Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which sport is better. Football or cricket

Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ideas4life)
    1.The Clothing looks more for someone who participates in a sport. Whereas clothing in cricket=rich guy clothing
    Congratulations on coming out to the world.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Do you honestly think that simply by saying "durr no there isn't" that you have provided a competent response to my post? I think that sadly you may be demonstrating my point.

Yes there is a (well documented as it happens) correlation, otherwise I wouldn't have said it. I'm not in the habit of just making things up. Please see the Sport England website for further details of other demographic indicators pertaining to the popularity of various sports, for example did you know that playing tennis is strongly positively correlated with being either aged 10-15 or 60+, but is inversely correlated with ages in between, or that badminton is the only sport that shows a positive correlation with East Asian descent? Fascinating stuff.
    Have you got your own opinion? Don't talk about Sport England, that word is associated with Northwich Vics Lol
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Tell me, what is better value: 8 hours of international test cricket for £30 (England vs India at Trent Bridge last summer), or 90 minutes of international football for £70 (England vs Moldova)?

Thats either £3.75 an hour to watch the two top ranked teams in the world, or £47 an hour to watch crap vs crapper.
    I would rather watch 90 minutes of England versus Moldova and that says something because I find international football boring. Non League football is what I was talking about mate. Cricket is slow and boring and didn't England absolutely destroy India in an incredible one sided contest?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben Butler)
    I would rather watch 90 minutes of England versus Moldova and that says something because I find international football boring. Non League football is what I was talking about mate. Cricket is slow and boring and didn't England absolutely destroy India in an incredible one sided contest?
    It was one sided, because England were simply brilliant in completely dismantling the no 1 test side in the world - that series ranked along with the Ashes as the greatest sporting performance of 2011.

If you're too stupid to be able to appreciate breathtaking sporting excellence then that's your loss. :dontknow:

Non league football is breathtakingly ****e to watch. 90 minutes of long throw-ins and "get rid of it". Its hardly a game for the purists is it? I go and watch league 2 occasionally and the majority of the crowd spend the time alternating between laughing and complaining about how utterly incompetent the players are. If I was as bad as my job as a league 2 footballer I would be sacked within an hour.

If sitting with a pint watching crap sport is your thing, go and watch your local village cricket team. It will be a better standard of competition than conference football, entry will be free, and you will probably even get a free sandwich if you ask nicely.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Phelps)
    Firstly how is this even a question. I don't do any sport and even I know the answer is going to be football. Yes, that was a general sweeping statement if you have an issue with it quote me with facts proving otherwise and I will happily edit!

Football is easier to play on any location. Cricket you run the risk of smashing windows and walking around your local park with a cricket bat is seen as attempted murder these days. Whereas you can play football on just about any surface with less damage to be done by a ball hitting something.

I was going to write more, but I lost the will because this is just silly.
    I would advise that you study the general format of a question bofor asking rediculous things.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cricket, it's more sophisticated.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Its down the the person. There is no overall better sport, just the one you prefer most. Yes, more people prefer football to cricket in the UK, Brazil, Spain etc. but ask the same question in India, Pakistan etc. and you'll get more favour towards cricket. What we can take from this, is that just because something is liked by billions of people doesn't make it right. Its like asking, which religion is better, which colour is better, etc. Its just down to the individual person, there is no definitive answer.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cricket

/thread
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:

Out of interest, do you think rugby is seen as a posh sport where you're from?
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do enjoy cricket, but football will always be better as far as I'm concerned - It's played at a much faster pace and so more happening - more exciting.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    football

its cheaper all you need is some tshirts and your good to go with cricket you need loads of equipment. plus iits way more exciting in crickets theres too much standing round doing nothing
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It was one sided, because England were simply brilliant in completely dismantling the no 1 test side in the world - that series ranked along with the Ashes as the greatest sporting performance of 2011.

If you're too stupid to be able to appreciate breathtaking sporting excellence then that's your loss. :dontknow:

Non league football is breathtakingly ****e to watch. 90 minutes of long throw-ins and "get rid of it". Its hardly a game for the purists is it? I go and watch league 2 occasionally and the majority of the crowd spend the time alternating between laughing and complaining about how utterly incompetent the players are. If I was as bad as my job as a league 2 footballer I would be sacked within an hour.

If sitting with a pint watching crap sport is your thing, go and watch your local village cricket team. It will be a better standard of competition than conference football, entry will be free, and you will probably even get a free sandwich if you ask nicely.
    England were not brilliant, they just swept aside a very poor Indian team that were ageing, feeling the effects of the IPL and poor away from home. They were not a true number one side, just like the current England team aren't because they can't play in conditions away from what they are familiar with.

Look at the current hammering England have received at the hands of Pakistan and a struggle is on in the current test match against Sri Lanka, due to their failure to deal with spin.

Non League football is not poor. The quality is far better than you think, hence these non league teams beating higher league opposition in the FA Cup. League Two isn't even in non league and the quality of that league isn't bad at all.

There are some good players, most clubs get a couple thousand gates, it's the same in the Conference. Northwich Victoria play in the Evo-Stik Premier Division, most teams at our level struggle to get a few hundred. There is a big difference between League Two/Conference and the Dog and Duck League.

Cricket is a far more amateur sport. There are two major divisions in the county game and then it's amateur stuff basically, and look at the farce that is the cricket World Cup. You have ten decent teams (if that) and the rest are appaling.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, do you think rugby is seen as a posh sport where you're from?
    I'm from Northwich in Cheshire. Rugby League is the popular sport in the North West and that is certainly viewed as a working class sport, just like non league football is generally. There's nothing wrong with that at all. I associate rugby union as being a posh, more Southern sport. Rugby League is where it lies. I've got a feeling that you disagree with me there as well.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nevermind the greatest sport, cricket is the greatest activity mankind has ever invented. The perfect balance of individual and team sport, the intellectual cat-and-mouse of spin bowling juxtaposed against the ever-present threat of violence of pace bowling.

It's no coincidence that all the best sports books are about cricket: its because cricket is a game that truly earns the appreciation of intellectuals. If cricket is the finest wine known to man, then football is a pint of wifebeater that someone's pissed in... and this is from someone who quite likes football.
    Which books are these?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I personally would say Cricket, as a huge India fan. They are both great sports and can both be exciting and boring. Cricket is reaching out to the rest of the world now, countries like Italy, Namibia, Afghanistan etc. all have teams and hopefully will all come up and compete with the best in the world. Afghanistan are almost there already.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    England were not brilliant, they just swept aside a very poor Indian team that were ageing, feeling the effects of the IPL and poor away from home. They were not a true number one side, just like the current England team aren't because they can't play in conditions away from what they are familiar with.

Look at the current hammering England have received at the hands of Pakistan and a struggle is on in the current test match against Sri Lanka, due to their failure to deal with spin.

Non League football is not poor. The quality is far better than you think, hence these non league teams beating higher league opposition in the FA Cup. League Two isn't even in non league and the quality of that league isn't bad at all.

There are some good players, most clubs get a couple thousand gates, it's the same in the Conference. Northwich Victoria play in the Evo-Stik Premier Division, most teams at our level struggle to get a few hundred. There is a big difference between League Two/Conference and the Dog and Duck League.

Cricket is a far more amateur sport. There are two major divisions in the county game and then it's amateur stuff basically, and look at the farce that is the cricket World Cup. You have ten decent teams (if that) and the rest are appaling.
    Absolute rubbish. Just because people get paid to alternate kicking the opposition and the ball into the stands does not say anything at all about the relative standard. It just tells you about the popularity of the sport with the (largely idiotic) public.

The standard of non-league football in this country is roughly comparable to the standard of non-premier league village cricket that I play every Saturday.

County Champ = Prem League
    Minor Counties = Championship
    Premier leagues = league 1, league 2
    village cricket = non league football
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Absolute rubbish. Just because people get paid to alternate kicking the opposition and the ball into the stands does not say anything at all about the relative standard. It just tells you about the popularity of the sport with the (largely idiotic) public.

The standard of non-league football in this country is roughly comparable to the standard of non-premier league village cricket that I play every Saturday.

County Champ = Prem League
    Minor Counties = Championship
    Premier leagues = league 1, league 2
    village cricket = non league football
    Rubbish. Cricket will never have the money or supporter's football has. Do you know that the Evo-Stik Division One North (7 leagues below the Premier League) is a semi-professional league? FC United and Chester attract over 2,000 fans in the sixth tier of non league football. Village cricket is amateur.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cricket, without doubt. I've been supporting England since I was a young child. I've been with watching them, through thick and thin, and I'm only 20 now.

The game is exhilarating to watch. From the epic ness of T20's to the class and suspense of Test matches.

I mean, who could miss the 2005 Ashes series ? One of the best series ever, in my opinion.

Cricket is truly a gentleman's game.

P.S - Oh gosh, England lost though, even though they had the match in the bag with Trott and Prior playing. How many times has England done that ? Create a match out of a lost cause, only to lose it ? Bitterly disappointed because they batted well on a difficult pitch.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rubbish. Cricket will never have the money or supporter's football has. Do you know that the Evo-Stik Division One North (7 leagues below the Premier League) is a semi-professional league? FC United and Chester attract over 2,000 fans in the sixth tier of non league football. Village cricket is amateur.
    So what? Re-read my first sentence in the previous post because you have clearly missed the point:

Just because people get paid to alternate kicking the opposition and the ball into the stands does not say anything at all about the relative standard. It just tells you about the popularity of the sport with the (largely idiotic) public.
    Village cricket is amateur, yes. That does not mean it is not a higher standard that semi-professional football.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Got to be football. The atmosphere can't be beaten. Where ever you are, you can always strike up a conversation about football no matter who you support.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 3, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.