The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

student houses instead of halls?

Hello,
I spent an hour or so looking through the accommodation thread and I could hardly find any conversation about the student houses. I know there are far few less places in these, but are they that unpopular?

I quite like the idea of them, especially st micheals hill. Can anyone who has lived in them tell me their experiences good and bad please?

I am leaning towards the student houses as opposed to the halls but wanted some reassurance that I am making the right decision. I definitely don't want catered as it's too expensive and I'd rather cook.

I might even look into the possibility of a shared room, any experiences with people sharing??

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by slizzie

I am leaning towards the student houses as opposed to the halls but wanted some reassurance that I am making the right decision. I definitely don't want catered as it's too expensive and I'd rather cook.

I might even look into the possibility of a shared room, any experiences with people sharing??

Thanks!

Why not just go for self-catered halls?

As for sharing - I did this when I was working abroad, and there were four of us in a room just large enough for a bunk bed and two singles. It's definitely a challenge in diplomacy and biting your tongue at times!

If I were you, I'd go for self-catered halls - that way, you get to meet lots more people, and therefore work out who you want to live with for subsequent years :wink:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Go for halls without a doubt. You'll have a far better experience of first year. I'm not saying you'll have a bad one if you lived in a student house, but you'll just have a much better experience living in halls. Also, go for a stoke bishop hall.
Reply 3
I want to be in clifton as I've heard if you're involved with music and drama things it can be difficult getting back to stoke bishop . Also I was in halls this year so I thought a change would be nice.. still I suppose I am doing first year again on a different course
Original post by slizzie
I want to be in clifton as I've heard if you're involved with music and drama things it can be difficult getting back to stoke bishop . Also I was in halls this year so I thought a change would be nice.. still I suppose I am doing first year again on a different course

Fair enough with regards to Clifton - whilst it's just a 30 minute walk, as a (local) woman, I wouldn't want to walk across the Downs at night alone. I'm not saying it's particularly dangerous - just that it does have a bit of a reputation, and I know more than enough people who have been flashed there in broad daylight (including myself, as a child!), plus part of it is a gay cruising area. Basically, it's very nice during the day but slightly dodgy at night.
Reply 5
I'm also considering applying for student houses because of the cheap aspect and I'm more likely to get my first choice. A lot of self catered halls are looking very popular this year, which means you could end up in a student house anyway.

I like the look of Northwell House because it is quite big. St Michael's Hill looks good as well but your experience seems to be even more dependent on who you live with, seeing as there's only nine of you.

Just letting you know that you're not alone in your thoughts! :smile:
Reply 6
Oh good ! Your choices are the same as me I love st michaels hi and northwell because of the size :smile: thanks for the heads up about the downs. I definitely like clifton.
Original post by Origami Bullets
Fair enough with regards to Clifton - whilst it's just a 30 minute walk, as a (local) woman, I wouldn't want to walk across the Downs at night alone. I'm not saying it's particularly dangerous - just that it does have a bit of a reputation, and I know more than enough people who have been flashed there in broad daylight (including myself, as a child!), plus part of it is a gay cruising area. Basically, it's very nice during the day but slightly dodgy at night.

As long as you stick to the pavement by the side of the road, it's pretty safe. If you decide to cut through the dark fields then you are taking a bit of a risk!
Reply 8
I have a friend living in St.Michaels Park and I really like it up there- however as it is so small you really do have to hope you get on with the others that live there.

However the location is excellent and the house is perfectly nice.

Personally I am in Colston Street which is half way between St.Michaels and an actually hall, its a nice middle point and I'd recommend it.
Reply 9
Colston street looks amazing but it is too expensive :l
Reply 10
Sorry to double post, but does anyone have anymore pictures of Hillside/Woodside, it looks really nice and with 30 people there's bound to be people that are lovely :smile:
Original post by slizzie
Colston street looks amazing but it is too expensive :l

Colston street does actually look quite nice... it's £3762 if you just want a room with a basin which isn't too bad. I would prefer to be in a single sex falt (though I won't be upset if I'm not) which is why I wouldn't choose Hillside/Woodside despite how pretty it is!
Reply 12
miss_sasa94
I would prefer to be in a single sex falt (though I won't be upset if I'm not) which is why I wouldn't choose Hillside/Woodside despite how pretty it is!

I don't mind either way, I just want something quite cheap but nice :smile:. I think I am leaning more towards smaller residences as my friends have been in large student houses instead of halls and are really enjoying it. Is Woodside mixed then I guess?

I like St Micheals Hill the best but there's only a handful in each house which worries me if I don't get along with them...
Original post by slizzie
I don't mind either way, I just want something quite cheap but nice :smile:. I think I am leaning more towards smaller residences as my friends have been in large student houses instead of halls and are really enjoying it. Is Woodside mixed then I guess?

I like St Micheals Hill the best but there's only a handful in each house which worries me if I don't get along with them...

Yep, Woodside's mixed.

If you want a large student house, then St Michael's Hill isn't ideal... but if your love for it overrides that then you should pick it!

The bigger ones are Hawthornes and Northwell, as far as I can tell. Also look and see if there are laundry facilities, bike storage (if that's important to you. It is for me). There was one place I really liked the look of but there wasn't any laundry facilities. I don't know where they do their washing, but I want the washing machine to be nearby!
Reply 14
I'm the same about the laundry!! I don't own a bike though, but perhaps if it made my life easier in Bristol I might buy one :smile: Northwell and Hawthorns are about 100 ish aren't they? I was thinking more along 30 ish lol.
Original post by slizzie
I'm the same about the laundry!! I don't own a bike though, but perhaps if it made my life easier in Bristol I might buy one :smile: Northwell and Hawthorns are about 100 ish aren't they? I was thinking more along 30 ish lol.

LOL. Ah. See I still want the "halls experience"... just cheaper :smile:
Reply 16
miss_sasa94
LOL. Ah. See I still want the "halls experience"... just cheaper

I was in halls last semester, though I wanted to change courses for next year. (This was at leeds by the way ..) so I thought maybe a change would be nicee, but I don't want anything tooo small.
Reply 17
Hillside/Woodside is a bit far away from any other halls, my friend was there last year and I don't think he particularly enjoyed it (it was also not the best group of people, but he still managed to find friends among them). I was also considering living in a student house in my first year, but then changed my mind and applied for Manor Hall, ended up at Manor House (30 girls) at the end anyway. I also shared room, as long as you have headphones and don't care about small stuff like messy room and so on, it is fine and I think it is worth the safed money.
If you want to be in a house, go for a house. You will meet people anyway.
Reply 18
seriously guys, dont bother with northwell house, although its in a cool area, hardly anyone goes out there and if you make friends on your course they will live miles away from you! it wont be good, take my word!
Original post by pixiebee
seriously guys, dont bother with northwell house, although its in a cool area, hardly anyone goes out there and if you make friends on your course they will live miles away from you! it wont be good, take my word!

Interesting...

I'm just not really feeling halls, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending