The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Interview dress code?

Hi everyone,

I'm an American student that was just offered an interview for European Social and Political Studies. The interview is going to be conducted over Skype, so I'm not sure whether or not they expect me to dress up or just wear something very average. For me, my daily outfit is a button-down plaid shirt, jeans, and sneakers. Do you think that would be ok, or should I wear a tie, or maybe a polo shirt?

Also, how likely is it that I'll be accepted if I've been asked for an interview and asked to take the entrance exam?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Genral rule of thumb for interviews is you can't dress too smart, as much as we try not to, we will always judge on first impressions.

Obviously not something like a tuxedo though :wink:
(was watching step-brothers earlier that scene makes me laugh every time)

Edit: I am clearly stupid, you should wear a bright red thong, ignore what i said completely it was stupid and clearly would not bring you out as a memorable applicant to the interviewers.
(edited 12 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by TERMStudent
Hi everyone,

I'm an American student that was just offered an interview for European Social and Political Studies. The interview is going to be conducted over Skype, so I'm not sure whether or not they expect me to dress up or just wear something very average. For me, my daily outfit is a button-down plaid shirt, jeans, and sneakers. Do you think that would be ok, or should I wear a tie, or maybe a polo shirt?

Also, how likely is it that I'll be accepted if I've been asked for an interview and asked to take the entrance exam?

Thanks in advance!

If they are going to see you, at least wear a smart cotton or polyester business shirt. Nothing too lumberjacky. No one is going to care whether or not you're wearing jeans and sneakers because people on skype don't usually get to see that unless you're performing some kind of strip show.

Can't say how likely it is, plenty of people get asked to interview, competition is tough. As likely as you getting any job if you go to the interview, really
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
marcusfox, I was hoping my strip show could be a selling point for me.

Twisty, talk about being a memorable applicant...this just reminded me of the application video I sent to Tufts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLLxzi7Vhvo. We had the choice of making a video instead of writing an essay, so I made that. I wonder how the bright red thong would compare...

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll just wear a polo shirt I suppose.
What you suggest sounds perfectly okay. At UK universities there are a very few subjects for which your not wearing a suit to an interview will leave you underdresssed relative to the interviewers. Medicine and the PGCE interview are two that spring to mind. Otherwise, smart casual is ideal and is what your interviewer will likely be wearing as well.
Reply 5
I'm going to be the vote splitter and say polo shirt.
They'll be used to looking at students with purple hair and faces full of piercings tbh... Business suit and imo you're going to overdress the people interviewing you... Which would make me feel awkward.

Quick Reply