The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Things to do in Bath

Hey guys, hoping for some decent suggestions. I've planned a romantic getaway to Bath for a few days this Easter. We're staying centrally at the Hilton and won't have a car with us, so what are your must-see and must-do activities?

So far I've got in mind Bath Abbey, the Roman Spa, the actual proper spa you can use, Prior Park landscape garden, the botanical gardens at Royal Victoria Park, and of course the Royal Crescent and Pulteney Bridge.

Also, best places to eat?? (budget isn't an issue)
Oh and are there any nice bars?? (not pubs please, but trendy upmarket ones)
and what supermarkets are there in the city centre in case we want to stock up on food for breakfast or whatever?

Much appreciated :smile:
As to the supermarkets things when I was last there I saw a Waitrose and a Sainsburies in the city centre so you won't have trouble stocking up on breakfast foods.

I've never been in Bath with enough money to spend on trendy bars or nice restaurants but just wandering around the place you can see them everywhere you go.

Why not ask your hotel to recommend you some places when you get there?

You could go and have a look at bath Abbey (which is smack in the centre of town) while you're there and just spend some time in the main shopping area, there are often street performers out and about.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by Historophilia
As to the supermarkets things when I was last there I saw a Waitrose and a Sainsburies in the city centre so you won't have trouble stocking up on breakfast foods.

I've never been in Bath with enough money to spend on trendy bars or nice restaurants but just wandering around the place you can see them everywhere you go.

Why not ask your hotel to recommend you some places when you get there?

You could go and have a look at bath Abbey (which is smack in the centre of town) while you're there and just spend some time in the main shopping area, there are often street performers out and about.

Thanks, I'm glad there's a decent choice of supermarkets - good to know. Will definitely be making a trip up the Bath Abbey tower :smile:
Jane Austen Centre if she's into that sort of thing? http://www.janeausten.co.uk/

Also, Bath Aqua Glass - if it's the place I'm thinking of, then you can watch them free-blow glass and buy the end results. http://www.bathaquaglass.com/

There definitely is a Waitrose in the city centre, just inside a small shopping centre.
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
Jane Austen Centre if she's into that sort of thing? http://www.janeausten.co.uk/

Also, Bath Aqua Glass - if it's the place I'm thinking of, then you can watch them free-blow glass and buy the end results. http://www.bathaquaglass.com/

There definitely is a Waitrose in the city centre, just inside a small shopping centre.

Thanks for the URLs, the Tea Room at the Jane Austen centre definitely looks like it's worth a visit :smile: I think I'll skip the glass-blowing though hehehe
If the weather is good then a walk along the river is always really nice :smile: The center is absolutely filled with restaurants and bars -most of which I can't afford to go to so I can't recommend one, but you're sure to see something that takes your fancy
Reply 6
There's also a Marks & Spencers store which sells food in the centre.

As for eating out, I would definitely recommend Sotto Sotto. It's an Italian restaurant, only opened 3 months ago and is already rated no.1 in Bath on Tripadvisor. Reasonably priced and the setting is really nice. Check out the reviews and pictures. You can also see their menu on their website.

Hope you enjoy your Easter break in Bath :smile:
Play with a rubber duck?

:awesome:
Reply 8
You can go to Bristol, it is like 9 minutes on the train..
Reply 9
Original post by Sarieee
There's also a Marks & Spencers store which sells food in the centre.

As for eating out, I would definitely recommend Sotto Sotto. It's an Italian restaurant, only opened 3 months ago and is already rated no.1 in Bath on Tripadvisor. Reasonably priced and the setting is really nice. Check out the reviews and pictures. You can also see their menu on their website.

Hope you enjoy your Easter break in Bath :smile:

Thanks so much for the restaurant suggestion, it looks great so I'll definitely be booking a table! And who can resist yummy M&S food :tongue:
Reply 10
The thing's you've planned so far are all great for dates. For bars...Sub 13 is a cocktail bar at the top of town, if you're into that kinda loud music cocktail bar it's pretty nice (2 for 1 cocktails until 8 most days too!). Great heated beer garden too.

As for restaurants, if you really have no budget the Royal Crescent hotel has a pretty upmarket restaurant, plus it's in the Royal Crescent so amazing location. And if you're looking for a coffee shop/cafe to take a break during the day, I can highly recommend Jika Jika. By far the best coffee in Bath, plus I hear the food is pretty great too.

Enjoy!
Original post by Barden
Play with a rubber duck?

:awesome:

Beat me to it :laugh:
I know Bath well, live just outiside.

Really good eat/drink place (can be cafe restaurant or bar, depends what time and which area of the place -its quite big) is Hall and Woodhouse.
Its probably only been open a year.

Quote me if you want to know anything else, I know the city pretty well!
Bath has an amazing fudge shop - http://www.sanfranciscofudge.co.uk! And Jamie Oliver's restaurant is nice, but gets very busy. Ohh and there's also a pizza restaurant which is really good, upstairs in the Podium Shopping Centre, literally a minute's walk from the Hilton! :smile:
Original post by DrMeredithGrey
Bath has an amazing fudge shop - http://www.sanfranciscofudge.co.uk! And Jamie Oliver's restaurant is nice, but gets very busy. Ohh and there's also a pizza restaurant which is really good, upstairs in the Podium Shopping Centre, literally a minute's walk from the Hilton! :smile:

that pizza place has gone!! the podium is now empty (its going to become john lewis home this year...)

Quick Reply

Latest