The Student Room Group

WJEC Geography (AS & A2) help/discussion thread!

I thought this would be a good idea as I can't find too much info on the WJEC course on the internet.

I'm willing to share my case studies, revision info anything else as long as others are willing to do the same. I thought it would be a good idea for us all to have one place where we can discuss questions or problems we may have together and help each other.

Who else is in? :smile:

I'm currently doing G4 and awaiting my G3 result (so may possibly re-sit it).

Update: I ended up getting an A in A2 geog. I've practically forgotten everything but I'm willing to try and help.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I've just done G1 but I felt that I was running out of time so I don't think i've done very well. I may re-sit.
Do you have any revision tips?
Reply 2
Got my G1 result back, 94/100
G2 85/100

179/200 (A) :biggrin: .

Any questions just ask :smile: , dropped Geography now however so dont know much about G3/G4
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by WildBerry
G2 85/100

Any questions just ask :smile: , dropped Geography now however so dont know much about G3/G4

Well done! I had my G3 result yesterday (100/120) so if anyone needs help, I'll be more than willing to try.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Gales
Well done! I had my G3 result yesterday (100/100) so if anyone needs help, I'll be more than willing to try.

Nice one!! :biggrin:
Im doing AS atm and finding it quite easy. Is A2 much harder?
Reply 5
Original post by GiveMeAChallenge
Nice one!! :biggrin:
Im doing AS atm and finding it quite easy. Is A2 much harder?

G3 was easier I thought as you plan your G3B, so you'll have some part of the exam already done. You just need to learn your project.

G2 was the hardest, I found. :smile:

G4 looks relatively simple, so I'd have to say AS was harder for me.
Original post by Gales
G3 was easier I thought as you plan your G3B, so you'll have some part of the exam already done. You just need to learn your project.

G2 was the hardest, I found. :smile:

G4 looks relatively simple, so I'd have to say AS was harder for me.

This gives me hope haha. Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 7
hey, I have been given a past paper question which asks about how transport and communications have changed within cities and if this is sustainable. But I do not recall doing anything on communication, so what sort of subjects/case-studies should I use? I'd be happy to offer any help with the subject in return, currently I am an a/b grade student.
Reply 8
keep seeming to have problems with the G1 exam.. i've gotten a D in it twice.. i think my main problem is the time as I've managed to get a B in G2 an an A in G3 it's just G1 that seems to be a reoccuring problem -.-, does anyone have any advice as to how i can access the higher grades (A+B) for G1 ? :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by dontsitdown
hey, I have been given a past paper question which asks about how transport and communications have changed within cities and if this is sustainable. But I do not recall doing anything on communication, so what sort of subjects/case-studies should I use? I'd be happy to offer any help with the subject in return, currently I am an a/b grade student.

How bizarre, I have the same task to do! Mine's purely transport though.

-----

I've been given my G4 booklet, what exactly am I supposed to do with it? :colondollar:
Reply 10
Original post by L - Jilla94
keep seeming to have problems with the G1 exam.. i've gotten a D in it twice.. i think my main problem is the time as I've managed to get a B in G2 an an A in G3 it's just G1 that seems to be a reoccuring problem -.-, does anyone have any advice as to how i can access the higher grades (A+B) for G1 ? :smile:

Diagrams are easy marks, that's my only advice! I always back up my answers with diagrams :smile:
Original post by Gales
How bizarre, I have the same task to do! Mine's purely transport though.

-----

I've been given my G4 booklet, what exactly am I supposed to do with it? :colondollar:

I may just rely on transport and tell my teacher that I wasn't exactly sure what the question meant. I'll just mention cities like Curitiba, Singapore, London etc.

Regarding the resource booklet, I know that in my case atleast that we'll be finishing the course in the next week, and then we'll start going through the booklet with our teachers just analysing the booklet and thinking of possible answers for the various subjects.
Reply 12
Hey guys! Do any of you have access to exemplar G4 answers? My teacher's useless :frown:
Reply 13
Original post by WildBerry
G2 85/100

Hi, how did you revise geog is it just learn case studies? and where did you get your case studies from?
Original post by Gales
Well done! I had my G3 result yesterday (100/100) so if anyone needs help, I'll be more than willing to try.

Firstly well done, also how the hell did you get 100/100!! I would just like to know how you revised for it was it learn everything you was taught or as i've been told before the best way is to have like 5 essays and learn them for the exam?
Reply 15
Original post by commanda pants
Firstly well done, also how the hell did you get 100/100!! I would just like to know how you revised for it was it learn everything you was taught or as i've been told before the best way is to have like 5 essays and learn them for the exam?

Hey! Thanks, I was really surprised.

Firstly, I learnt everything I was taught. I didn't do many past papers at all (I think I did around two). I made lots of revision notes, so for example, I did a whole sheet on hurricanes (how they happen, where they happen, social, economic, political and demographic consequences etc.). I did this for every topic on G3, so savannahs (obviously you may be doing different topics), monsoons and so on and I read them over and over again. I did the same for case studies and got around two case studies for each one (an MEDC and LEDC so you can compare). Also, read over exemplar answers so you know how to structure the answers, that's what I did and it helped an awful lot. I'd also recommend going through every past paper and bullet point what you'd write for each answer (don't answer in full, too time consuming and once you know how to structure the answers it's easy enough).

Hope this helps and good luck!

PS. Don't forget diagrams, easy marks!
currently revising for my G3 and G1 resit.. it will be my 3rd attempt at G1 and i can't seem to get any higher than D :angry: i always seem to run out of time on this exam.. I sat G3 in Jan and got a C and got a B in G2, hoping to get at least a B overall though.. has anyone got any useful tips for g1 and g3?
Reply 17
currently revising for my G3 and G1 resit.. it will be my 3rd attempt at G1 and i can't seem to get any higher than D :angry: i always seem to run out of time on this exam.. I sat G3 in Jan and got a C and got a B in G2, hoping to get at least a B overall though.. has anyone got any useful tips for g1 and g3?

Read above post for G3. I'll post advice for G1 later on, I have to go to school to revise soon so I'll have to do it later. :smile:
Original post by Gales
Read above post for G3. I'll post advice for G1 later on, I have to go to school to revise soon so I'll have to do it later. :smile:

ahh cheers mate lifesaver :smile:
Reply 19
ahh cheers mate lifesaver :smile:

For G1, make sure you know diagrams for everything and case studies. When you write about something geographical that can be backed up with a diagram, add the diagram and in the text write figure 1 for example, then write figure 1 above the diagram. Make sure you answer the question itself, and pad it out with a relevant case study. Have a collection of case studies (which can also possibly be backed up with diagrams), but also use figures and statistics to show off your knowledge, e.g. during Hurricane Ivan 80% of Grenada's buildings were destroyed, this led to huge economic and social problems, which were...

Another tip is: outline the demographic, social, economic and political consequences of something. So if you're talking about a hurricane or a drought, make sure you have those different types of problems.You're required to use different factors for G4 though, environmental, economic and cultural (if I remember correctly).

I hope this helps a bit but I haven't done G1 for well over a year and I think the syllabus may have changed so I can't remember exactly what was meant to be studied. Good luck! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest