I'm (well, my parents) getting a little anxious... THANKS!!! =)

I'm in a similiar situation to you, paying the fees directly to the uni.

I assume that we'll be able to pay after results day come through, and you get your unconditional offer otherwise they could have a load of people pay for their accomodation and then not get a place.

Why do you email the uni to check though?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending