Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

what are a couple of differences of direct and representative (indirect) democracy?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey i am new to this and need some help with my coursework as it is 3000 words!

What are the min differences in practice and theory of direct and indirect democracy? I can figure out a few but it's not enough and I need to write more on it.

If you could help me that would be really helpful! Thanks a lot
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The central difference is that in a direct democracy, the people make decisions themselves, whereas in a representative democracy, representatives make decisions for the people.

Direct democracy is seen as a purer form of democracy. Democracy concerns enforcing the will of the people. When the people make decisions themselves, there will is automatically enforced. Representative democracy is a less purer form. Representatives must weigh the will of the people against practical considerations, party policies, political ideology and electoral interests. As a result, the will of the people will always be moulded around these considerations, and the ultimate decision will rarely, if ever, mirror the exact will of the people. At least in comparison to direct democracy.

In modern, 21st century democracies, direct democracy is often used in exceptional circumstances to decide matter of political controversy, where the issues involved are relatively simple. In comparison, representative democracy is often the rule, rather than the exception, used to solve matter of political complexity, where the issues involved are diverse. The nature of the problems each form of democracy is used to resolve are often very different.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 24, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.