The Student Room Group

Surely we'll never pay back our Tuition Fees. Have I made an error here?

Scroll to see replies

By running the numbers on some typical situations it looks likely only those towards the higher end of the income scale will ever repay what they borrowed.

In one way it's good, as it means the level of the tuition fees is irrelevant to most people - they'll just keep paying the same proportion each month and if they don't earn enough, they won't come close to paying back what was borrowed (never mind the interest). But it's bad in another as it means the loan won't be cleared until it's wiped after thirty years.

Source: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-tuition-fees-changes#8
(also has a good table detailing the sort of salary you'll need if you're ever going to pay it back)
Original post by Forum User

IMO if you have any kind of ability at all, are in a graduate career, and you are still on £30k after 10-20 years of employment you are doing something very wrong.

My dad graduated from Cambridge with a pass in maths degree over 30 years ago. He is now working 3 days a week in the Probation Service, and earns about £19,000. He is perfectly happy with that and has no desire to earn more.

Money isn't everything. There is more to life than money!
Reply 22
It was Buckinghamshire, I don't think that has a particularly good reputation.

It's private, so she paid more than everybody else to gain her salary.
Reply 23
does any one know, after graduating from Electrical and Electronic Engineering. What Is the Average amount of salary ?
Original post by Tommyjw
Be right back, giving a **** about what your girlfriend is doing and pretending like it means sweet **** all to the discussion.

Surely an example of an average degree from an average university leading to a salary which is more than the £30k that was suggested was 'reasonable' to hold as a 45 year old is apposite to the discussion.

If someone can give any example of a 45 year old graduate earning *less* than £30k (in a graduate career) then that would be relevant too.
Reply 25
My brother is a secondary school teacher and he is on vastly more than £30k, living in Manchester so no 'london weighting'.

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/secondary_school_teacher_salary.htm

As before, no1 gives a **** about what people you know earn. The fact is that below 30k is the average.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by cmas123
It's private, so she paid more than everybody else to gain her salary.

Are you thinking of university of buckingham? buckinghamshire uni is not private.
Reply 27
Surely an example of an average degree from an average university leading to a salary which is more than the £30k that was suggested was 'reasonable' to hold as a 45 year old is apposite to the discussion.

If someone can give any example of a 45 year old graduate earning *less* than £30k (in a graduate career) then that would be relevant too.

Your girlfriend doing it does not mean it is or can be the norm. Very simple.

The average person with the average degree wont earn 50k, simple as that.
Reply 28
My brother is a secondary school teacher and he is on vastly more than £30k, living in Manchester so no 'london weighting'.

Seems unlikely http://www.prospects.ac.uk/secondary...her_salary.htm
Reply 29
Are you thinking of university of buckingham? buckinghamshire uni is not private.

Buckinghamshire Uni doesn't exist.. you probably meant Buckinghamshire New is it isn't private
The ridiculous thing is, you have to pay interest on your course fee's whilst you're studying, at the rate of inflation (5%) plus 3%, so after 3 years of studying, not including maintenance, you'll be about £31000 in debt.

That seriously sucks.
Original post by Tommyjw
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/secondary_school_teacher_salary.htm

As before, no1 gives a **** about what people you know earn The fact is that below 30k is the average.

No it isn't, not even remotely close.

The *vast* majority of teachers who have been in the job for a significant number of years have 'other responsibilities' than merely teaching. They are 'heads of year', 'department heads or vice heads', or if they are doing well 'deputy head teachers', and every single one of these additional duties receives increased pay.
Reply 32
Getting back to the point, is it worth me studying at Edinburgh with the cost of an extra year?
Original post by cmas123
Obvious that I'm going to be studying English Literature, and not economics! Basically here, I'm trying to work out whether it'll be worth going to Edinburgh Uni, which is my best offer, with all the extra costs that'll come with studying for an extra year...

Uni is generally viewed as good for employment prospects. However, it is also probably the most memorable three-year period of your life. I'd say that's worth something, but it depends on your priorities.

See my reply on the same point to the other chap in this thread. I am sure that teachers of 25 years tenure with *no* additional duties i.e. 'head of year', 'department head / vice head' are in the minority and not the majority. And you're right, I meant 'Buckinghamshire New University' (though it was probably called Chiltern College at the time).
Reply 35
No it isn't, not even remotely close.

The *vast* majority of teachers who have been in the job for a significant number of years have 'other responsibilities' than merely teaching. They are 'heads of year', 'department heads or vice heads', or if they are doing well 'deputy head teachers', and every single one of these additional duties receives increased pay.

O im sorry, i forgot you knew more about the indusry than actual sources who have facts. :daydreaming:

Did you really just say that the vast majority of teachers are heads of departments etc? ... :facepalm2: You do realize that there isnt one teacher for every department?... thus the majority will thus NOT be head of department? ....

P.s. Head teachers and deputy heads are that, that is there job title, they are not then 'secondary school teachers' included into that pay scale. Just fyi.
(edited 12 years ago)
But you also neglected the interest, which is something like 3% + inflation.

I think I worked out a while ago that you needed to average 65k a year to be rid of your debt. ( with inflation as it is )

And that was also for all the student finance etc.
Reply 37
Original post by TurboCretin
Uni is generally viewed as good for employment prospects. However, it is also probably the most memorable three-year period of your life. I'd say that's worth something, but it depends on your priorities.

Yeah, but if I went somewhere in England I'd still have all the experience, I'd just drop the cost by a fair bit. Or would I? That's what i'm wondering
Reply 38
See my reply on the same point to the other chap in this thread. I am sure that teachers of 25 years tenure with *no* additional duties i.e. 'head of year', 'department head / vice head' are in the minority and not the majority. And you're right, I meant 'Buckinghamshire New University' (though it was probably called Chiltern College at the time).

At my school less than half the teachers have an added 'Title Role.'
Original post by Tommyjw
O im sorry, i forgot you knew more about the indusry than actual sources who have facts. :daydreaming:

Did you really just say that the vast majority of teachers are heads of departments etc? ... :facepalm2: You do realize that there isnt one teacher for every department?... thus the majority will thus NOT be head of department? ....

No, I'm not saying that the majority of teachers are heads of department. I am saying that the majority of teachers of 25-year tenure have some additional responsibilities, one example of which is 'head of department'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending