The Student Room Group

Do i have to have english gcse at C to enter universty

Scroll to see replies

It's very untrue about University not accepting students for having poor GCSE grades unless you're applying to Cambridge or Oxford.
My first university choice is very competitive there is about 25 to 1 for places, the difference is I'm studying performing arts and despite the fact they want English and Maths when I contacted them they said we care more about your A level grades, your experience and your audition CD.
The only way they might decide to not let you is because of your GCSE is if that GCSE makes a big difference on your course, fortunately I got a grade B in English although I failed Maths with a grade D.
I honestly wouldn't worry about it, especially if you got high A level grades, I should get 3 Distinction stars for my Extended Music diploma course which is equivalent to A* A* A* at A Level and my first choice want Distinction,Distinction, Merit therefore AAB/ABB in A level terms.
(Before people comment saying BTECS are easier they really aren't, hence why they're equivalent.) I'm the only person on my course who is predicted to achieve this grade the majority of people on the course are unlikely to even get 18 Units by next term, therefore meaning they fail.

Thanks, I hope this was some what useful, you're best to email your University of choice.
Reply 21
Depends on which university you want to apply to. Usually a C in GCSE english and maths is required but a few universities may ask for a B at GCSE in english or maths
Reply 22
Original post by mattamz
Computer science, at first i thought English wouldn't be that important in a computing course but i realized uni's want it because essays need to be of a decent standard.

hi, i just wondering which university did you apply to with grade d or lower. thanks, i also failed gcse english :frown:
Reply 23
i currently have e in englsih with d as my highest grades. can anyone help me please, i need help fast becayuse uscas deadline is comming soon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending