Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Proof that omnipotence is impossible.

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    In some ways, I'd say that violating the law of the excluded middle is a type of attempt to interpret an undefined term.

The law of the excluded middle is essentially that any proposition is either completely true, or it is not completely true, and there is no "option in between". But there is no "option in between" is because this is an undefined term.
    If I told you that some statement is completely true, you'd know what I meant. And if I told you that it was not completely true, you'd know what I meant. But if I told you that some statement is neither completely true, nor false in the slightest, you wouldn't know what I meant by that. I wouldn't know what I meant by that. It's an undefined concept.
    Informally, I see what you are driving at, but I don't think it's a good idea in general to mix up language structure and vocabulary.

I agree that in these sorts of arguments, the concept of omnipotence is often incoherent. It's necessary to first agree on a clear definition of what is meant by "omnipotence".

In some cases, we might define "omnipotence" as the ability to do anything - even if it is logically impossible. The question "Is an omnipotent God able to..." must always be answered with "yes", even if the question is meaningless, or logically impossible. Clearly this type of omnipotence is logically impossible. But also, any God with this type of omnipotence would be able to "supercede logic" anyway, so it wouldn't matter that it's paradoxical.

Most theists probably believe that God is "omnipotent" in the sense that no task is too difficult for him, or that he can bring about any logically consistent state of affairs. Clearly this type of omnipotence is logically possible by definition.
    That's a good distinction, so far, but it still leaves room for discussing what difficult means.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apeiron)
    Informally, I see what you are driving at, but I don't think it's a good idea in general to mix up language structure and vocabulary.
    Yes I know - but it's just an informal analogy after all, to illustrate the problem caused when we request God to do "something" which doesn't actually mean anything.

That's a good distinction, so far, but it still leaves room for discussing what difficult means.
    Well, what I mean when I say something is "difficult" is that it takes a lot of power, strength, or other kind of capability to complete such a task. Lifting a car is difficult. Running faster than an aeroplane is difficult.
    This is in contrast with things which are impossible - that is, the reason you are unable to perform these tasks is not because you lack any particular capability. It is because there exists no such capability which would enable you to perform such a task. Drawing a square which is also a circle is impossible. Finding a number greater than 4 but less than 3 is impossible.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes I know - but it's just an informal analogy after all, to illustrate the problem caused when we request God to do "something" which doesn't actually mean anything.

Well, what I mean when I say something is "difficult" is that it takes a lot of power, strength, or other kind of capability to complete such a task. Lifting a car is difficult. Running faster than an aeroplane is difficult.
    This is in contrast with things which are impossible - that is, the reason you are unable to perform these tasks is not because you lack any particular capability. It is because there exists no such capability which would enable you to perform such a task. Drawing a square which is also a circle is impossible. Finding a number greater than 4 but less than 3 is impossible.
    Yes, I realise that. I am thinking in terms of things that would be contrary to the laws of physics, not logic. For example, would it be possible, however unlikely, to find an exoplanet that orbited its star in a rectangle rather than an ellipse?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Can God make a wall so strong he cannot tear it down? If he cannot tear it down, he is not omnipotent. If he cannot create such, he isn't omnipotent, either.

Discussion.
    Being absurd - i.e. self-contradictory - has NOTHING to do with Omnipotence! This is just atheistic NONSENSE - as usual!

"Omnipotence" refers to the property of having the capacity to bring into being ALL possibilities. Self-contradiction - in the absolute sense - as you describe here is NOT something that belongs to the realm of possibilities. A thing CANNOT simultaneously be and not be! Such thinking is simply absurd - even insane!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apeiron)
    Yes, I realise that. I am thinking in terms of things that would be contrary to the laws of physics, not logic. For example, would it be possible, however unlikely, to find an exoplanet that orbited its star in a rectangle rather than an ellipse?
    The answer to that would have to be "yes". I think in most theistic belief systems, God is the one who actually decides what the laws of physics are.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The answer to that would have to be "yes". I think in most theistic belief systems, God is the one who actually decides what the laws of physics are.
    The laws of physics - not just what has been discovered of them - are an Expression of the UNCHANGING Nature of God - in this part of the Universe. They are not things perchance produced on a whim.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NuckingFut)
    How is this "proof"?
    Its merely a hypothetical, and a moot point at that.
    As is the existance of god and the concept of omnipotence in the first place.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Can God make a wall so strong he cannot tear it down? If he cannot tear it down, he is not omnipotent. If he cannot create such, he isn't omnipotent, either.

Discussion.
    Omnipotence cannot exist because it should be able to do EVERYTHING and that includes illogical things such as making a God more powerful than him. So, I would say that an omnipotent being cannot exist.

For religious people: God might or might not exist. But even if he exists and he is powerful and can do awesome things, he is definately not OMNIpotent. He is as bound by us by logical laws and thus, he will never be able to make a squared circle and similar.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by When you see it...)
    As is the existance of god and the concept of omnipotence in the first place.
    This.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: February 26, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.