The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Shivering?

If we're talking normal homeostasis, then I'd guess that is the most relevant thing it does. Obviously once you start exercising and so on then it changes as you warm up, but the muscles themselves aren't involved in temperature regulation at that point - they're the ones causing the temperature to rise!
Reply 2
I'm really not a scientist- but from the little bit of GCSE I did- I imagine it's muscle contraction increases the internal body temperature and flax and inactive muscles obviously mean the area surrounding it is less warm. Is that at all right or relevant!? Homeostatis is the constant maintenance of a constant internal body temperature- but as Helen said- the muscles don't control the temp I think the brain does.
When more body heat needs to be generated, skeletal muscle can be called into play. In a cold environment, the peripheral thermoreceptors will relay the signal to the hypothalamus. The central thermoreceptors will also notify the hypothalamus if blood temperature drops below normal. In response to this neural input, the hypothalamus activates the brain centers that control muscle tone. These centers will stimulate small and rapid neuromuscular reactions (shivering). This increased muscle(skeletal) activity will generate heat.
When the skin or the blood is heated, the hypothalamus will not only send impulses to sweat glands, but also to smooth muscle tissue in the walls of the arterioles that supply the skin with blood, causing them to vasodilate (increase in diameter). This reaction will subsequently increase local blood flow to the skin. The blood carries heat from the deep interior of the body, and is more able to release that heat if blood flow to the surface of the skin is increased.
Reply 4
Ahh thanks guys.
Reply 5
Myoepitheliod cells at the glomus shunt vessel?
Reply 6
PadFoot90
Anyone know how the muscular system affects temperature regulation in the body? Rep reward:p:

At low temperatures an involuntary response is sent to body muscles to start the ennervation or twitching known as shivering.

Other muscles cause skin contraction and body hairs to rise (raised hair increase the insulation effect of fur in wild animals -a muscle action that helps in keeping the animal keep warmer in cold climes by effectively increasing the bulk and thickness of the external insulating layer (fur) of the animal.

The Krebs Cycle enzyme system that enables Oxygen to be transported to muscles relies on Adenosine TriPhosphate or ATP.

The Kreb's Cycle activation of ATP enables muscular function tooperate andheat is generated as a by-product.

Excess bodily heat is carried away from activated muscle tissue by bloodflow to the veins, which aids in mammalian cooling.

Disabling ATP by toxins such as Cyanide disrupts the Kreb's cycle and stops muscular function - mortality through muscular system dysfunction is the result of 'taking out' ATP by CN ions.

In the case of over-use of muscle tissue (such as when joggers 'go for the burn' or exceed the pain threshold when running), the rate at which excess heat is taken away from muscles is insufficient to match the cooling effect of bloodflow in the veins and lactic acid accumulation and eventually liquidification of muscle tissue can result in extreme cases - if the muscle gets too hot.

Liquidation of muscle tissue is nature's way of telling your body it needs to cool off. The muscular system has an important role in heat adjustment in the mammalian bodily system.

:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending