The Student Room Group

Most famous british university after Oxbridge?

Based on your own experiences, which university is most famous after oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends on the area. In Asia probably Imperial and Nottingham. In America probably St. Andrews. In Europe, maybe UCL.
Reply 2
Original post by Nanopker

St Andrews
Reply 3
LSE
Original post by Nanopker

You should make a poll, OP
Reply 5
At my US uni, no one had heard of UCL. Neither back home in Europe. I think that, sadly, it also has to do with the name. University College London is just not a memorable name with three such generic words.
At the same time, everyone I talked to in the US seemed to know King's College London. Some of you might not believe me but this was my personal experience. I talked to over 40 students in the US and King's College London rang a bell for all of them. Of course, St. Andrews did as well (but I think that while St Andrews is known by almost everyone in the US, it is not so well known in other parts of the world).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
UCL
Reply 7
People seem to have heard of Edinburgh a lot, too. Oh and UCL and Imperial of course.
Bristol
One of the following; St Andrew's, Durham, Kings College London, or UCL
Queen mary, university of london.

Keele.

Southampton.
I hear imperial is very well known internationally. Also heard that kings is known more than UCL.
Original post by eaglestone
Queen mary, university of london.

Keele.

Southampton.

You on crack? I'd never heard of Keele or queen Mary until I was in year 12.
The ancient university city of Glyndŵr
Places such as Imperial and LSE are known well amongst employers internationally, but to your average person I don't think they're very well known. When I tell people I'll be firming imperial they have no idea. I'd say one of the big universities such as Manchester or Nottingham
For mathematics, arguably Warwick is the third most famous but then for engineering you could argue that Imperial is the third most famous. For agriculture, the title would go to Reading.

EDIT: Dear neggers, I am just stating arguments and not facts. Based on university rankings published by newspapers, this is what can be concluded.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
I am an EU student studying in the UK. It probably only shows my ignorance but I have never really heard of the universities in/of Bristol, Keele, Southampton. On TSR yes I have, in real life, not really. This has nothing to do with how good they are...

This also does not directly imply that they are not well known but I would think it is of some indication...I bet that none of my friends back home know these unis, thus I would question if they were coming after Oxbridge in terms of how well known they are...
Reply 17
Thanks everyone for the responses, I'm looking for
the universities best known in the following areas:
Hong Kong
Japan
South Korea
Australia
Canada
United States
Singapore
Taiwan

Obviously I know it would be very difficult to tell, but just five me a general idea which uni after Oxbridge are best known in these places
Original post by hassi94
You on crack? I'd never heard of Keele or queen Mary until I was in year 12.

That is not our problem. It's yours. Don't ask us to fix it. Fix it.
Original post by SoulfulBoy
That is not our problem. It's yours. Don't ask us to fix it. Fix it.

Yeah but it's not just me. I'm just an example. They are not famous universities, you're deluding yourself if you think otherwise

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending