The Student Room Group

LLM's

Which universities are the best for LLM's? (In North England), are generally the best undergraduate law school better for postgraduate law, is there any kind of list rating them all somewhere?

Also if you get a LLB from an average university then an LLM from a "good" university would that compensate for the poor university?

Are LLM's really worth it? How much of an advantage will you have over other applicants?

Any other information?:smile:
Reply 1
What do you intend to do after you graduate?
Reply 2
Probably the LPC but perhaps the BVC.
Reply 3
I remember this question of 'can an LLM rule out the fact I have a law degree from a low-end uni' coming up with a guy I was on a vac scheme with. He basically had done a law degree at the University of Hertfordshire (and got a 1st) and then gone on to UCL to do a masters (and got a mediocre result). He explained that the fact that he did his law degree at a low-end uni meant that he was finding it difficult to get a training contract.

However, this may just be his personal experience and not indicative of the attitude of firms.
Reply 4
LauraWalker is doing the LLM at Cambridge I think in September, you could PM her for her thoughts??

(you seem to be the point of contact for all my recommendations tonight Laura :wink: )
Reply 5
I think really that you should only pursue further study if you truly wish to engage with the law in an even more profound and critical way than you had the occasion to at undergradute level. Doing so solely for the purposes of embellishing one's CV is a route I would not advise.
Reply 6
pineapple_face
I think really that you should only pursue further study if you truly wish to engage with the law in an even more profound and critical way than you had the occasion to at undergradute level. Doing so solely for the purposes of embellishing one's CV is a route I would not advise.

I wasnt asking for advice on whether or not to do it I was asking for information on LLM's and if an LLM would be an advantage etc.:rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending