Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Carling Cup Final: Cardiff City vs Liverpool Predictions & Discussion! 26/02/2012

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol at some people on here trying to put us Liverpool fans down, please please just let us enjoy it.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good on Downing, had a good game

Everyone interviewed had more respect for their opposition than Kenny did, god dam useless guy.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Liverpooooooooooool
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leelad)
    Lol at some people on here trying to put us Liverpool fans down, please please just let us enjoy it.
    Mate I'd love to let you enjoy it, but Cardiff just ****ing lost! How can you expect me to let you enjoy it?! You didn't DESERVE to win and we've been at Wembley a good few times these past few years so if anything WE deserved to win!
    (btw, I'm an Arsenal fan living in Cardiff but I've mellowed due to all my mates being season ticket holders and I'm part of the soul crew now )
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations Liverpool you guys did enough to win the game, Feel absolutely crushed as a Cardiff fan that we lost like that again. Every time it seems we come so close but not enough...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Downing MOTM, bet Dalglish rants at the media now about how he is the best winger in the league and Sky are bang out of order to suggest anything to the contrary.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Really disappointed for Cardiff. Liverpool unsurprisingly had all of the ball but were just so wasteful, at times it wasn't even Cardiff's resolute defending that got them to penalties, just some of the worst shooting you'll ever see by Liverpool. That continued into the shoot out and a club that misses their first two penalties should not then go on to win the shoot out. Cardiff just choked I guess, Miller missed his (and an amazing chance late on in normal time) and that probably set everyone's nerves on edge. I wonder if the shoot out was at the other end whether Cardiff may have been more composed, I guess it's all just ifs and buts for them now, how disappointing.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wanted Cardiff to win, I reckon they deserved it tbh, but full congrats to Liverpool football club, let them enjoy it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leelad)
    Obviously there are biased people, but generally people are saying it is dangerous for Liverpool fans or Liverpool themselves to cling on to this and believe this is someting to 'build on' or is the start of something. Sod the butterfly effect, because nothing will have changed whether Liverpool won or lost after this season. It's not going to get the club more money, nor personnel clamouring to join them because they offer League Cup football or the Europa League.

This season Liverpool went for the League Cup because Dalglish wanted a good start to his job and because Liverpool were likely not going to win the league or Europe, and were no longer flattering to deceive to the point people were saying they were one of the 'Big 4'. The club and fans badly needed a high. Like every season, one of the bigger clubs took the League Cup seriously and, 'lo and behold, they reached the final.

The F.A. Cup could've been different, but these days it's just the League Cup with non-league teams. Not saying that to put down Liverpool, that's the unfortunate truth.
    • 4 followers

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCD23)
    Liverpool didn't deserve that, and should be counting your lucky stars. Your goalkeeper done nothing in the shoot out, it was the Cardiff players terrible penalty taking (seriously missed most).

Liverpool were piss poor and lets face it a poor team in general. You got lucky today.
    To be fair, the two missed cardiff penalties weren't that bad (not on the scale of adams for liverpool). They hit the post and thats usually where players aim for, as far out wide as possible.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just got home. What a game. Just what a game. Cardiff were brilliant. Everyone said Liverpool would cruise in 90. We took them to penalties, we gave them a scare, we created some chances, we scored two goals, and a lot of people (most Liverpool fans) said that Cardiff are/were Premiership quality and they couldn't have watched a better final.

I stayed at the end and clapped the boys, and watched Liverpool lift the cup out of respect. So glad Bellamy paraded the Welsh flag infront of our fans too. And haha, we all cheered him when he actually did the Ayatollah when the Cardiff fans were chanting during the game and Bellamy took the corner "Do the Ayatollah, Bellamy."

Overall, a great game, absolutely brilliant to watch, I will never forget it, totally worth the money, a massive congratulations to Liverpool Football Club. And what a great success this thread turned out to be
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Brilliant
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stripe)

Brilliant
    If I was a Liverpool fan I'd find that a bit depressing myself.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mate I'd love to let you enjoy it, but Cardiff just ****ing lost! How can you expect me to let you enjoy it?! You didn't DESERVE to win and we've been at Wembley a good few times these past few years so if anything WE deserved to win!
    (btw, I'm an Arsenal fan living in Cardiff but I've mellowed due to all my mates being season ticket holders and I'm part of the soul crew now )
    How on earth did we not deserve it? Just look at all of the stats. How can you say a team that scores one goal then just 'parks the bus' for the rest of the match deserved to win? Bitter jealous Arsenal fan. Just because you're winning **** all this season.*Cough* 6 years *Cough* :lol:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saggy8)
    How on earth did we not deserve it? Just look at all of the stats. How can you say a team that scores one goal then just 'parks the bus' for the rest of the match deserved to win? Bitter jealous Arsenal fan. Just because you're winning **** all this season.*Cough* 6 years *Cough* :lol:
    I think you mean 7 years. :awesome:

On topic, well done Cardiff. Brilliant defending and they did so well to pull it back to 2-2 when half their team had some kind of injury.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Come now, why did I get neg repped? I'm being serious. To go from this:

To this:

In only a few years, I would be pretty emo about that if it was my team.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nonotrly)
    Come now, why did I get neg repped? I'm being serious. To go from this:

To this:

In only a few years, I would be pretty emo about that if it was my team.
    Why?
    Contrary to what Sky would have you believe football is about actually winning things, not just finishing 17th and above and then the top 4.
    Are you a Man United fan? I bet you weren't embarrassed in 2009/2010.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by original_username)
    Why?
    Contrary to what Sky would have you believe football is about actually winning things, not just finishing 17th and above and then the top 4.
    Are you a Man United fan? I bet you weren't embarrassed in 2009/2010.
    I am a Man Utd fan, and I hope you won't use that as an excuse to blow off whatever I say as bias (I could've said I supported someone else anyways). I note that you use the word 'embarrassed', which I've never used, but you've chosen to use it. Are you a Liverpool fan?

I don't actually remember 2009/2010, but apparently that was Spurs. I honestly do not remember it, but I know in the past few seasons, if we've won the League Cup, it's simply been a good indicator of strength in depth and good reserves or youths. I do remember Wigan when Chelsea became 'Chelski' and looked incredibly dangerous. I think we hadn't won a trophy for a few seasons. I can only speak for myself, but I fully recognised that winning the League Cup was something to give us something to go 'yay' over, nothing like winning the league, not used as compensation, and absoutely not something to 'build on'.

As mentioned above, it might still only have been used as an indication of our good young and reserve players, because I think we only played a first team in the final, but I might be wrong.

You're right, football is about winning things, and winning the League Cup is not some sort of new beginning that will lead to Liverpool winning things in future. Celebrating this like it's special would just open me up to a Man Utd fan posting a picture of Rio lifting the European Cup or pictures of the league wins of previous seasons, creating a stark reminder. Last season while Man Utd were enjoying a match with Barcelona in the European final, Liverpool were finishing 22 points behind the league winners and 13 points behind the runner-ups.

Liverpool do not want to be following Arsenal's footsteps, looking to feed on the scraps left by the two or three winning clubs. That will happen, if not already, if Liverpool were to win the League Cup every season rather than finish 4th, entering the Champions League. That would put Liverpool at a disadvantage. No more of the likes of Torres and Suarez as players of that ilk choose 'bigger' clubs offering champions league football and a chance of winning it.

I'm just imploring fans not to get their hopes up just because of this win. Liverpool won this cup because they could be bothered, and even then only won it on penalties. I wish I could say different for the F.A. Cup, but if I were to say 'at least the F.A. Cup final opponents can be tough', that would be an insult to Cardiff.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    We won a trophy. It can only be a good thing + it will increase confidence and could help us kick on for the rest of the season. We're happy, as anyone would be. End of.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 27, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football match discussion threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.