Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which sport is better. Football or cricket

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Football. You can't beat going around the country watching your local non league side, having a pint in the social club and something to eat with your mates. It's good value for money and played with passion.

I'm not on about this Premier League stuff here. Cricket is a middle/upper class sport on the whole that a load of posh snobs pay ridiculous amounts of money to watch, eating tea and cream scones in a posh executive box at Lords.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben Butler)
    Football. You can't beat going around the country watching your local non league side, having a pint in the social club and something to eat with your mates. It's good value for money and played with passion.

I'm not on about this Premier League stuff here. Cricket is a middle/upper class sport on the whole that a load of posh snobs pay ridiculous amounts of money to watch, eating tea and cream scones in a posh executive box at Lords.

The usual uninformed mindless drivel. There is no correlation between an appreciation for cricket and socioeconomic background whatsoever - although there is a correlation between a subnormal IQ and a preference for football, make of that what you will.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    The usual uninformed mindless drivel. There is no correlation between an appreciation for cricket and socioeconomic background whatsoever - although there is a correlation between a subnormal IQ and a preference for football, make of that what you will.
    LOL! Nice one
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ever wondered why England's national sport is Cricket and not football.....
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Football.

Cricket is just so boring.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like both of the sports Cricket and Football. The Football is completed in short time in 90 minutes when Cricket is long time game. You can enjoy both of the game but for me Football is very interesting game and exciting game.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Your post is the uniformed mindless drivel. There is no correlation between an appreciation for football and a subnormal IQ. In other words, people that watch football are not thick. Cricket fans are priced out of watching test cricket especially (not so much Twenty20, which is good value for money.)

The prices for the current test match in Sri Lanka were so scandalous that the crowd today was largely made up of English fans because the Sri Lankans were priced out of watching it. How is that what sport is all about?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your post is the uniformed mindless drivel. There is no correlation between an appreciation for football and a subnormal IQ. In other words, people that watch football are not thick.
    Do you honestly think that simply by saying "durr no there isn't" that you have provided a competent response to my post? I think that sadly you may be demonstrating my point.

Yes there is a (well documented as it happens) correlation, otherwise I wouldn't have said it. I'm not in the habit of just making things up. Please see the Sport England website for further details of other demographic indicators pertaining to the popularity of various sports, for example did you know that playing tennis is strongly positively correlated with being either aged 10-15 or 60+, but is inversely correlated with ages in between, or that badminton is the only sport that shows a positive correlation with East Asian descent? Fascinating stuff.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cricket fans are priced out of watching test cricket especially (not so much Twenty20, which is good value for money.)
    Tell me, what is better value: 8 hours of international test cricket for £30 (England vs India at Trent Bridge last summer), or 90 minutes of international football for £70 (England vs Moldova)?

Thats either £3.75 an hour to watch the two top ranked teams in the world, or £47 an hour to watch crap vs crapper.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't watch either, and so i'm only going by actually playing the sport, and i'll have to go with football in my own opinion. Football's 90 minutes of intense play and constant involvement, and in a good team, a great deal of teamwork, not to mention a great way of keeping fit.

Cricket on the other hand - half the time you're fielding which consists of barely any movement at all - with a ball bowled every minute or so and how many of them are blocked / left? And then you don't bat for long either - It's just not active enough for my own preferences.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Tizzy XII)
    I don't watch either, and so i'm only going by actually playing the sport, and i'll have to go with football in my own opinion. Football's 90 minutes of intense play and constant involvement, and in a good team, a great deal of teamwork, not to mention a great way of keeping fit.

Cricket on the other hand - half the time you're fielding which consists of barely any movement at all
    only if you're **** and don't know what you're doing.

- with a ball bowled every minute or so and how many of them are blocked / left? And then you don't bat for long either - It's just not active enough for my own preferences.
    again, only if you're **** and don't know what you're doing.

I've played both sports for a number of years. Amateur football contains a lot of standing around. Watch a Sunday league game - the players are walking for about 90% of the time, only running when the ball comes near them.

Fielding in cricket on the other hand - if you play at a reasonable level, is sprint, jog, walk, sprint, jog, walk for 4 straight hours. Batting is ****ing shattering. You try scoring a ton on a hot day and tell me that isn't exercise. It can often involve over 2 miles of sprinting - far more than is involved in your average football match.

I'm far more tired after 7 hours of cricket than I am after 90 minutes of football.
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I enjoy both sports. I think they are both unique in their own ways, so I wouldn't compare the 2. But i'm getting annoyed with cricket lately with all this match fixing going on. For football fans they do sometimes take it a bit too seriously when supporting for their own clubs.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nevermind the greatest sport, cricket is the greatest activity mankind has ever invented. The perfect balance of individual and team sport, the intellectual cat-and-mouse of spin bowling juxtaposed against the ever-present threat of violence of pace bowling.

It's no coincidence that all the best sports books are about cricket: its because cricket is a game that truly earns the appreciation of intellectuals. If cricket is the finest wine known to man, then football is a pint of wifebeater that someone's pissed in... and this is from someone who quite likes football.
    Biggest load of **** I have ever heard.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fielding in cricket is Boooorrinnngg!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    only if you're **** and don't know what you're doing.

again, only if you're **** and don't know what you're doing.

I've played both sports for a number of years. Amateur football contains a lot of standing around. Watch a Sunday league game - the players are walking for about 90% of the time, only running when the ball comes near them.

Fielding in cricket on the other hand - if you play at a reasonable level, is sprint, jog, walk, sprint, jog, walk for 4 straight hours. Batting is ****ing shattering. You try scoring a ton on a hot day and tell me that isn't exercise. It can often involve over 2 miles of sprinting - far more than is involved in your average football match.

I'm far more tired after 7 hours of cricket than I am after 90 minutes of football.
    Firstly, this is a subjective question and I gave my opinion, so do us all a favour and stop being so ostentatious. Secondly, you say that you're not in the habit of making things up, yet you state that cricket involves more sprinting individually than football and that fielding is 4 hours of constant movement. :curious:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, this is a subjective question and I gave my opinion, so do us all a favour and stop being so ostentatious. Secondly, you say that you're not in the habit of making things up, yet you state that cricket involves more sprinting individually than football and that fielding is 4 hours of constant movement. :curious:
    "I gave my opinion" is just shorthand for "I'm talking bullcrap and I know it".

But then we already knew that anyway...

Here are some footballers in the middle of a game. Are they standing or sprinting?

How much do footballers sprint during a game?

for about a minute to three minutes in each game—they make two to four seconds 12 mile an hour sprints
    3 minutes at 12 miles an hour is less than a single mile. That's less than half the amount of sprinting a cricketer will do.

A batsman scoring a ton will sprint 1.5-2 miles in a couple of hours. Thats a much higher rate.

A competent fielder will sprint 10-20 yards every delivery in an intense game. That a ridiculously frenetic pace compared to a centre back standing around with occasional jogging and a mere 3 minutes of sprinting in the football match.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    "I gave my opinion" is just shorthand for "I'm talking bullcrap and I know it".
    How can I talk bullcrap about a subjective opinion over which sport is better? Quite frankly I don't give a crap about what you think or your opinions on who does more in either sport. Arguing with you further would be both a waste of time and detrimental to my intelligence.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    How can I talk bullcrap about a subjective opinion over which sport is better? Quite frankly I don't give a crap about what you think or your opinions on who does more in either sport. Arguing with you further would be both a waste of time and detrimental to my intelligence.
    Several of the claims you made in your original contribution were not "subjective" at all, they were both a) objectively measurable and b) categorically wrong. That's all I'm pointing out - that you're completely wrong and you don't know what you're talking about. That statement is not my subjective opinion by the way, its simply a fact.

Enjoy your day, and next time you post your "opinion", please try and make sure it isn't such a big stinking pile of ignorant sterotypical bull****.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Several of the claims you made in your original contribution were not "subjective" at all, they were both a) objectively measurable and b) categorically wrong. That's all I'm pointing out - that you're completely wrong and you don't know what you're talking about. That statement is not my subjective opinion by the way, its simply a fact.

Enjoy your day, and next time you post your "opinion", please try and make sure it isn't such a big stinking pile of ignorant sterotypical bull****.
    Fine, I'll bite.

You say a batsman will run 2 miles? That would be assuming 160 runs in a standard game? I doubt that's the statistical average. Further, you say that each fielder will sprint x distance for each ball bowled - well no, they won't, unless they are all placed in the exact same area and all try and field the ball - and i'm counting any movement in preparation for the bowl as inconsequential because, well, it is.

You were talking about being categorically wrong and ignorance?

Do you not see the futility in furthering this discussion? I do. And so I won't.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fine, I'll bite.

You say a batsman will run 2 miles? That would be assuming 160 runs in a standard game? I doubt that's the statistical average. Further, you say that each fielder will sprint x distance for each ball bowled - well no, they won't, unless they are all placed in the exact same area and all try and field the ball - and i'm counting any movement in preparation for the bowl as inconsequential because, well, it is.

You were talking about being categorically wrong and ignorance?

Do you not see the futility in furthering this discussion? I do. And so I won't.
    No offence, but you clearly know nothing about cricket whatsoever. What is the highest level you have played? You honestly think that only the fielder that sprints is the one fielding the ball? :facepalm2:

Remember: a batsman also runs for all his partners non-boundary runs as well.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 3, 2012
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.