Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you increase your UKCAT by 100 points?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for your comments, I will be going on the Kaplan course this year. My only concern is that last year I prepared, prepared and prepared. I had access too emedica, upo, medify, 600q book, plus a few others, did thousands of questions only to get 600. I was pretty down on myself when I looked down at my paper. Im worried that there physically isnt anymore I can do but will try one more time anyway..
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QofQuimica)
    Thanks everyone for your comments, I will be going on the Kaplan course this year. My only concern is that last year I prepared, prepared and prepared. I had access too emedica, upo, medify, 600q book, plus a few others, did thousands of questions only to get 600. I was pretty down on myself when I looked down at my paper. Im worried that there physically isnt anymore I can do but will try one more time anyway..
    You are not alone love , i did the same thing as well, i did upo and i had a few kaplan practice questions from a friend who took the course last year and did the 600 ukcat book and only got 585.5 . It was pretty devastating and shocking, so didnt get an offer this year but I am attending the kaplan course cuz loads of people have been raving about it , in my opinion the VR and DA on upo is way easier than the exam but i think the maths is pretty good 4 it and the AR on upo might be a bit harder than the exam i think ... . will you be a graduate and what are you doing for your gap year ??
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QofQuimica)
    Hey

The UKCAT isn't like a school exam - it's not where you can revise for 1000s of hours and be more likely to get a higher mark than had you done nothing.
    They do call it an "aptitude" test - though I personally think it's more of a "quick-thinking" test. Don't beat yourself up about not doing as well as you thought you would given your preparation, as you're in the same boat as loads of other people. It's been designed to filter applicants - that's all - so don't think you're not good enough or you're doing your revision for it horribly wrong 'cause I'm sure that's not the case!
    Try your best and whatever happens happens.
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilmissA)
    what was your score when you took it?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    hello which one did she try and what was her old ukcat score and what is her new one and did she get in2 med school ?? lol sorry 4 bombarding u with questions
    Kaplan. 575 up to 703. She didnt get in as was a retake applicant
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doctor-to-be)
    Kaplan. 575 up to 703. She didnt get in as was a retake applicant
    areu serious ?? even as a retake applicant and with that great score she was still rejected ? where did she apply 2 ? your scaring me cuz ime gonna be a reapplicant as well
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    that is good compared to mine , i did horribly ... idk maybe it was my technique ??
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    areu serious ?? even as a retake applicant and with that great score she was still rejected ? where did she apply 2 ? your scaring me cuz ime gonna be a reapplicant as well
    I'm a reapplicant and got in this year to Leicester (who love re-apps btw). My friend got a B in Chem at A-level so had to retake, it is VERY hard, nearly impossible to get in as a re-applicant if you havent already achieved the correct A-levels. As long as you nail your Alevels reapplying will be easier good luck !!!!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doctor-to-be)
    I'm a reapplicant and got in this year to Leicester (who love re-apps btw). My friend got a B in Chem at A-level so had to retake, it is VERY hard, nearly impossible to get in as a re-applicant if you havent already achieved the correct A-levels. As long as you nail your Alevels reapplying will be easier good luck !!!!
    i did international A levels (cambridge international examinations alias CIE) which are MUCH HARDER than uk A levels and had cdd but not all medical schools look at A levels for graduates so i wont be applying to leicester which looks at A levels for graduates so retaking A levels is fruitless as ime predicted a 1st class in chemistry. You must be a school leaver ??
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I will definitely try my best, too be honest now that I have had time to reflect upon it I dont think I did enough timed practice. I was nowhere near at the time frame for the symbols when I went in for the test. I got 650 for the symbols section and I ran out of time! So, if I had answered them all I probably would have got a lot better score.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... Looks like this book just came out this year.
    No idea if it's any good. First time I've seen it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1...9494941_snp_dp

UKCAT for dummies :L
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I just took my UKCAT today, can you tell me what can I do with my 595 scores. :[ I'm applying for dentistry but...
    My first intentions were for: King's college, Queen Mary, Bristol, Birmingham and maybe Sheffield or Manchester. Although with a low score like this one, I don't think I have a chance.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What book and website did you use?

(Original post by Steerforth)
    I am a medicine reap, and got 642.5 the first time around, and 700 this time. I now have an offer. All I did differently was revise for longer and harder using a book and a website. I chose not to go on a course (many people encouraged me to) simply because I disagree with the idea of paying to get into medicine, and I felt that I would be gaining an advantage over people who may not be able to afford it.

I understand that many people do go on courses, but the feedback they give is heavily biased because they paid for it. People want to feel they got value for money and so will distort their view of how much the course helped.

But at the end of the day, if it helps you get in, you may think it is worth it!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    what book and website did you use?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 14, 2013
New on TSR

What is sixth form like?

Share your story!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.