Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

POLL: Atheists: If you had to choose, which Religion would you join?

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Which Religion would you join?
    Christianity
    12.16%
    Islam
    11.82%
    Bahá'í
    1.01%
    Sikhism
    2.03%
    Taoism
    3.04%
    Jainism
    1.69%
    Confucianism
    1.69%
    Shinto
    1.01%
    Buddhism
    55.07%
    Zoroastrianism
    2.36%
    Judaism
    3.72%
    Hinduism
    4.39%

• 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Buddhism because most of their teachings are pretty sound and they have a great attitude towards animals.
    I agree that Buddhism is one of the few religions that does promote kindness towards animals. However, I've been to and lived in a few Buddhist countries and you would not be happy with the way animals are treated over here. Street dogs and cats are treated extremely badly around where I live. I've had to intervene a few times on some upsetting treatment towards dogs which has resulted in a few confrontations, one of which left me with a black eye!

Remember, Buddhism is still a religion and so it still promotes old fashioned morals and values which shouldn't exist in a modern society. And don't believe everything you hear about Buddhists. Not all of them are as calm and happy as you might think.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    I agree that Buddhism is one of the few religions that does promote kindness towards animals. However, I've been to and lived in a few Buddhist countries and you would not be happy with the way animals are treated over here. Street dogs and cats are treated extremely badly around where I live. I've had to intervene a few times on some upsetting treatment towards dogs which has resulted in a few confrontations, one of which left me with a black eye!

Remember, Buddhism is still a religion and so it still promotes old fashioned morals and values which shouldn't exist in a modern society. And don't believe everything you hear about Buddhists. Not all of them are as calm and happy as you might think.
    Oh yeah I know but that's undeveloped countries for you, they just don't really have the support system in place. They treat wild animals kindly though, wolves would still be in the UK if we had the attitude that Buddhists take.

I know quite a bit about Buddhism as I has an exchange student from nepal when I was in primary school and we have kept in touch ever since. But yeah, there has been violence etc in the past, as with any religion.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Laveyan Satanism.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Buddhism: it doesn't have a god.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Roma gods. Jupiter is the man.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whichever one was holding the gun to my head. Otherwise I wouldn't have to join, would I?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Church of Kopimism.

Piracy ftw.

Ahhh, didn't read question. One that requires the least amount of commitment.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmmpie)
    Whichever one was holding the gun to my head.
    That's most likely to be CENSORED.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't like questions like this. If I had to choose? Well if that was ever the situation I'd never believe it anyway. I guess I'd just choose the one that requires the least participation, I can't hack sitting in a damp church every week or praying in the middle of the street.

I can't see why everyone would choose Buddhism though, it's not necessarily this idyllic tolerant religion you might think it is, it requires a lot of commitment, things such as sexual enjoyment are strictly forbidden for example. There are loads of young white kids who claim to be Buddhist because they've read the Buddhism Wikipedia article, but go spend some time with real Buddhists and it'll probably be quite the culture shock.

Anyway to answer the question I don't know, maybe Taoism or Shinto, as far as I know they don't really require you to do or even believe much.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brutal Honesty)
    This is incorrect.

(Original post by emerset)
    Buddhism is an offshoot of Hinduism, so although it is a single-sentence over-generalization, it's not very incorrect.
    I guess the better way to say it they are "agnostic" about the gods, it does vary from one for of Buddhism to another, but at its core, the religion makes no pronunciation in favor or against the gods.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Buddhism as it's a) one I know a little about and b) of those I do know of, it's not violent and focuses on nature.

Actually I have no clue - but this would be the one I'd investigate first!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Clearly some muslims have voted for Islam :rolleyes:

EDIT: Clearly a muslim negged me
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blacklistmember)
    Clearly some muslims have voted for Islam :rolleyes:
    It could be former Muslims, I mean if we all had to chose some people may decide to go back to their old religion for family or cultural reasons even if they do not believe in the actual religion.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why are Dionysian cults not in the list?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Left Hand Drive)
    The Roma gods. Jupiter is the man.
    I disagree; the Greek gods are far more interesting and the Romans gods are just a poor imitation.
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    If i were ever going to join an organised religion then it would probably be Buddhism.

Primarily because of the set of beliefs but also because Buddhists worship those beliefs rather than a deity (the Dollie Lamb a is merely a symbol of those beliefs and not an actual God).

Open to being spiritual but i will never worship any one person other than myself as i do not believe that anybody is superior to myself (though i acknowledge the majority as equals).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Probably Christianity seeing as I wouldn't have to change much about my life or lifestyle seeing as western civillization is moulded around Christianity.

Buddhism does seem the least violent and opressive religion though
    • 26 followers

Scientology anyone? :holmes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S-man10)
    Scientology anyone? :holmes:
    Not a religion. :P
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    Laveyan Satanism.
    I gave you a pos rep to counteract the neg rep you received for this post.

This is a thread asking people for what religion they would choose if they had to, and other posters are making suggestions other than the 12 main religions.

Religions are not all equal, but there should be an equality in allowing people to make any suggestions they like for beliefs. So [insert swearword] to whoever negged you.

(Edit p.s. By religions are not equal, I mean that there are legitimate preferences for people to have about religion, such as the majority of atheists seeing Buddhism favourably. So I am happy with the idea that people may have an issue with Laveyan Satanism. I don't, it looks quite jolly in my mind. But people absolutely should not have a problem with other people having a favourable outlook to a religion they see as bad - or at least, not a problem enough to neg you for your opinion.)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 14, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.