The Student Room Group

Girl injured by speeding driver awarded £5m

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rjmorey1
The family supply chicken and poultry meat to KFC and other take aways, they also supply to Tesco, Waitrose and Sainsburys. Still want to boycott the company? Personally I think they should make him work for what he did. Why let him have the privilage of sitting around playing playstation in prison?

Do you mean that to say that prisons have Playstations or daddy would buy him one?

Real prison life for the regular person is rough and not as glam as the media portrays it to be, however money can be sent in for the prisoner and they can use that to buy items from Argos or HMV so in that sense I doubt daddy would mind not getting the item cheap online and a maximum of 2 electrical devices.

I knew someone in prison for a few years who owned a portable tv and digi box and that was their entire possesions bar tatty clothes.
It can't possibly cost that much to keep the girl and pay for her parents so they can care for her rather than work if they choose to! I agree they need some form of support to help the girl who was injured, but that's just excessive.

I think we're seeing the actualisation that prison doesn't actually change anyone's behaviour (In general) and so they decided to punish the driver the way that hurt him most which was to take his money. It's a shame as his parents probably earned all the money he had not the 19 year old so they've effectively punished his parents for his actions.

Does no one else find it funny has we treat crimes based on the end result not the crime itself!? Doing 70 in a 30 zone si probably a years ban on driving and a £500 fine. Because he committed that exact crime, but the consequence was different he got £450,000 a year fine and 18 months or whatever in jail.
Reply 42
I think that the money was fair. We need to remember that the money will not only be going on her health care but to also compensate whatever loss of earning her parents will have to deal with as a result of not being able to work, and receiving any benefits that come with that, so promotions, bonuses etc.
It will also have to cover what the girl might have earned had the crash not happened, for all we know she could have been the next mark zuckerberg (probably wouldn't have been, but we don't know)

I need more coffee.
Reply 43
Original post by The Phelps
It can't possibly cost that much to keep the girl and pay for her parents so they can care for her rather than work if they choose to! I agree they need some form of support to help the girl who was injured, but that's just excessive.

I think we're seeing the actualisation that prison doesn't actually change anyone's behaviour (In general) and so they decided to punish the driver the way that hurt him most which was to take his money. It's a shame as his parents probably earned all the money he had not the 19 year old so they've effectively punished his parents for his actions.

Does no one else find it funny has we treat crimes based on the end result not the crime itself!? Doing 70 in a 30 zone si probably a years ban on driving and a £500 fine. Because he committed that exact crime, but the consequence was different he got £450,000 a year fine and 18 months or whatever in jail.

The guy doesn't have to pay a penny. He's covered by some sort of insurance, as noted in the article. You seem pretty retarded dismissing the relation between consequences and 'end result' as you put it. If he had of killed her (rather than leaving her as a cabbage) he would have been looking at a far harsher sentence. Tbh who the hell would wana live on a ventilator, having 5 million stuck in your parents account lol.
Original post by Lamps08
The guy doesn't have to pay a penny. He's covered by some sort of insurance, as noted in the article. You seem pretty retarded dismissing the relation between consequences and 'end result' as you put it. If he had of killed her (rather than leaving her as a cabbage) he would have been looking at a far harsher sentence. Tbh who the hell would wana live on a ventilator, having 5 million stuck in your parents account lol.

Sorry, I did skip reading and the article and got ahead of myself. My point still stands about punishment being different depending on the end result. Regardless of the intention it's only the affect it has that judges the punishment. You're punishing the 19 y/o for committing a crime that many people have committed, but received much softer punishments. If he had intentionally speed to crash into the car and cause harm to the girl it would be different. All he did was speed! granted he deserves the punishment if not more of a punishment!
Original post by Miracle Day
Meanwhile, there are millions of people in Africa starving to death.

The family is already a millionaire one, isn't 5m abit much?

This girl needs 24 hour care, and can't breath without a ventilator, her whole life is now ruined, she won't be able to lead a normal life, and won't be able to pursue a career, whereas the guy who ran the girl over served only 6 months of his life in prison, and the family of millionaires lose £5 Million, but their son will still lead a comfortable life, they'll still have a lot more money.

Yes, there are millions of people in Africa starving to death, but that does not mean we shouldn't care and provide justice for our own citizens. Starving kids in Africa does not mean kids in this country have to be miserable too.
Reply 46
Original post by Miracle Day
Meanwhile, there are millions of people in Africa starving to death.

The family is already a millionaire one, isn't 5m abit much?

Yet these children probably do not have to use ventilators unlike this girl.
Reply 47
Original post by The Phelps
Sorry, I did skip reading and the article and got ahead of myself. My point still stands about punishment being different depending on the end result. Regardless of the intention it's only the affect it has that judges the punishment. You're punishing the 19 y/o for committing a crime that many people have committed, but received much softer punishments. If he had intentionally speed to crash into the car and cause harm to the girl it would be different. All he did was speed! granted he deserves the punishment if not more of a punishment!

He only actually got charged with dangerous driving, not even GBH, which I'm sure is/was harsher (before new law). The fact is he got off very lightly when he could have easily killed her. I do take you point somewhat but it would be impractical to charge everyone who speeds with the same sentence length as someone's who kills someone carrying out the same action. Consequences are a bitch :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by Politricks
whereas the guy who ran the girl over served only 6 months of his life in prison, and the family of millionaires lose £5 Million, but their son will still lead a comfortable life, they'll still have a lot more money.

Family didnt pay anything though :P
Original post by Tommyjw
Family didnt pay anything though :P

That £5 Million was all his own money?
Good, even better
Reply 50
I might be going against the grain of some people, but I would argue that they could have given her £20m and it still would not account for a life that has been irrevocably damaged.
Original post by Linweth
Yet these children probably do not have to use ventilators unlike this girl.

Really? These children do not have food, health care, a stable household, clean water.. unlike this girl
Original post by aliluvschoc
I might be going against the grain of some people, but I would argue that they could have given her £20m and it still would not account for a life that has been irrevocably damaged.

scary signature ! why do you keep it? some people find it scary you know.
Reply 53
Original post by James A
scary signature ! why do you keep it? some people find it scary you know.

Forgive me, I did not believe the members of this forum would be genuinely frightened of a sliding picture on the internet of a giant sexface.
Reply 54
Original post by Politricks
That £5 Million was all his own money?
Good, even better

Was from insurance lol
Original post by Tommyjw
Was from insurance lol

Oh..
Forgive me, I did not believe the members of this forum would be genuinely frightened of a sliding picture on the internet of a giant sexface.

well its because you see a blank white space, then boom! something yellow appears at first which is scary, then when you see the veins in the sexface, that's when it gets spine chilling.
Reply 57
Original post by James A
well its because you see a blank white space, then boom! something yellow appears at first which is scary, then when you see the veins in the sexface, that's when it gets spine chilling.

:colone: All going to plan then.
I'm guessing this £450,000 a year rises with inflation, otherwise £450,000 might be peanuts in 50 years time.
:colone: All going to plan then.

in all honesty, keep it, i think it makes you a unique TSR member without a shadow of a doubt

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending