The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Iceland do things like a 2 pack of chicago town pizzas for £1, so if you fancied something takeaway-ish that's a lunch there already for you both.

We feed the five of us for about £70 a week so I think you'll manage okay. We have switched from Tesco to Iceland though (and only go to tesco for a few things that Iceland doesn't have) because Iceland is way cheaper than Tesco. And frozen veg is so much quicker to prepare than fresh to be honest.

And frozen broccoli is better for you than fresh :tongue:

OP, my boyfriend and I spend about £25-£35 a week on two of us. We eat relatively well (could be better but my boyfriend doesn't eat much veg and doesn't like fruit.) on that, and have curries, chilli, "fish and chips" etc.
We buy a bag of frozen chicken, some turkey mince and battered fish each week. we then have these with pasta sauce, curry sauce, tomato puree and mixed herbs, pasta bakes, chilli sauce, mushy peas.. smart price chips are pretty damn good. Make a homemade curry, serve with chips and it is more like a takeaway than having it with rice, gets rid of takeaway cravings.
Smart price frozen veg is just as good as own brand. Buy potatoes too, you can make your own chips, mash, roasts, and you also can just have jacket potato with beans/tuna etc
You can make fishcakes with tinned tuna and mashed potato - quick, yummy and way cheaper than buying them ready made
10 years ago it wasn’t
Pigeons are free and commonly found in many parks.
Get some cheap cookbooks. Shop on a full stomach. Make your own takeaways. You can actually cook things like egg fried rice. You can even find some ready meals at the local supermarket. Instead of going to expensive fancy restaurants order takeout food or cook your own. You can get cookbooks from online and offline.

Latest