Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone else sometimes suffer anxiety at times whilst driving?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday I set out on my first drive alone since passing my test 13 months ago, As expected I wasn't instantly the perfect driver but was so so, didn't make any major mistakes, asides from a little lane confusion and being to fast on the clutch I guess I did rather good.

I set out on another drive in my car this morning and I felt really confident with my driving, make great progress on being in the correct lane and was better on the clutch, I even drove into roads knowingly with heavy traffic and challenging conditions and managed fine.

However I set out again on another drive this afternoon, 2pm approx to about 3pm, for some reason my nerves were shattered, I made stupid mistakes, stalled several times and at awkward places, to fast on the clutch and was kind of weaving between lanes

I don't know what caused by confidence knock, I drove great this morning but for some reason my following drive in the afternoon I felt all panicky and shaky and caused many mistakes.

Does anybody else get this to, you feel fine one minute and the next your a nervous wreak? :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bump

EDIT: A neg, really a neg?? for what?!?!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You will get used to it, honestly.

I find my driving is affected by my mood which can change from day to day anyway.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kage)
    You will get used to it, honestly.

I find my driving is affected by my mood which can change from day to day anyway.
    Thank you! I guess it could just determine on my mood and confidence. I just don't understand how I'm fine one moment and not long after the complete opposite ??
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polo-)
    Thank you! I guess it could just determine on my mood and confidence. I just don't understand how I'm fine one moment and not long after the complete opposite ??
    I guess since its your first time alone after so long, it will take a long time to build up confidence in different scenario's/times.

You will get there.

As for the clutch thing, you will get so used to driving your car, you won't have to think about anything except driving.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You'll find the anxiousness will happen less and less often the longer you drive. It's perfectly normal though. I've been driving for 6 years and still would get anxious in certain situations. Some situations are:

- Driving in busy university / shopping centre car parks with people just reversing out in front of you left right and centre.

- Women with kids in people carriers tend to put the fear of Christ into me too. I tend to absolutely floor it away when I end up driving beside one of those.

- Cyclists. I get a bit anxious when driving near cyclists as half of them are suicidal. Veering out in front of my car, travelling on the wrong side of the road, ignoring traffic lights. If someone wants to kill themselves that's fine by me, but I don't want to go to jail. Soft squishy things have no place on the road.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kage)
    I guess since its your first time alone after so long, it will take a long time to build up confidence in different scenario's/times.

You will get there.
    Thank you, couldn't really have asked for better advice, sound man

As for the clutch thing, you will get so used to driving your car, you won't have to think about anything except driving.

(Original post by Ghost)
    You'll find the anxiousness will happen less and less often the longer you drive. It's perfectly normal though. I've been driving for 6 years and still would get anxious in certain situations. Some situations are:

- Driving in busy university / shopping centre car parks with people just reversing out in front of you left right and centre.

- Women with kids in people carriers tend to put the fear of Christ into me too. I tend to absolutely floor it away when I end up driving beside one of those.

- Cyclists. I get a bit anxious when driving near cyclists as half of them are suicidal. Veering out in front of my car, travelling on the wrong side of the road, ignoring traffic lights. If someone wants to kill themselves that's fine by me, but I don't want to go to jail. Soft squishy things have no place on the road.

Thanks lad.

That bit made me laugh so much!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I get nervous when i see cars appearing at junctions off a main road as i had an accident like that.

Also get nervous if i overtake a car and then see it speed it, thinking its an unmarked police car ha, nervous when very low on fuel.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Does anyone else sometimes suffer anxiety at times whilst driving"

Only on the track after an oil down or light rain.
    Crossed the finish line in a pals race car sideways @ 100mph once after a light shower. That was an "anxious" moment. I nearly ate the seat with my sphincter. :eek: Had her on full oposite lock too! God knows how I managed to get her straitened up and didn't stuff it into the wall.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 25, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.