The Student Room Group

Can you increase your UKCAT by 100 points?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thanks everyone for your comments, I will be going on the Kaplan course this year. My only concern is that last year I prepared, prepared and prepared. I had access too emedica, upo, medify, 600q book, plus a few others, did thousands of questions only to get 600. I was pretty down on myself when I looked down at my paper. Im worried that there physically isnt anymore I can do but will try one more time anyway..
Reply 21
Original post by QofQuimica
Thanks everyone for your comments, I will be going on the Kaplan course this year. My only concern is that last year I prepared, prepared and prepared. I had access too emedica, upo, medify, 600q book, plus a few others, did thousands of questions only to get 600. I was pretty down on myself when I looked down at my paper. Im worried that there physically isnt anymore I can do but will try one more time anyway..

You are not alone love , i did the same thing as well, i did upo and i had a few kaplan practice questions from a friend who took the course last year and did the 600 ukcat book and only got 585.5 . It was pretty devastating and shocking, so didnt get an offer this year but I am attending the kaplan course cuz loads of people have been raving about it , in my opinion the VR and DA on upo is way easier than the exam but i think the maths is pretty good 4 it and the AR on upo might be a bit harder than the exam i think ... :s-smilie: . will you be a graduate and what are you doing for your gap year ??
Original post by QofQuimica

Hey

The UKCAT isn't like a school exam - it's not where you can revise for 1000s of hours and be more likely to get a higher mark than had you done nothing.
They do call it an "aptitude" test - though I personally think it's more of a "quick-thinking" test. Don't beat yourself up about not doing as well as you thought you would given your preparation, as you're in the same boat as loads of other people. It's been designed to filter applicants - that's all - so don't think you're not good enough or you're doing your revision for it horribly wrong 'cause I'm sure that's not the case! :smile:
Try your best and whatever happens happens.
Original post by lilmissA
what was your score when you took it?

hello which one did she try and what was her old ukcat score and what is her new one and did she get in2 med school ?? lol sorry 4 bombarding u with questions :colondollar:

Kaplan. 575 up to 703. She didnt get in as was a retake applicant :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Doctor-to-be
Kaplan. 575 up to 703. She didnt get in as was a retake applicant :smile:

areu serious ?? even as a retake applicant and with that great score she was still rejected ? where did she apply 2 ? your scaring me cuz ime gonna be a reapplicant as well :frown:
Reply 26
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope

that is good compared to mine , i did horribly :frown: ... idk maybe it was my technique ??
areu serious ?? even as a retake applicant and with that great score she was still rejected ? where did she apply 2 ? your scaring me cuz ime gonna be a reapplicant as well :frown:

I'm a reapplicant and got in this year to Leicester (who love re-apps btw). My friend got a B in Chem at A-level so had to retake, it is VERY hard, nearly impossible to get in as a re-applicant if you havent already achieved the correct A-levels. As long as you nail your Alevels reapplying will be easier :smile: good luck !!!! :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Doctor-to-be
I'm a reapplicant and got in this year to Leicester (who love re-apps btw). My friend got a B in Chem at A-level so had to retake, it is VERY hard, nearly impossible to get in as a re-applicant if you havent already achieved the correct A-levels. As long as you nail your Alevels reapplying will be easier :smile: good luck !!!! :smile:

i did international A levels (cambridge international examinations alias CIE) which are MUCH HARDER than uk A levels and had cdd but not all medical schools look at A levels for graduates so i wont be applying to leicester which looks at A levels for graduates so retaking A levels is fruitless as ime predicted a 1st class in chemistry. You must be a school leaver ??
Reply 29
I will definitely try my best, too be honest now that I have had time to reflect upon it I dont think I did enough timed practice. I was nowhere near at the time frame for the symbols when I went in for the test. I got 650 for the symbols section and I ran out of time! So, if I had answered them all I probably would have got a lot better score.
Reply 30
Hmm... Looks like this book just came out this year.
No idea if it's any good. First time I've seen it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1119965845/ref=pe_98741_29494941_snp_dp

UKCAT for dummies :L
Reply 31
Hey everyone, I just took my UKCAT today, can you tell me what can I do with my 595 scores. :[ I'm applying for dentistry but...
My first intentions were for: King's college, Queen Mary, Bristol, Birmingham and maybe Sheffield or Manchester. Although with a low score like this one, I don't think I have a chance.
What book and website did you use?

Original post by Steerforth
I am a medicine reap, and got 642.5 the first time around, and 700 this time. I now have an offer. All I did differently was revise for longer and harder using a book and a website. I chose not to go on a course (many people encouraged me to) simply because I disagree with the idea of paying to get into medicine, and I felt that I would be gaining an advantage over people who may not be able to afford it.

I understand that many people do go on courses, but the feedback they give is heavily biased because they paid for it. People want to feel they got value for money and so will distort their view of how much the course helped.

But at the end of the day, if it helps you get in, you may think it is worth it!
what book and website did you use?
Original post by adsyrah
I did well in UKCAT (767.5) and have only sat it once so can only talk about how I approached it this year.

As well as doing as many practice tests as possible I used the downloadable example tests on the UKCAT website to become completely comfortable using the keyboard shortcuts to answer, flag and go between questions as well as using the keyboard numpad for the calculator. I found this shaved off precious seconds that I was wasting compared to using a mouse.

For sections like QR and AR I gave myself a few seconds to attempt a question. If I couldn't do it, I'd flag it and move on and come back to flagged questions after having gone through the whole section.

VR I didn't do as well in, but this section there's not much you can do in terms of tactical approach other than practice reading quickly.

DA, like VR, is more to do with practice.

Other than that, go into the exam accepting that you won't be able to answer all questions with much forthought within the time given. That'll allow you to relax and not panic. Panicking will just fluster you and mean mistakes are made. Also trust your instincts - if you think an answer is correct don't procrastinate, just mark it and move on.

just a quick point. if you dont know the answer make a GUESS or Randomly choose and answer THEN FLAG before moving on. it just saves time and gives you a 25% chance of getting it right
Yeah, first time I took it I got 2710, but only flicking through the ISC book for AR tips. I dd ~3 weeks of prep this time around and got 2920. 1.5 weeks of casually doing questions on medify then another 1.5 weeks of short 5-10 minute timed quizzes or full sub-sections, building up time. With some flustered PMs to high scorers here for last minute advice, which calmed me down.
Hey! you certainly can, I failed to get into medical school twice before scoring one of the highest UKCAT scores on my third attempt. I went from 600 to about 710 in each section. I would say it really comes down to working smartly and spending a majority of your practice time on weak points. I also think breaking down each section into question types and focusing on improving those elements not just the general subtest made a huge difference for me. I also recommend using an online course to hone and improve your skill. check out my blog I reviewed best courses, you basically want to focus on weak areas then structure your revision accordingly.i provide tactics and more advice on the blog. best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending