Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

did i handle this situation right with my sister?

Announcements Posted on

i was babysitting tonight for my sister. she is 23 and has a daughter
    i am 21 and not going out tonight so thought i'd offer to babysit

about 10 minutes ago she came home hammered, clothes hanging off her and with her was some lad about her age who i've never met before and i'm fairly sure she doesn't know him that well either

i know full well why he was there...i mean its obvious

basically i had a quick chat with him and then left to come back home

but all the way home i was thinking that maybe i should have told him to get ****ed and leave the house? i should have stayed with my sister i think

i know she's 23 and i cant tell her how to live her life. but at the same time i'm protective of her and she was really drunk and he was obviously there to sleep with her.

anyway i left and didnt say a word. was i right? or should i have told him to jog on?

bit worried.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

about 10 minutes ago she came home hammered, clothes hanging off her and with her was some lad about her age who i've never met before and i'm fairly sure she doesn't know him that well either

but all the way home i was thinking that maybe i should have told him to get ****ed and leave the house? i should have stayed with my sister i think

i know she's 23 and i cant tell her how to live her life. but at the same time i'm protective of her and she was really drunk and he was obviously there to sleep with her.

anyway i left and didnt say a word. was i right? or should i have told him to jog on?

bit worried.
    I'm going to guess here that she went out with the intention of finding someone like him...

(Original post by Hopple)
    I'm going to guess here that she went out with the intention of finding someone like him...
    maybe but still pissed me off
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It depends if her hooring is likely to be detrimental to her daughter or bring harm to herself.If neither is likely then leave it, if either is then shout in her face: "Oh foul harlot, you are dead to me" and "your daughter will grow up to be a manky hoor like you" "Do you want this woman?!". After a period of not speaking to you, she will be shocked into changing her bad ways, and then thank you.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wait, if she's wasted, surely you shouldn't have left the child with her and some stranger?

(Original post by Bazlehman)
    It depends if her hooring is likely to be detrimental to her daughter or bring harm to herself.If neither is likely then leave it, if either is then shout in her face: "Oh foul harlot, you are dead to me" and "your daughter will grow up to be a manky hoor like you" "Do you want this woman?!". After a period of not speaking to you, she will be shocked into changing her bad ways, and then thank you.
    alright cheers mate
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Surely you could have stayed there the night for the child's sake, itll need somebody to look after it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol is bad when your trying to solve math problems...

1+1 =/= 1, as your sister will find out in 8 months time :cool:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    She is as responsible as he is, suppress your urges.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    Leaving a child with a drunk person and a stranger is a terrible idea. I would have taken the child to my home to look after him/her for the night, or stayed.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't care less that she went out & got drunk & pulled, she's an adult & that's her business. but I would be furious & disgusted that she did it when she's coming home to a child she is supposed to be in charge of. Even on a night out if I'm coming home to my daughter I will only have 1, 2 at the most. Aside from the fact that my 5 year old will be jumping on my head at 6am & I can't be doing with that when I have a hangover, what if something were to happen in the night & I need to think quick or drive or something? What if because I'm drunk I don't realise how much noise me & my random bloke are making & she wakes up & comes in to see me up to allsorts with some stranger? What if I pass out & this guy I have no knowledge of goes into her room?? And then that leads on to 300,000 more what if's.

She's a mother. It's all well & good having a life too, but she needs to grow & up take responsibility for the child she brought into the world. If she wants to act like that she needs to have the child sleepover somewhere else, not have a babysitter come in. I'd be (and I am actually) bloody furious with her.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Dude dont worry about it, i am protctive of my siblings but she is old and wise enough to think for herself, if you try and interfere at that point especially after a few drinks she will only resent you for it. Just have a casual chat tomorow if you think you need to but dont make a big deal of it its your sis so dont make her feel bad

(Original post by Anonymous)

bit worried.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The poor child.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's a reason why your sister is a single mother OP, a leopard doesn't change its spots. I would have taken her daughter with you and left her to it with her one nighter.

Sad state of affairs, but I guess there's not much you can do. If she chooses to live a life of debauchery, no one can stop her.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IB_19)
    The poor child.
    Yes it's terrible. What a vicious cycle, the poor child is going to grow up believing that her mother's behaviour is normal.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Woah hang on a minute babygirl!!! I'm a single mother and that's because my husband of 9 years decided to hit me then have an affair with his secretary! I havent been able to go out for 18 months as I've never had a babysitter but if I ever get the chance to have a full night off I will probably do a very similar thing to this sister! But it doesn't mean I'm a bad mum or that I'm going to have another baby or that my daughter will know anything about it or be influenced by it at all! Just because I'm a mother doesn't mean I'm not entitled to a night off occasionally or doomed to never have sex again! I don't judge this sister for having a night out, I judge her for returning to be in charge of a child in an unfit state with a strange drunk man in the house.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    There is no way I would of left, I would of made the guy leave too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i would have left her to it, as i believe people should make their own mistakes in life, i cant tell someone how they should live, and i wouldnt want anyone to do same to me,it often spurs me to try harder, as a sort of barney stinson "challenge accepted" kind of thing, though my sister is very protective of me (Im 22, she is 24)and has always been extremely protective of me, but then so are my friends and they wouldnt have let me bring a stranger home if i was that wasted anyway, they would make sure i got home safe or force me to crash at theirs instead.

however i would have stayed over to make sure my niece was ok. i would also maybe have had a quiet word with her to see if she was sure she wanted to do it and if not would have happily helped throw him out then looked after my sister as well (i have looked after her on several occasions when she's had a few too many drinks as she doesnt do ill very well, but luckily never had her bring ppl home with that intention before around me, and sometimes a quick "are you sure you wanna have sex with that?! can be enough to make them think about it and realise they actually dont wanna go there).
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a shame that people are busy screwing while absolutely hammered when they have a baby in the house and nobody else to look after her. People who are piss drunk often can't look after themselves nevermind a baby. I think she should have asked you to take the kid overnight. I wouldn't usually comment but since you're asking. It's not the sex or the drunkenness, but when there's nobody else around to look out for the baby that's sad.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 29, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.