Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

POLL: Atheists: If you had to choose, which Religion would you join?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
  • View Poll Results: Which Religion would you join?
    Christianity
    12.16%
    Islam
    11.82%
    Bahá'í
    1.01%
    Sikhism
    2.03%
    Taoism
    3.04%
    Jainism
    1.69%
    Confucianism
    1.69%
    Shinto
    1.01%
    Buddhism
    55.07%
    Zoroastrianism
    2.36%
    Judaism
    3.72%
    Hinduism
    4.39%

• 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CitizensUnited)
    Not a religion. :P
    What is your definition of 'religion' then? How is Scientology not a religion? I don't see how it's any less of a religion than Buddhism is.

On that note, my Mum refuses to see Buddhism as a religion, so perhaps you share her view.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    If you had to join one of the 12 major world religion's, which one would it be?

Also, please comment and leave your reason's as to why you have chosen that Religion.

(Please no insulting any of the Religion's mentioned as there will most likely by people on these forum's who are part of that Religion, thanks).
    You don't need an apostrophe for a plural noun for goodness' sake. It's religions and reasons.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You didn't put Jediism...
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Buddhism because it feel less religious-y.
    (Don't know much about Taoism, Bahá'í, Sikhism, Taoism, Jainism, Confucianism, Shinto, Zoroastrianism so didn't pick them.)

<3 x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    What is your definition of 'religion' then? How is Scientology not a religion? I don't see how it's any less of a religion than Buddhism is.

On that note, my Mum refuses to see Buddhism as a religion, so perhaps you share her view.
    The reason I feel Scientology is not a religion is that it is much a cult. It is much smaller than any religion, it has the authoritarian figurehead, indoctrinates its members, operates like a business and much more like a cult than a religion.

Before you say that these points apply to any other religion, it's the actions of people taking things too far which cause these in other religions and not the teachings themselves, unlike Scientology. Although the line between religion and cult is very blurred, and half of the problem is trying to pigeonhole what a religion and cult are.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Buddhism.

I can't understand anybody would want to follow a homophobic and intolerant religion like Christianity or Islam...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I must be the only one who thinks this thread is retarded beyond belief?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Christianity since they seem to care least about how religious you actually are.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CitizensUnited)
    The reason I feel Scientology is not a religion is that it is much a cult. It is much smaller than any religion, it has the authoritarian figurehead, indoctrinates its members, operates like a business and much more like a cult than a religion.

Before you say that these points apply to any other religion, it's the actions of people taking things too far which cause these in other religions and not the teachings themselves, unlike Scientology. Although the line between religion and cult is very blurred, and half of the problem is trying to pigeonhole what a religion and cult are.
    What's the difference between a cult and a religion? About 10 million members.

I'd say that Catholicism runs to your definition closely enough, except the size. For that reason, I don't really want to call Catholicism a religion and Scientology a cult, because that gives major religions credibility over minor religions. Which hardly seems fair. It trains people to react badly to any individuals deciding to think for themselves and vocalise their own opinions, however unpopular.

Whatever the arguments about cult and religion are, it is actually the issue of equality that will make me try to grey out the definitions a bit more.. May not be relevant to how something should be defined by standards of correctness.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Out of the choices, Buddhism. But realistically, I'm open to considering Wicca.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin J)
    I must be the only one who thinks this thread is retarded beyond belief?
    Most likely. The OP raised an interesting point your petty mind failed to conjure.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahooper)
    Buddhism.

I can't understand anybody would want to follow a homophobic and intolerant religion like Christianity or Islam...
    It depends on which branch of Buddhism mind, as well as the actual follower. Although I'd agree it's easily the least homophobic "main" religion it's not necessarily fond of gay people.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Jainism.

Already a vegetarian. I could work on being a peaceful pacifist :teehee:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Buddhism, because its not really a religion by any orthodox standards.

It teaches self improvement and self discipline, as opposed to belief in any particular god.

Zen Buddhism in particular states there is no point in dwelling on the existence of a god or gods, and focuses almost solely on meditation for furthering understanding and the self. No hocus pocus. No wild unprovable claims. Just sitting and living in the moment.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zangoose)
    Most likely. The OP raised an interesting point your petty mind failed to conjure.
    poor troll attempt, raise your game.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    poor troll attempt, raise your game.
    I wasn't trolling. You asked if you were the only one who found this thread retarded and I responded accordingly.

If you find it retarded, you should probably refrain from posting here and crawl back into your cave... Vile urchin.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Christianity because it's the UK religion and people would probably warm to me more than for me to say I was a "Zoroastrianist"...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zangoose)
    I wasn't trolling. You asked if you were the only one who found this thread retarded and I responded accordingly.

If you find it retarded, you should probably refrain from posting here and crawl back into your cave... Vile urchin.
    i've only got to look at your last 10 posts to know what you're about.

come on son, raise that troll game up - slacking.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i've only got to look at your last 10 posts to know what you're about.

come on son, raise that troll game up - slacking.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I chose to follow Zoro.. long live Zoro!!!!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 14, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.