The Student Room Group

WJEC Geography (AS & A2) help/discussion thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Also guys, I found the books by the WJEC handy, if you don't have them.
I'm confused about grade boundaries :frown: i keep hearing that an A is 80% but then when i look on past paper mark schemes, it says like A=47/75....which isnt 80%
Would someone try and explain it to me please :smile:
Original post by Gales
For G1, make sure you know diagrams for everything and case studies. When you write about something geographical that can be backed up with a diagram, add the diagram and in the text write figure 1 for example, then write figure 1 above the diagram. Make sure you answer the question itself, and pad it out with a relevant case study. Have a collection of case studies (which can also possibly be backed up with diagrams), but also use figures and statistics to show off your knowledge, e.g. during Hurricane Ivan 80% of Grenada's buildings were destroyed, this led to huge economic and social problems, which were...

Another tip is: outline the demographic, social, economic and political consequences of something. So if you're talking about a hurricane or a drought, make sure you have those different types of problems.You're required to use different factors for G4 though, environmental, economic and cultural (if I remember correctly).

I hope this helps a bit but I haven't done G1 for well over a year and I think the syllabus may have changed so I can't remember exactly what was meant to be studied. Good luck! :smile:

thanks very much! i'll take all this into consideration hopefully i'll be able to imrpove my grades in the summer! how is everyone getting on with the g4 resource booklet? our teachers have been pretty useless and lessons non existent lately so we've kinda been left to our own devices..:confused:
Reply 23
Original post by L - Jilla94
thanks very much! i'll take all this into consideration hopefully i'll be able to imrpove my grades in the summer! how is everyone getting on with the g4 resource booklet? our teachers have been pretty useless and lessons non existent lately so we've kinda been left to our own devices..:confused:

We have been too, we were told to analyse it. I'm not exactly in what way it's meant to be analysed though. :s-smilie:
Original post by Gales
We have been too, we were told to analyse it. I'm not exactly in what way it's meant to be analysed though. :s-smilie:

I guess we are all having the same problem (damn teachers :angry:)
What topics are you all doing for G3? just curious i'm doing coasts and china
Reply 26
Original post by GiveMeAChallenge
I'm confused about grade boundaries :frown: i keep hearing that an A is 80% but then when i look on past paper mark schemes, it says like A=47/75....which isnt 80%
Would someone try and explain it to me please :smile:

Hey, seeing as no one responded. I don't really know, I know 80 UMS marks doesn't equate to an A (which is 80% UMS marks). Two of my friends had 86 and 84 respectively in the G3 exams and came out with Bs. Plus, in my G2 I had 73% but came out with a B. Sorry I can't help, I'm not too sure.
Hmmm :s-smilie:

Did you do the G1 or G2 paper in january, if so, do you know what topics came up? :smile:
Original post by Gales

i have no idea tbh, our teachers have dabbled into it with us but not into too much detail.. i've ordered the wjec study guide so hopefully that will shed some light on it :tongue: if not i say we share our thoughts on here regarding each figure and possible questions? just a suggestion :tongue:
Original post by commanda pants
What topics are you all doing for G3? just curious i'm doing coasts and china

i'm doing climatic hazards and globalisation.. anyone with any notes or tips for climatic hazards please help :tongue: i can't seem to grasp the idea of it all haha
Reply 30
i'm doing climatic hazards and globalisation.. anyone with any notes or tips for climatic hazards please help :tongue: i can't seem to grasp the idea of it all haha

I'm doing the same topics as you... What do you need help with?
Original post by day1100
I'm doing the same topics as you... What do you need help with?

tbh i just don't get the tri cellular model etc i got a C in jan on g3 and i need to get it up to a B at least :confused: probably just a case of doing some past essay questions.. also does anyone have access to the Jan 2012 g3 mark scheme/boundaries????
Reply 32
tbh i just don't get the tri cellular model etc i got a C in jan on g3 and i need to get it up to a B at least :confused: probably just a case of doing some past essay questions.. also does anyone have access to the Jan 2012 g3 mark scheme/boundaries????

The boundaries are on the WJEC website. Our geography department refuses to enter anyone for January exams (except resits), so I am hoping to get a B/C overall. What questions came up in January. I don't think the mark scheme gets released to the public until a year after the exam.
Reply 33
Original post by day1100
The boundaries are on the WJEC website. Our geography department refuses to enter anyone for January exams (except resits), so I am hoping to get a B/C overall. What questions came up in January. I don't think the mark scheme gets released to the public until a year after the exam.

Do they have exemplars on their website? :smile:
Reply 34
Reply 35
Hey guys, I'm doing G3 at the moment and did G4 in January so I shed some light on the resource folder! Basically, the resources in it normally cover two of the four themes in the specification (food/energy/water/cities) and you can use them to answer the three ten markers and one of the 25 markers. The last 25 marker is based on a theme not in the folder. So theoretically you could just learn the two themes that aren't in the folder for the last 25 marker and use the folder to answer the rest, but I wouldn't recommend this. You should like, use your own knowledge in conjunction with the resources-That's what I did anyway! :tongue:

As for analysing the folder, the best thing to do is make a grid with each of the figures from the resource folder in it. Then for each figure, write down what it shows and which key question it relates to. (you can see the key questions in the specification, which is on the WJEC website) Then write down your own case studies that can be used to support or compare with that particular figure. I'm looking through the one I did in January now, for example figure 8 is "Transport in Luanda, Seattle and Taipei." I'd written down that this related to key question 4.2, and that I also had Mexico City as an example to use too. Our teacher told us to learn it pretty well and to be comfortable with it, the timing is pretty tight for G4 and you don't want to be faffing about reading through the resource folder!

I realise I've rambled on a bit but I hope it's been of some help! If you've any more questions about G4 just ask :')
Reply 36
hey :smile: has anyone found with the g4 resource booklet that some of the links on the back don't work?! I've been told to research on the websites they came from :frown:
Reply 37
Original post by Biffmanz
Hey guys, I'm doing G3 at the moment and did G4 in January so I shed some light on the resource folder! Basically, the resources in it normally cover two of the four themes in the specification (food/energy/water/cities) and you can use them to answer the three ten markers and one of the 25 markers. The last 25 marker is based on a theme not in the folder. So theoretically you could just learn the two themes that aren't in the folder for the last 25 marker and use the folder to answer the rest, but I wouldn't recommend this. You should like, use your own knowledge in conjunction with the resources-That's what I did anyway! :tongue:

As for analysing the folder, the best thing to do is make a grid with each of the figures from the resource folder in it. Then for each figure, write down what it shows and which key question it relates to. (you can see the key questions in the specification, which is on the WJEC website) Then write down your own case studies that can be used to support or compare with that particular figure. I'm looking through the one I did in January now, for example figure 8 is "Transport in Luanda, Seattle and Taipei." I'd written down that this related to key question 4.2, and that I also had Mexico City as an example to use too. Our teacher told us to learn it pretty well and to be comfortable with it, the timing is pretty tight for G4 and you don't want to be faffing about reading through the resource folder!

I realise I've rambled on a bit but I hope it's been of some help! If you've any more questions about G4 just ask :')

Thank you! Helped a lot. +rep
Reply 38
Original post by Biffmanz

I think people on here want to do better than your D ...
Reply 39
Original post by zaidf
I think people on here want to do better than your D ...

How are you analysing yours then? :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest