Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which sport is better. Football or cricket

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Football is waaaaay better than Cricket.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    A good analogy is a hollywood blockbuster and a great novel.

Football is like a hollywood blockbuster: easy to get into, simple to follow, requires very little intellectual input from the audience, and ultimately an entertaining, if somewhat unsatisfying way to spend a couple of hours.

Cricket is like a great novel: it requires a little hard work to get into, but once you do, it grips you and never lets go, a life changing experience that lives with you forever and leaves you a better, wiser person.

There are some people who eat McDonalds, drink fosters, who like pop music and action movies. They like things to be simple, predictable and to require no effort on their part. These people are natural football fans.

Then there are some people who prefer rare steak, craft beer, complex music, and great works of art. They like things to be challenging, interesting, and intellectually stimulating. These people are natural cricket fans.

Its not better or worse, its just different.
    Excellent analogy. Frustrating as I find the parlous state of football nowadays with its inconsistent inaccurate refs and its cheating players, I do still watch it. You're dead right, it's just...different.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ideas4life)
    I would say football.

Because:

1.The Clothing looks more for someone who participates in a sport. Whereas clothing in cricket=rich guy clothing

2. Has more International Participation

3. Time Scales: cricket match can last a day

4. Controversy: more in football, and it makes it interesting
    Wow you started a thread unrelated to Islam or Muslims. It's a miracle!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Football is the most popular game in the world hands down. That should tell you the better sport
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ideas4life)
    I would say football.

Because:

1.The Clothing looks more for someone who participates in a sport. Whereas clothing in cricket=rich guy clothing

2. Has more International Participation

3. Time Scales: cricket match can last a day

4. Controversy: more in football, and it makes it interesting
    Oh come now, you do get quite a bit in cricket.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Left Hand Drive)
    Football is the most popular game in the world hands down. That should tell you the better sport

You're seriously using that as an argument? Have you learnt nothing from TSR?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Erm, no it isnt.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Now see, I enjoy most of the things you have put in your latter paragraph, but I find test cricket positively boring, both to play and watch. I usually only watch the ashes highlights. Maybe it's because of my generation, but I prefer a good 20:20 match, but that doesn't compare to a game of six nations at the cabbage patch.

IMO it goes rugby=a GOOD f1 race>20-20=snooker>boxing> footy

I sometimes enjoy football, but only live.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    50 over cricket, football is so boring to watch on tv
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    Now see, I enjoy most of the things you have put in your latter paragraph, but I find test cricket positively boring, both to play and watch. I usually only watch the ashes highlights. Maybe it's because of my generation, but I prefer a good 20:20 match, but that doesn't compare to a game of six nations at the cabbage patch.

IMO it goes rugby=a GOOD f1 race>20-20=snooker>boxing> footy

I sometimes enjoy football, but only live.
    A good game of rugby is the best 2 hours you can spend watching sport.

Football I find is 90 minutes of interminable dullness punctuated, if you're lucky, by a brief fleeting moment of beauty and excitement. More often than not its just the dullness.

More happens in the first 10 minutes of a rugby game than in most entire games of football.

Cricket... I can see why some people don't get it. But it gets under your skin. There's such so much to it, so much subtlety and nuance, so many subplots and counterpoints. You never stop discovering cricket, that's its great joy. Sooner or later, all the rugby matches you have seen merge into one big rolling maul, an endless sequence of pick and drives. But somehow every test match remains entirely unique, every plotline distinct and original.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    A good game of rugby is the best 2 hours you can spend watching sport.

Football I find is 90 minutes of interminable dullness punctuated, if you're lucky, by a brief fleeting moment of beauty and excitement. More often than not its just the dullness.

More happens in the first 10 minutes of a rugby game than in most entire games of football.

Cricket... I can see why some people don't get it. But it gets under your skin. There's such so much to it, so much subtlety and nuance, so many subplots and counterpoints. You never stop discovering cricket, that's its great joy. Sooner or later, all the rugby matches you have seen merge into one big rolling maul, an endless sequence of pick and drives. But somehow every test match remains entirely unique, every plotline distinct and original.
    Test cricket in particular gives time for storylines and characters to develop. I've always preferred sports like that. I always prefer rivalries between individuals, hence I will always prefer cricket, tennis and formula one to football and rugby.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raiden10)
    Test cricket in particular gives time for storylines and characters to develop. I've always preferred sports like that. I always prefer rivalries between individuals, hence I will always prefer cricket, tennis and formula one to football and rugby.
    I think it terms of watching sport, cricket has the best of both worlds in terms of featuring both individual and team rivalries simultaneously - a case of both competition and cooperation. You can't really say that about any other sport.

In terms of playing, I can remember the details of almost every cricket game I've ever played in, whereas I can't remember the scoreline of football matches I played in only a couple of months ago. Perhaps its because its that little bit less frenetic that it allows you to take stock during the game, and that allows the situation to sink into your head more.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The answers you will get for this type of question, will e subjective to each individual. It is undeniable that Football globally the most recognised sport in the World, whether if this is a criteria in measuring it as a "better sport" is another story.

As a fan of both sports, they have both have their good points and bad. I would edge towards football though due, to the emotion and unity it brings. Again this my opinion, I believe there is no definitive answer to the question.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Erm, no it isnt.
    What is then?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    What is then?
    Weirdly enough, Cricket.

I take it you haven't been to many places in India, Indonesia, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Africa, Borneo etc, because I can tell you, by and large, that the majority of them all play Cricket for entertainment, or indeed, a crude form of it.

Hell even the bastions of football heartland in Brazil have exhibited this on occasion.

The sport of Cricket extends across the entirety of the former British Empire and beyond.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Weirdly enough, Cricket.

I take it you haven't been to many places in India, Indonesia, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Africa, Borneo etc, because I can tell you, by and large, that the majority of them all play Cricket for entertainment, or indeed, a crude form of it.

Hell even the bastions of football heartland in Brazil have exhibited this on occasion.

The sport of Cricket extends across the entirety of the former British Empire and beyond.
    Let me get this straight: You're seriously telling me that you think cricket is more popular globally than association football?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Weirdly enough, Cricket.

:lol:
    No not even slightly! Cricket is only popular in England in the UK ffs! No I havent but I guess you've not be much places in Europe of the Americas. How many people watched the ashes compared to the world cup? or Euros? Or Champions league or a tie between two top premiership teams or Barcelona vs Real madrid?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    :lol:
    No not even slightly! Cricket is only popular in England in the UK ffs! No I havent but I guess you've not be much places in Europe of the Americas. How many people watched the ashes compared to the world cup? or Euros? Or Champions league or a tie between two top premiership teams or Barcelona vs Real madrid?
    So you measure popularity based on how many people watch it? Rather than how many people play it? In which case the people who 'play it' are hugely hugely predominate in the third world *Which significantly outnumbers the first world who possess televisions*.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    So you measure popularity based on how many people watch it? Rather than how many people play it? In which case the people who 'play it' are hugely hugely predominate in the third world *Which significantly outnumbers the first world who possess televisions*.

Not solely but partially yes ofcourse! Football is the most popular sport to play in the world. Its played in almost every nation on earth. I can't believe you think its cricket.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

Football is the world’s most popular ball game in numbers of participants and spectators. Simple in its principal rules and essential equipment, the sport can be played almost anywhere, from official football playing fields (pitches) to gymnasiums, streets, school playgrounds, parks, or beaches. Football’s governing body, the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), estimated that at the turn of the 21st century there were approximately 250 million football players and over 1.3 billion people “interested” in football
    http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...50852/football

BTW, I'm from Thailand, and I can tell you catagorically that football is the number one sport over there and cricket is about as popular as the Roman salute is in Israel. The same goes for Indonesia and Indochina. I can not even begin to fathom where you got that assumption from.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 3, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.