Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who next is going to win their first ever world cup

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
  • View Poll Results: Which of these nations will win the World Cup first?
    The Netherlands
    79.37%
    Croatia
    1.59%
    Denmark
    1.59%
    Chile
    0%
    Russia
    1.59%
    Greece
    0%
    Ivory Coast
    0%
    Switzerland
    0%
    Sweden
    1.59%
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    1.59%
    Ireland
    6.35%
    Mexico
    4.76%
    Australia
    0%
    Ghana
    1.59%
    Norway
    0%
    Serbia
    0%

• 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    As it says on the tin, which of these nations do you think will win the World Cup first? Here are the top 16 nations on the current FIFA rankings that have never won the greatest prize on Earth. I exclude Germany, since I take it that West Germany's wins are considered to be theirs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Netherlands, then maybe Portugal. I'm surprised they're not in the top 16.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    You missed out Portugal.

I think it'll be Holland though. Constant flow of young players and a great will to win. Either Holland or Portugal could challenge in Brazil.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahaneap)
    The Netherlands, then maybe Portugal. I'm surprised they're not in the top 16.

(Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    You missed out Portugal.

I think it'll be Holland though. Constant flow of young players and a great will to win. Either Holland or Portugal could challenge in Brazil.
    Ah crappers, how on Earth did I miss Portugal? Is there anyway to edit polls?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Holland seems like the obvious choice from those. I think an African team could challenge at one of the next few world cups, though. They play very good football in my opinion, they just need to learn a little more discipline. I also think Serbia could become a very strong side.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Belgium
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    With the large amounts of money and subsequent increase in talent of the Russian League in recent years, I think that Russia could have a squad good enough to challenge for the World Cup by the time they host it in 2018.

Home soil is always an advantage.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	petersbeatstoney.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	133472
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not a difficult question for me.
    The Netherlands will be the team
    which win the world cup next.
    They have already reached the final three times and,
    in my opinion, they were unlucky in two of three finals.
    They have deserved to win a world cup.

If the world of football won't upside down,
    the Netherlands will be the next new world champion
    in my opinion.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    It's not a difficult question for me.
    The Netherlands will be the team
    which win the world cup next anytime.
    It has already reached 3times the final,
    but in my opinion, it was in two of three finals the unhappy team.
    This national team had it deserved to
    be the winner of a world championship.

If the world of football won't upside down,
    the Netherlands will be the next new world champion
    in my mind.
    Are you trying to construct Haikus?

Anyway, Belgium are probably more likely than a good five or so teams on the poll. The Dutch have lacked team spirit too much in the past but probably remain most likely.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Netherlands are the most likely. Belgium have some good young players and we'll see how they get on.

In any case, Spain and Germany seem to have the best crop of youngsters. Some of the German kids are excellent. I can see them winning the next couple of them. Obviously things change quickly though.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    The Netherlands are the most likely. Belgium have some good young players and we'll see how they get on.

In any case, Spain and Germany seem to have the best crop of youngsters. Some of the German kids are excellent. I can see them winning the next couple of them. Obviously things change quickly though.
    I can't see past Holland or Russia tbh. Saying that it won't happen before than the usual major powers of the football world grab another trophy ie Germany or Argentina. I think Belgium and the Swiss will find themselves in the latter stages of major tournament soon with the young players that are coming through.

The so-called weaker nations are no longer weak so anything is possible.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Are you trying to construct Haikus?

Anyway, Belgium are probably more likely than a good five or so teams on the poll. The Dutch have lacked team spirit too much in the past but probably remain most likely.
    OFF-TOPIC:
    Did you mean japanese poems?
    No, I'm not.
    I write always in paragraphs to construct an overview.

ON-TOPIC:
    I had the impression in the world championship 2010 that the dutchmen were an
    solid team which never lacked the team spirit. Of course it has played for results and it was boring partly, but the dutchmen played as team.
    Why did you believe, the Netherlands lacked the team spirit?

Furthermore I think, Portugal could be also the next world champion anytime,
    if the football players would be as play as team.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be surprised to see USA win a world cup in the next couple of decades. It's growing quite fast as a sport over there.

"Shoot, pass, kick their ass!!"
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most likely the Netherlands IMO, then possibly Portugal or Belgium.

However, I think Brazil will win in 2014. Home advantage and a great young side.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    OFF-TOPIC:
    No, I'm not.
    Those aren't paragraphs, they are single lines. A paragraph is a block of text (sometimes a single sentence, but usually a collection of sentences) about one particular idea or point. Paragraphs are also spaced out (as you can see in this very post).

You were discussing the Netherlands and making your point but used a new line every few words despite not making a new point. Sometimes you created a new line mid-sentence e.g.

"The Netherlands will be the team
    which win the world cup next anytime"

You did the same in your second post (making a new line mid-sentence) twice, once just to write one sentence.

"I had the impression in the world championship 2010 that the dutchmen were an
    solid team which never lacked the team spirit."

That's once sentence, but spread over three lines.

I don't see how this helps you to "provide an overview". It just makes it more difficult to read and can confuse the reader.

I appreciate that you're perhaps not a native speaker of English and don't mean to be critical. It's just the way you type is difficult to read. It really does look like you're trying to write Haikus, or some poem.

ON-TOPIC:
    I had the impression in the world championship 2010 that the dutchmen were an
    solid team which never lacked the team spirit. Of course it has played for results and it was boring partly, but the dutchmen played as team.
    Why did you believe, the Netherlands lacked the team spirit?

Furthermore I think, Portugal could be also the next world champion anytime,
    if the football players would be as play as team.
    In the last World Cup, perhaps. But historically, particularly during the 1980s and 1990s, where the Dutch achieved limited success following their two World Cup finals in the 1970s*, they were soemtimes accused of having a poor team spirit, or at least having one or two players who'd unsettle things. Too many egos/personality clashes. Guilit not getting along with the then-manager, Advocaat, and going on strike in the mid-1990s. I don't think Kluivert and van Nistelrooy ever got along. I'm sure van Basten had a rift with someone too.

*The 1988 Euors notwithstanding, of course.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    OFF-TOPIC:
    No, I'm not.
    No you don't. You write always in single lines per sentence to construct something that's hard for people to read.

Oh and I'll be different and say Qatar. They can buy nationalities, and maybe some of their stadiums' air conditioning or cloud-making machines will 'break' every time they play.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nonotrly)
    (...) Oh and I'll be different and say Qatar. (...)
    Perhaps, Russia will be the new World Champion as host? It seems the Netherlands are the top favorite from most.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Besides the obvious (Holland), I'd go for Mexico. They have a half-decent squad.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)
    Besides the obvious (Holland), I'd go for Mexico. They have a half-decent squad.
    I think Portugal are up there with Holland too.

I agree with Mexico! Chicharito eh? <3

Edit; I don't think Netherlands will actually. In the last world cup, Sneijder carried them. In a few years, he wont. I'm not aware of any amazing young potential, therefore it's Portugal/Mexico for me.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 25, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.