Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Why is it ok for non-whites to be racist to whites, but not the other way round?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i have noticed this shocking double standard in society. of course anyone can be racist but in society, it seems perfectly alright for non-whites to be racist to whites but never the other way round. i dont have any case studies/newspaper reports i am able to post, but i do remember a recent story where a middle eastern (maybe muslim) gang beat up a white boy and got off without any criminal charges (if anyone could link that article it would be greatly appreciated). how is this fair?

mod edit: If you have nothing constructive to add here, then please don't post.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not ok, and it is awful it happens to anyone, but that's the world we live in
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh shut up, please just shut up.

It isn't OK to be racist, period, and to infer otherwise is ridiculous. I've never seen a 'non-white' being actively racist and not faced repercussions from anybody (including 'whites'!).

What you have to realise is that particular attack on that white boy wasn't race-driven. It wasn't a racial attack, but I assume you read the Daily Mail whom love to infer it was.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    It isn't ok at all but sometimes it is seen to be gotten away with, even if itactually isn't. And it doesn't really happen much, and if it does it isn't at all accepeted.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who says anything of the sort is ok? it isnt. The same rules should apply to everyone.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Id and Ego seek)
    Oh shut up, please just shut up.

It isn't OK to be racist, period, and to infer otherwise is ridiculous. I've never seen a 'non-white' being actively racist and not faced repercussions from anybody (including 'whites'!).

What you have to realise is that particular attack on that white boy wasn't race-driven. It wasn't a racial attack, but I assume you read the Daily Mail whom love to infer it was.
    I don't usually agree with you...
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    It isn't ok... who said it is?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can I report OP for trolling?

Keep the negs coming haters
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No I understand where you're coming from, in my school me and my group were often classed as 'white-girls' and were often judged by our skin colour, but we just had to brush it off, although I feel that if the name calling was reciprocated, a much bigger deal would be made of it..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wait what?! :confused: Someone said its ok to be racist to whites? Who???
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://dumbthingswhitepplsay.tumblr.com/

http://raceandhistory.com/selfnews/v...3,80611,.shtml
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think that it's assumed that, because white people haven't been persecuted and oppressed as that other races have, some people assume that it's not taboo or offensive. Also, racial slurs against white people, such as 'whitey', don't quite have the extensive history of connections with racial hatred that other racist terms do.

Sorry, that sounds like I'm trying to defend racism against white people, which I'm not! I'm just attempting to offer some kind of explanation. I agree with the above posts - there's never any real excuse for racism or ignorance on anyone's part.

Out of interest, what were your opinions on Diane Abbott being called out for the comment she made on twitter?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by primarycolours)
    I think that it's assumed that, because white people haven't been persecuted and oppressed as that other races have, some people assume that it's not taboo or offensive.
    Erm we have. Just not in recent history, namely because we had powerful empires.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you actually spent 30 seconds on the first site you posted, you'd have found this, which is possibly the best explanation of why this thread is ridiculous.

"Whites cannot be racially oppressed on any scale. Oppression by itself involves institutions, and it does not. That’s called discrimination or bullying. Which suck, but are NOT racism, and should NEVER be compared to racism."

The fact is that in this country, white people have a lot of privilege. That's just how it is. It's completely true that there are racially motivated attacks against white people, but they aren't directly racist because racism requires the power to oppress, which the minorities in this country don't hold.

The Daily Mail just want to turn everything into an argument about race and minorities, whereas the truth in this situation is that the guy wasn't attacked because he was white, he was just attacked. (Which doesn't make it any less important.)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    Erm we have. Just not in recent history, namely because we had powerful empires.
    Can you actually cite an example in which white people have been persecuted by another race to the extent that white people have persecuted other races?

I'm not being mean or sarcastic - I'd genuinely be interested to hear an example.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dianne Abbott.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm willing to let it slide based on the generations of their ancestors, my ancestors kept as slaves.

Plus their right, i just can't dance like they can
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damask-)
    If you actually spent 30 seconds on the first site you posted, you'd have found this, which is possibly the best explanation of why this thread is ridiculous.

"Whites cannot be racially oppressed on any scale. Oppression by itself involves institutions, and it does not. That’s called discrimination or bullying. Which suck, but are NOT racism, and should NEVER be compared to racism."

The fact is that in this country, white people have a lot of privilege. That's just how it is. It's completely true that there are racially motivated attacks against white people, but they aren't directly racist because racism requires the power to oppress, which the minorities in this country don't hold.

The Daily Mail just want to turn everything into an argument about race and minorities, whereas the truth in this situation is that the guy wasn't attacked because he was white, he was just attacked. (Which doesn't make it any less important.)
    That's the reason I posted those links. White people have not been systematically degraded, oppressed and dehumanised in history the way other races have. Maybe I should have put that along with the links... :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by primarycolours)
    Can you actually cite an example in which white people have been persecuted by another race to the extent that white people have persecuted other races?

I'm not being mean or sarcastic - I'd genuinely be interested to hear an example.
    Muslim invasion of Spain !!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For THE Same Reason blacks dan USe the n word all THE time when whites cant

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 25, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.