The Student Room Group

Need Help Choosing a firm (bath, birmingham, warwick, exeter)

I'm having real trouble deciding where I want to go I have offers from the following

Bath - Mech Eng: A*AA
Birmingham - Mech Eng: AAA
Exeter - General Engineering: AAB
Warwick - General Engineering: AAB (had an interview the other day and was reccomended but hasn't come through UCAS yet)

I don't really know what discipline I want to do so i applied for General courses and Mech Eng because that seemed to have the broadest scope but now I feel like I've applied to all the wrong places as no one here seems to think the general courses are actually any good. Like I want to do general engineering because it gives me the option to see what everything is like first but If I could go to a better university to do a specific discipline would that be preferable? I don't know.

I got AAAB In Further maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology AS and also have an A in A2 maths. My predicted grades are A*AAA, and I also sort of feel like I've under applied and I wish I had tried to apply to Imperial instead of Cambridge but then i don't actually know what discipline to apply for....

What does anyone think of these universities? I'm most interested in Warwick for general and Bath for Mechanical, but everyone seems to say warwick isn't that good for engineering(and it involves a lot of business but I don't know if that's a good thing, It sounds interesting to me but is it useful?) but also I don't see bath mentioned much for being good for mechanical so I feel a bit like I've applied to the wrong places.

Sorry for the giant block of text I'm just having last minute doubts, any help would be appreciated :colondollar:
Reply 1
Original post by Pachydermal
I'm having real trouble deciding where I want to go I have offers from the following

Bath - Mech Eng: A*AA
Birmingham - Mech Eng: AAA
Exeter - General Engineering: AAB
Warwick - General Engineering: AAB (had an interview the other day and was reccomended but hasn't come through UCAS yet)

I don't really know what discipline I want to do so i applied for General courses and Mech Eng because that seemed to have the broadest scope but now I feel like I've applied to all the wrong places as no one here seems to think the general courses are actually any good. Like I want to do general engineering because it gives me the option to see what everything is like first but If I could go to a better university to do a specific discipline would that be preferable? I don't know.

I got AAAB In Further maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology AS and also have an A in A2 maths. My predicted grades are A*AAA, and I also sort of feel like I've under applied and I wish I had tried to apply to Imperial instead of Cambridge but then i don't actually know what discipline to apply for....

What does anyone think of these universities? I'm most interested in Warwick for general and Bath for Mechanical, but everyone seems to say warwick isn't that good for engineering(and it involves a lot of business but I don't know if that's a good thing, It sounds interesting to me but is it useful?) but also I don't see bath mentioned much for being good for mechanical so I feel a bit like I've applied to the wrong places.

Sorry for the giant block of text I'm just having last minute doubts, any help would be appreciated :colondollar:

Trust me and go to Bath, its a brilliant University..... and have Warwick as Insurance.

PS. I wish i applied to Imperial instead of Cambridge too, and I think I underapplied.

Got AAAA at AS, and im predicted A*A*A*Aa at A2.

Applied to Cambridge, Durham, Bristol, Southampton and Lougborough.

....Thinking of firming Southampton over Bristol.

(Got rejected by Cambridge).
Bath firm Warwick insurance.
Reply 3
Definitely Bath as firm and either Warwick or Exeter as insurance - but visit them to make sure or at least read up on them all

Quick Reply

Latest