The Student Room Group

Dropping an AS, does it matter?

Hi everyone,
I know it is really late but I really want to drop AS Art,
I feel like im wasting my time when I am not enjoying it and I could be focusing on my other subjects - English lang/lit, history and film studies
I havnt submitted any coursework or done an exam in this subject yet
I want to apply to do English at uni..
Will uni's mind I only have 3 AS levels as well as 3 A levels?
I wouldn't say it matters. Are you in Year 12 or 13? Lots of people in my year started off with 4 and then dropped one in Year 13. Regardless even if you start off with 3, no university asks or particularly prefers 4. Even oxbridge only asks for 3. The thing is though, if you do take 4 I think it shows universities that you are very capable of handling work load and basically that you have good potential. But if you REALLY want to drop art then it isn't worth it. You'd be better off doing really well at 3 a levels you like. I mean some people even do 5 but as I said, it isn't really worth it.
Universities only look for 3.

Actually I forgot to say. Some don't even look for 3 some only look for 2, or are just interested in the amount of points you get.

A neg for that? Really? Someone's holding a grudge...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice, it has really helped me, im in year 12 :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by oElectronic
I wouldn't say it matters. Are you in Year 12 or 13? Lots of people in my year started off with 4 and then dropped one in Year 13. Regardless even if you start off with 3, no university asks or particularly prefers 4. Even oxbridge only asks for 3. The thing is though, if you do take 4 I think it shows universities that you are very capable of handling work load and basically that you have good potential. But if you REALLY want to drop art then it isn't worth it. You'd be better off doing really well at 3 a levels you like. I mean some people even do 5 but as I said, it isn't really worth it.
Universities only look for 3.

Actually I forgot to say. Some don't even look for 3 some only look for 2, or are just interested in the amount of points you get.

They're doing AS's according to their sig.

More so called "prestigous unis" will want 3, and they won't gie an offer of points it'll be grades e.g. ABB. It does depend on where you wanna go though I suppose, there's nothing wrong with an offer of points. But you're right that you only need 3 A2 levels.
In long run, its best that you do really well in 3 A-levels, if you use the free time wisely and put in extra work for the rest of your subjects, then I don't see how there can be a problem.
Best of luck :smile:
Reply 5
Don't worry. I dropped AS Geography a week after the March results and the universities don't seem to mind or even question it :smile: Best thing I've ever done :biggrin:
I dropped my 4th AS, and haven't been able to include it on my UCAS because it will be discounted as of this summer due to how the modules for Further Maths and Maths work, so I only have 3AS grades.
My offers include offers from Russell Group unis, and so I don't think not having 4AS grades will affect your university application :biggrin:
Reply 7
Aw guys, thanks so much! Made me feel so much happier that I know others in my position!:smile:
Reply 8
If you do a course search, it will tell you what universities 'prefer'. Some will say '3.5', by this 3 A2s and 1 AS, others will just say they prefer '3'. I'd say it depends on where you want to go.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by sarah1345
If you do a course search, it will tell you what universities 'prefer'. Some will say '3.5', by this 3 A2s and 1 AS, others will just say they prefer '3'. I'd say it depends on where you won't to go.

Can you do this on the ucas website?
Reply 10
It maybe
Reply 11
Keep art. Trust me, grade requirements change from year to year.

Coventry screwed me up because they changed their requirements from 3 to 3.5 and i only had 3. From AS, i based my subjects on that 3, not the 3.5. They rejected me.

But it also depends on the course and the university you're thinking about.
Reply 12
I cant see on unis where it says 3.5 can anyone look at english language at Aston and Birmingham, do they require 3.5, it does not say?
Reply 13
Original post by Chriss95
I cant see on unis where it says 3.5 can anyone look at english language at Aston and Birmingham, do they require 3.5, it does not say?

They may not say it now, but they could change next year [when you're applying.] If art's making your other subject grades suffer, then by all means drop it- getting 3 good grades is better than 4 'meh' grades. But if it's not, keep at it for a few more months, it won't hurt.
Reply 14
Agree with above
Hi everyone,
I know it is really late but I really want to drop AS Art,
I feel like im wasting my time when I am not enjoying it and I could be focusing on my other subjects - English lang/lit, history and film studies
I havnt submitted any coursework or done an exam in this subject yet
I want to apply to do English at uni..
Will uni's mind I only have 3 AS levels as well as 3 A levels?

not a problem
Reply 16
Thanks for the advice, it has really helped me, im in year 12 :smile:

I was in the same position as you with Spanish last year. I really advise you to drop art, you only need to do well in 3 subjects. I ended up getting 3A's because of all the free time I had to put effort into my other subjects, seriously, do it and never look back! AAA looks WAAYYYYYYYYY better than AAAC/D/E. :smile:
Reply 17
Thank you it will give me so much less stress :smile:
it varies! my friend got an offer from Oxford this year and she only did 3 AS levels :smile: either way like other people have said, AAA will look better than AABD or something.
Reply 19
Original post by doloroushazy
it varies! my friend got an offer from Oxford this year and she only did 3 AS levels :smile: either way like other people have said, AAA will look better than AABD or something.

Wow, thanks for this :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending