The Student Room Group

Australian guy who claims he was racially abused goes to court..Gday Mate

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well he may have a case is it just banter?

The main thing people say is wrong with racism is that you are targetting someone over something they have no control or choice over this guy doesn't have a choice about his nationality of accent yet he was being targetted for example in Scotland plenty of kids from my school were bullied for being English and having an English accent it went past just banter. I've got an English mum and I got ripped for for it which was just banter but some kids got it far worse than I ever did. If you say to the black guy in your work "wassup *****" or if you call the the asian guy a "Paki" even if it's just in a jokey or friendly way would that be classed as banter? no it wouldn't societies classification of what's racism and what isn't is deeply flawed.

So how do any of you know what abuse he was given and whever it over stepped the mark? i'm not saying for sure that he has a case but to rule it out or ridicule him without looking at the evidence it wrong and again highlights how our society picks and chooses what's racist and what isn't with no actual logic.
Reply 2
Original post by Shabalala
Well he may have a case is it just banter?

The main thing people say is wrong with racism is that you are targetting someone over something they have no control or choice over this guy doesn't have a choice about his nationality of accent yet he was being targetted for example in Scotland plenty of kids from my school were bullied for being English and having an English accent it went past just banter. I've got an English mum and I got ripped for for it which was just banter but some kids got it far worse than I ever did. If you say to the black guy in your work "wassup *****" or if you call the the asian guy a "Paki" even if it's just in a jokey or friendly way would that be classed as banter? no it wouldn't societies classification of what's racism and what isn't is deeply flawed.

So how do any of you know what abuse he was given and whever it over stepped the mark? i'm not saying for sure that he has a case but to rule it out or ridicule him without looking at the evidence it wrong and again highlights how our society picks and chooses what's racist and what isn't with no actual logic.

Look at the uproar when Jade Goody said to Shilpa Shetti 'Shilpa Popadom' and other very similar nationality based gags. That was deemed racist and unacceptable (typical in PC england), yet the exact same to a white australian guy is seen as he cant take a joke and needs to lighten up? This is the debate here, it seems a one rule for one, one for another when it comes to racism. Similar apathetic reactions are met when its heard in the media an asian or black person called someone a 'white bitch'.
Once again, nationalities are not races. Cultures are not races. If I called an Indian a curry muncher then there is nothing wrong, just as if I called an Australian a barbie muncher. It's all nonsense. However, if Indians are claiming that 'curry muncher' is racist somehow, then I guess this Aussie has a claim, unless we live in a racist double standards towards whites society. But in my opinion, jokes about countries are not racist.
Original post by Snagprophet
Once again, nationalities are not races. Cultures are not races. If I called an Indian a curry muncher then there is nothing wrong, just as if I called an Australian a barbie muncher. It's all nonsense. However, if Indians are claiming that 'curry muncher' is racist somehow, then I guess this Aussie has a claim, unless we live in a racist double standards towards whites society. But in my opinion, jokes about countries are not racist.

Its not about what people say, its about how they mean it. Somebody called me a curry muncher when I was younger and I was like...yeah I am lol and then I realised they meant it in a derogatory way and that's when I took it as racist. If these guys were joking (and it me it sounds like they were just joking) then this guy is over-reacting. If they weren't then....
Reply 5
I thought Australians were the kings of both banter and racism!
Reply 6

he's such a wimp! haha who would get so upset just by that?

Though, i can imagine how annoying it would get cause the English are so very wrong about Australian slang. In the 4 years I have lived in Aus, never ever have I heard anyone say 'throw another shrimp on the barbie", "sheila", or even "g'day mate". Still can't imagine anyone else being on the verge of suicide because of it...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Aussie-Pom
he's such a wimp! haha who would get so upset just by that?

Though, i can imagine how annoying it would get cause the English are so very wrong about Australian slang. In the 4 years I have lived in Aus, never ever have I heard anyone say 'throw another shrimp on the barbie", "sheila", or even "g'day mate". Still can't imagine anyone else being on the verge of suicide because of it...

'Throw another shrimp on the barbie' hahahahaha i absoloutely laughed at that big time :biggrin:
He's got a case for harassment, but not racial abuse.
Reply 9
I suppose if it were someone going to court over racial stereotypes people would support it so nation stereotyping should fit into the same category.
Reply 10
Original post by lambert1
I suppose if it were someone going to court over racial stereotypes people would support it so nation stereotyping should fit into the same category.

People are accused of racism for questioning Islam, surely that means this is also racist?
Original post by Chloe xxx
People are accused of racism for questioning Islam, surely that means this is also racist?

Exactly. The morons have just shown their hypocrisy. If someone took the piss out of an Indian for being Indian then they'd be called racists.
Reply 12
Original post by Snagprophet
Exactly. The morons have just shown their hypocrisy. If someone took the piss out of an Indian for being Indian then they'd be called racists.

It seems the rule only applies for those of 'dark' colouring. Whites should just put up and shut up, its only a joke. :rolleyes:
Reply 13
So people said 'G'day mate Sport' and he's gone to court.

Can't you just feel the pain and suffering this man must be going through? Neither can I, but I'm willing to be someone out there is stupid enough to give him some money for compensation. Which is what he wants from this, if we're being honest.
Reply 14
I think they're taking it as a joke article. Looking at the picture frames, they've highlighted C's "Skippy the kangaroo" souvenir and put in a plate of Sydney Opera House for no particular reason and then labelled it.
Good for him. One way racism is not fair.

For example if I called an Indian guy a "curry muncher" or if I did an indian accent while doing it I would get in trouble for it.

Yet saying "go put a another shrimp on the barbie" in an Australian is just as bad and as such I should get in trouble for it aswell.

Double Standards :rolleyes:
Reply 16
He should try being a "Pom" or a "Whinging Pom" in Australia. The stupid convict crim scubag should be put on the first packet back to the colonies and sent to hard labour.

Sorry is that a bit much? Sense of humour failure wot.

-----------------
Also Australians are't a seperate race so I can't see how it can be racist.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by GunnerBill
Also Australians are't a seperate race so I can't see how it can be racist.

Racism is a prejudice against a race, ethnicity or nationality.
Reply 18
Looooooool
he doesn't have a sense of humour :smile:
Reply 19
Quite odd, seeing as though in Australia we make fun of Englishmen and Americans regularly.

Quick Reply