The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

University of Nottingham Accommodation

I'm from Malaysia, and I was thinking of making Nottingham my firm choice.

Can you guys help me out? I have no idea which accommodation I should choose? I've read the previous threads and most people prefer the location of Cripps and Hugh Stewart halls, but I was wondering what about the room types?

I'd really appreciate any help on this. Thanks guys :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I was wondering this too, there's a list of the room types on the notts website though which might help :smile: I've heard from a lot of people its not worth getting an ensuite at university park halls, any opinions?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by The_Super_Nerd(:
I was wondering this too, there's a list of the room types on the notts website though which might help :smile: I've heard from a lot of people its not worth getting an ensuite at university park halls, any opinions?

Yeah I've look at the virtual tours on the uni website, but I wanna see what students who've like actually been there say you know. Universities tend to show only the good side of their accommodation.. :/
You looking for catered?
Reply 4
Hi,
It really depends what matters to you about accomodation - for proximity to accademic buildings (apart from History), Cripps and Hugh Stewart are best. For proximity to sports facilities, Nightingale is only a 30 second walk across the grass. For a community atmosphere I have heard that Florence Boot is very good, as it is a relatively small hall, and everything is in one (beautiful) building so you get to know people very quickly. For high spec. facilities I believe Nightingale is the newest - with larger room sizes and the majority being en-suite.
I stayed in Sherwood for 5 days on a conference, and I found the bathrooms to be dark, cramped and stained, and the walls paper-thin, but it all depends on what you want out of a hall.
Reply 5
..and I've just realised that you were asking about room types rather than halls! Sorry..
Original post by dsinghdahiya257
You looking for catered?

Yeah, I'm going to be a first year, so I would prefer catered :smile:
Original post by Kalishka
Hi,
It really depends what matters to you about accomodation - for proximity to accademic buildings (apart from History), Cripps and Hugh Stewart are best. For proximity to sports facilities, Nightingale is only a 30 second walk across the grass. For a community atmosphere I have heard that Florence Boot is very good, as it is a relatively small hall, and everything is in one (beautiful) building so you get to know people very quickly. For high spec. facilities I believe Nightingale is the newest - with larger room sizes and the majority being en-suite.
I stayed in Sherwood for 5 days on a conference, and I found the bathrooms to be dark, cramped and stained, and the walls paper-thin, but it all depends on what you want out of a hall.

It's alright! Thanks for the information on the halls! :smile:
Reply 8
Are you allowed to pick halls this year? Last year it was room type and UP/BGP/SPC etc.
Original post by alexs2602
Are you allowed to pick halls this year? Last year it was room type and UP/BGP/SPC etc.

I have no idea. :/
Original post by oliviagunapalan
I have no idea. :/

Doesn't matter. Pick good halls and put them on the form under special reqs or whatever the section is called - it's been a year. I would dissuade you from Ancaster and Cavendish on the basis they're pretty much the same from what I gather and I live in Ancaster. FloBo seems fairly spacious. Nightingale's bar is nice enough. Hugh Stu, Cripps, Lincoln and Derby seem nice. The rest I don't really remember much about.
Reply 11
Hi :smile:
I'm hoping to place Nottingham as my firm... which Halls would any Nottingham students recommend in the Self-Catered ones?
I heard St.Peter's is good and a decent price

Alsoooo! Which is better between catered and self-catered??.. i mean i wana make the most of what im paying for but i also like the idea of cooking my own food
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by judhika
Hi :smile:
I'm hoping to place Nottingham as my firm... which Halls would any Nottingham students recommend in the Self-Catered ones?
I heard St.Peter's is good and a decent price

Alsoooo! Which is better between catered and self-catered??.. i mean i wana make the most of what im paying for but i also like the idea of cooking my own food

Catered food is fairly terrible. Other than that; location and that probably sums it up for the most part. BGP is very popular, close to west entrance and Beeston(area with Tescos, Sainsburys and other little shops for general day to day shopping).

All I know about SPC is that it's closer to town so would probably save money on cabs if you go out clubbing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Catered food is fairly terrible. Other than that; location and that probably sums it up for the most part. BGP is very popular, close to west entrance and Beeston(area with Tescos, Sainsburys and other little shops for general day to day shopping).

May I ask what your experiences were? Catered/ Self-Catered? Which Halls? Thanks :smile:
Original post by judhika
May I ask what your experiences were? Catered/ Self-Catered? Which Halls? Thanks :smile:

Catered. Ancaster Hall. What do you want to know? The food AT halls isn't that great but then again what do you expect? Personally I find it a bit taxing on the bank balance(in my defence I chose my room based on what I expected to get from loan/grant). But then again looking at the price difference between BGP and UP you're probably saving huge amounts of money going catered. £400-500 difference it looks like - that'll last you 20 weeks~ in regards to expenditure on food living in self catered halls. Two terms alone are more than 20 weeks. Lunches can be fairly good though, if you're catered. - there is tons of choice(4 places for sandwiches and the like, another 4 places for hot food(not including the places that do sandwiches with hot options too) and 4 mix bars, which are places at 4 halls on campus that do hot food, oh and a place at the sports centre. I may be missing places too.)!

Ask if I've missed anything you'd like to know.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Catered. Ancaster Hall. What do you want to know? The food AT halls isn't that great but then again what do you expect? Personally I find it a bit taxing on the bank balance(in my defence I chose my room based on what I expected to get from loan/grant). But then again looking at the price difference between BGP and UP you're probably saving huge amounts of money going catered. £400-500 difference it looks like - that'll last you 20 weeks~ in regards to expenditure on food living in self catered halls. Two terms alone are more than 20 weeks. Lunches can be fairly good though, if you're catered. - there is tons of choice(4 places for sandwiches and the like, another 4 places for hot food(not including the places that do sandwiches with hot options too) and 4 mix bars, which are places at 4 halls on campus that do hot food, oh and a place at the sports centre. I may be missing places too.)!

Ask if I've missed anything you'd like to know.

Thanks for taking the time to write that :smile: I see what you mean.. cos when i look at the prices it seems like i'd be saving a lot! current students ive asked ( like 3) say the food isnt great but oh well kinda thing.. all i wana do is have a good time with no stress! so Catered seems better that way and kinda cheaper too am i right?

also did you share a bathroom or En Suite? i hattteee the idea of sharing but is it all that bad?
Original post by oliviagunapalan
I'm from Malaysia, and I was thinking of making Nottingham my firm choice.

Can you guys help me out? I have no idea which accommodation I should choose? I've read the previous threads and most people prefer the location of Cripps and Hugh Stewart halls, but I was wondering what about the room types?

I'd really appreciate any help on this. Thanks guys :smile:

You don't get a choice as to the individual hall any more, you just pick "University Campus" (well you did last year anyway).

I'd definitely make sure you're on campus, I'm in Lenton and Wortley and I have a 5-10 minute walk to my lectures... a lot of my course friends have to spends ages messing about with buses because they live off campus.
Original post by judhika
Thanks for taking the time to write that :smile: I see what you mean.. cos when i look at the prices it seems like i'd be saving a lot! current students ive asked ( like 3) say the food isnt great but oh well kinda thing.. all i wana do is have a good time with no stress! so Catered seems better that way and kinda cheaper too am i right?

also did you share a bathroom or En Suite? i hattteee the idea of sharing but is it all that bad?

From what I understand if you're self catered then £25 per week is a pretty average spend on food. There's 31 weeks in the entire year(if you go home as soon as term finishes instead of staying over the holidays) - that's £775 on food. It may not sound like much but a few extra quid per week can't hurt. You do get set food times for breakfast and dinner but if you can't make it to meal times then you can talk to the chef and get a packed breakfast/dinner put aside. I havent tried them YET(will be on thursday if all goes to plan) but it allows you a meal without having to rush it(if you can 'make it' but would have to be quick to make it somewhere like a sports club or soc event).

Share, it's fine. Although I'll be perfectly honest, I'm actually pretty lucky in that Ancaster is mostly ensuite and therefore I only share my bathroom with two other people. What are your concerns about sharing? I assume you share at home, so is there any difference at uni? If you have an ensuite at home then you can probably afford to go ensuite so it's your choice but I don't think it's worth it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
ooo! Another question, is it really useful being close to your building??? Nottingham Students keep bringing this up.. is it quite important then?
Reply 19
Yeah that is true i share with family.. i dno.. I just suppose its cos i wouldnt know the people before hand.. which sounds really fussy now i think about it.. do people maintain the bathrooms quite well and stuff? I'm not like a hygiene freak.. just dont want it to be some horror lol

So is it generally cheaper to go catered do you reckon with food prices increasing and stuff?

And which would you say is the best catered halls on campus?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending