The Student Room Group

The DFID one year graduate scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Phikli
I've got through to the AC. :smile: Commiserations to those who haven't.

Someone asked how many places were open - when they came to my uni they said there were currently only 25 places. So competition will still be tough. Anyone have any idea of the rough ratio of applicants:tongue:laces the Civil Service tend to have at assessment days?

When they came to my Uni they said they would be inviting 120 to AC and taking on 30 (although that was in February so it sounds like they've reduced the places since then)
Original post by Phikli
I've got through to the AC. :smile: Commiserations to those who haven't.

Someone asked how many places were open - when they came to my uni they said there were currently only 25 places. So competition will still be tough. Anyone have any idea of the rough ratio of applicants:tongue:laces the Civil Service tend to have at assessment days?

Hiya,

I was just wondering when you found out exactly ( what day) that you were successful for AC? I sent my app on the 4th of March and STILL nothing :frown: My friend got a rejection on the 19th of April....wish they'd just tell us so we could move on!

Also to everyone - what are the chances of someone applying from a Scottish university being successful for a post in the london office? Slim to none?
Reply 142
Original post by gossipgirl14
Hiya,

I was just wondering when you found out exactly ( what day) that you were successful for AC? I sent my app on the 4th of March and STILL nothing :frown: My friend got a rejection on the 19th of April....wish they'd just tell us so we could move on!

Also to everyone - what are the chances of someone applying from a Scottish university being successful for a post in the london office? Slim to none?

Hi there. I sent my application in on the 16th March and I got the email telling me I was through to the next round on 19th April.

I don't imagine they'd discount you from getting placed in London but I have a suspicion that there might be less competition for the Glasgow places (that is if there are set numbers allocated for each location). They might be interested to know why you wanted to relocate.

Travel Addict - sorry, I didn't notice your post last time. As you asked... I'm currently doing an MSc in Violence, Conflict and Development and graduated with a 1st in International Relations last year. I haven't got much relevant work experience, but I suppose they are after early career people. I've had a placement with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, I went to Central America with Raleigh on my gap year, I spent 4 weeks in India with 'UKIERI Study India' and I currently volunteer for an organisation which supports asylum seekers in detention centres. I'm well-travelled but I haven't ever done any substantive work abroad.
Reply 143
Still haven't heard. Sigh.
Anyone else still waiting?
Reply 144
Hey! Anyone else still not heard? I'm kind of worried I have still not heard as everyone else has from my university. Cheers
Reply 145
Hmmmm. I've not heard but don't think emailing is a good idea. Perhaps I will tomorrow or Wed if I'm still waiting.
Hi,

I found out I got through to the AC on the 19th April. However, I know that they are not telling people in the order in which they applied because I only sent my application minutes before the midnight deadline, they must just be sending replies out in two different batches, I doubt that the wait is indicative of whether you have been successful or not.

does anyone think they will be doing psychometric testing at the AC? I never applied for the fast stream so I am in no way prepared for this.
Is anyone else still waiting to hear?
Reply 148
aghhh they said they would tell us more info about the date of out AC ect after the 25th but I still haven;t heard anything. dying for more info!
Original post by peasoup
aghhh they said they would tell us more info about the date of out AC ect after the 25th but I still haven;t heard anything. dying for more info!

me neither :frown:
Reply 150
I don't want to say too much about it, they're obviously waiting to tell people for a reason, but I got the invite to mine on Tuesday, replied straight away and got the email with further details on Thursday. It's at the end of next week, so they'll maybe wait to send info to those with later AC dates?

As for the tasks, they sound intimidating for someone like me who's never done an AC before but they're pretty standard. It's not a long day either.
Reply 151
Good luck with your AC! This makes me very nervous as i still haven't heard anything
Reply 152
I only just got a date today so I wouldn't worry too much.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 153
oh wow. ok cool. aghhhh. when is yours going to be held?
Reply 154
15th May in London.
As soonas I was told I got through to an assessment centre I emailed her and said I was worried about it clashing with exams. So she said dont worry. it'll be in June. I imagine they're not giving us muchadvance warning before the day itself
Congrats to everyone who made the AC! How many people were present at the ones that have taken place? Were they alright? Best of luck to those who haven't had theirs yet!
Original post by Phikli
Hi there. I sent my application in on the 16th March and I got the email telling me I was through to the next round on 19th April.

I don't imagine they'd discount you from getting placed in London but I have a suspicion that there might be less competition for the Glasgow places (that is if there are set numbers allocated for each location). They might be interested to know why you wanted to relocate.

Travel Addict - sorry, I didn't notice your post last time. As you asked... I'm currently doing an MSc in Violence, Conflict and Development and graduated with a 1st in International Relations last year. I haven't got much relevant work experience, but I suppose they are after early career people. I've had a placement with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, I went to Central America with Raleigh on my gap year, I spent 4 weeks in India with 'UKIERI Study India' and I currently volunteer for an organisation which supports asylum seekers in detention centres. I'm well-travelled but I haven't ever done any substantive work abroad.

i love how you say you dont have any relevant work experience. What do you think everyone else has got if you dont have any?
Anyone heard any further than the AC?
Reply 159
Not yet...At ours they said the last AC was the 19th, and that things would be tallied and responses given a couple of weeks after that.

Quick Reply

Latest