Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

family relationship vs your future

Announcements Posted on

Hi

my mother is expecting a baby (6th child). I am the second oldest (female) and I do most of the housework (cleaning baby sittin etc..as I have a disable brother of 8 yrs and a sister of 3 yrs).
    I am always missing class when my mother is really ill or when she has an appointment with GP or anything about my little bro and my sis.
    One day I had an interview for uni. I was really excited but my parents cancelled it due to family reasons..luckily for me the uni gave me another date.

the question is. Is it fair for me to be the only one to miss college and important events for the family? Why cannot my brother (22yrs in uni) miss sometimes and let me go to college? What do u think??
    Because he goes even doring the weekend. Also I never have the time to do my coursework (assignment) and I ended up doing it last minute at college...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi

my mother is expecting a baby (6th child). I am the second oldest (female) and I do most of the housework (cleaning baby sittin etc..as I have a disable brother of 8 yrs and a sister of 3 yrs).
    I am always missing class when my mother is really ill or when she has an appointment with GP or anything about my little bro and my sis.
    One day I had an interview for uni. I was really excited but my parents cancelled it due to family reasons..luckily for me the uni gave me another date.

the question is. Is it fair for me to be the only one to miss college and important events for the family? Why cannot my brother (22yrs in uni) miss sometimes and let me go to college? What do u think??
    Because he goes even doring the weekend. Also I never have the time to do my coursework (assignment) and I ended up doing it last minute at college...
    No, it's not fair. Have you told your family how you feel? And why do you have to miss college when your mum has a doctor's appointment?

It's possible that they don't realise how much of an impact they're having on your schoolwork. Try to make them understand that while you're happy to help out with your siblings, there are some things (e.g. university interviews) that are non-negotiable, and that you can't miss college whenever your siblings need anything. You aren't their mum, and this is your future - don't throw it away.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course your brother should take his turn. Has anyone ever asked him? Try to spend more time at college doing your work so the family learns to cope without so much of your help.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who is in a familiar situation as yours and she's just about to crack... She love's her family like nothing else, but cannot concentrate on her studies at all when she's responsible of taking care of her two youngest siblings who are FAS children. She has been secretly looking for work from the other side of the country, the situation is that bad :/ I hope you can sort your situation before it turns into what my friend is having! xx

You have all your rights to study and your brother really should take turns as well, they're his siblings as well. Your situation is harming your future.

Can your family afford any kind of a nanny?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its your right to study, no matter what family thinks. Education is important. Thank you!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 25, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.