The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Forget that
What? How can you base someone's intelligence by the 'genre' of music they listen too? Where is the logic in that?
I listen to every genre of music but my favorites are rap and R&B how does that make make me less intelligent just because i don't bang out One Direction every day? :colonhash:

It makes you less intelligent because the music is less intelligent. The lyrics... the subject matter... the actual musicality. There really is a reason that chavs listen to dance/ RnB; whilst, conversely, studies have shown that the most intelligent people often listen to metal and/ or classical.

How about nice diverse 42-minute prog epic by Dream Theater, or a deeply-moving 30-minute adagio by Gustav Mahler? Most people would get bored of both of these very quickly because they don't have the mental capacity to appreciate it; yet in reality it's some of the most insightful, talented, multi-faceted and relevant music out there. It deals with real emotions and philosophies; not the kind of stuff you find in RnB, like "Dat girl so hot man". Good music is intelligent, in many different ways, and is therefore the polar opposite to Chris Brown (or indeed Rihanna).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Wilfred Little
I'm not trying to sound uninformed on purpose but I actually don't pay attention to Rihanna or Chris Brown so I have no idea what happened other than he's meant to have hit her.

Well he kept hitting her until she looked like this:

022411-rihanna-battered-tmz.jpg
Reply 62
I'm not trying to sound uninformed on purpose but I actually don't pay attention to Rihanna or Chris Brown so I have no idea what happened other than he's meant to have hit her.

Try reading the first post?!
Original post by i.am.lost
Well he kept hitting her until she looked like this:

022411-rihanna-battered-tmz.jpg

Have you got a pic from after he beat her up?
Reply 64
Original post by Hermóðr
He should be in prison, but then again money talks.

The media pushes these talentless, morally bankrupt "rappers" and "R'n'B singers" in our faces non-stop, so I don't blame girls who find him attractive. They've been conditioned to do so.

Hey moral bankruptcy and being gentlemanly is possible.
Reply 65
Original post by mc1000
It makes you less intelligent because the music is less intelligent. The lyrics... the subject matter... the actual musicality. There really is a reason that chavs listen to dance/ RnB; whilst, conversely, studies have shown that the most intelligent people often listen to metal and/ or classical.

How about nice diverse 42-minute prog epic by Dream Theater, or a deeply-moving 30-minute adagio by Gustav Mahler? Most people would get bored of both of these very quickly because they don't have the mental capacity to appreciate it; yet in reality it's some of the most insightful, talented, multi-faceted and relevant music out there. It deals with real emotions and philosophies; not the kind of stuff you find in RnB, like "Dat girl so hot man". Good music is intelligent, in many different ways, and is therefore the polar opposite to Chris Brown (or indeed Rihanna).

The epitome of stupidity has been translated into a song, the song is named "stupid hoe" by a certain I forgot her name...
Reply 66
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Why do people have a problem with people listening to a women beater? Like what goes through your head? Oh he's a women-beater thus now to my ears he sounds awful and I shouldn't listen to him?

Do you guys realize John ****ing Lenon was a women beater also? Doesn't stop most of you guys adoring his music. Hypocrites.

Not everyone likes the Beatles. So leave me out of your hypocrite accusations please.
Original post by mc1000

I agree with you in parts but most of that post was baseless generalisation. I enjoy some R'n'B, most of what I listen to is Hip-Hop and there are some real thinkers and innovators in Hip-Hop.

The reason chavs listen to what they listen to is because they aren't intelligent enough, for the most part, to look for their own music, the music itself does not make them stupid; they already are. Chavs are followers, not leaders. People who are intelligent listen to what they listen to in spite of their intelligence, not because of it, there are intelligent people who listen to Dance and R'n'B for example. Intelligent people think for themselves, so they don't need their opinion or taste in music validated by those around them or the TV or whatever.

Artsy-fartsy student music types who think they are some cultured music moguls really do my tits in. This does not apply to you specifically but if you think there is no intelligence in Hip-Hop or that people who listen to it aren't intelligent, this does apply to you.

Saying that, I've never met an intelligent person who listens to Rihanna.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by redferry
Not everyone likes the Beatles. So leave me out of your hypocrite accusations please.

99% of TSRians do.
I'm a pretty huge fan of Chris, and I do understand why everyone hates him.

I find him attractive. His looks have nothing to do with the incident.
I enjoy his music. His music hasn't changed he would still make the same kinda songs anyway.
I don't know him as a person. I don't look up to him, he isn't an inspiration to me. And to be honest, sometimes when he does interviews, it does annoy me because he tends to be very repetitive and has a rather small range of vocabulary "naw wa I'm sayin"?

The fact that he has a criminal record or whatever happened between him and that girl really doesn't have anything to do with me. Yes its wrong, yes he shouldn't have done that. But I didn't like him before for being a "perfect gentleman" anyway. I like his looks, I like his songs, his dance etc. All his other personal life stuff, that's his business.

(It's a matter of opinion, for those of you who agree or disagree.)
Reply 70
Original post by mc1000

I have to say I wouldn't enjoy either of those things as I don't enjoy music that basically amounts to people showing off how good they are on their instruments at the expense of structure and lyrics. Prog and Jazz are definitely the genres most likely to fall foul of this. And that has nothing to do with intellect.

Why does music need to be intelligent though really? Why can't it just be good fun? My first single was mmmbob by Hanson, far from musical genius but I still enjoy it today. It is a matter of what you personally want from music, not intellect.
Original post by babygirl110
Two reasons...

Girls who listen to a particular genre of music generally come across as not being the brightest- so I guess yes, the are stupid

He's supposedly physically attracted.

Two things:
*Attractive (So I'm not sure on how bright you actually are)

Also, don't generalise on what you see, if you like RnB or Hip Hop, it's a matter of personal taste, personal preference, what you feel like listening to etc. It has nothing to do with the level of intelligence you are thought to have.
Reply 72
Original post by stargirl63
I'm a pretty huge fan of Chris, and I do understand why everyone hates him.

I find him attractive. His looks have nothing to do with the incident.
I enjoy his music. His music hasn't changed he would still make the same kinda songs anyway.
I don't know him as a person. I don't look up to him, he isn't an inspiration to me. And to be honest, sometimes when he does interviews, it does annoy me because he tends to be very repetitive and has a rather small range of vocabulary "naw wa I'm sayin"?

The fact that he has a criminal record or whatever happened between him and that girl really doesn't have anything to do with me. Yes its wrong, yes he shouldn't have done that. But I didn't like him before for being a "perfect gentleman" anyway. I like his looks, I like his songs, his dance etc. All his other personal life stuff, that's his business.

(It's a matter of opinion, for those of you who agree or disagree.)

Rather a lot of people's attraction to someone is based on more than someone's facial/body structure/colouring/hairstyle. Perceived personality/behaviour is very much a factor in attraction.
Reply 73
I agree with you in parts but most of that post was baseless generalisation. I enjoy some R'n'B, most of what I listen to is Hip-Hop and there are some real thinkers and innovators in Hip-Hop.

The reason chavs listen to what they listen to is because they aren't intelligent enough, for the most part, to look for their own music, the music itself does not make them stupid; they already are. Chavs are followers, not leaders. People who are intelligent listen to what they listen to in spite of their intelligence, not because of it, there are intelligent people who listen to Dance and R'n'B for example. Intelligent people think for themselves, so they don't need their opinion or taste in music validated by those around them or the TV or whatever.

Artsy-fartsy student music types who think they are some cultured music moguls really do my tits in. This does not apply to you specifically but if you think there is no intelligence in Hip-Hop or that people who listen to it aren't intelligent, this does apply to you.

Saying that, I've never met an intelligent person who listens to Rihanna.

Yeah I'm aware it's a generalisation, but that was kind of the point. It's a generalisation because it's generally true.

Without knowing all that much about hip-hop in the grand scheme of things, I'll take your word for it that there is some intelligent hip-hop out there. My post was intended to be taken with a pinch of salt; you might say that I was trolling to an extent. That's not to say I've ever heard any intelligent hip-hop, though, and I've heard plenty of popular hip-hop. I think this is probably reflective of the majority of hip-hop fans, the people through whom popular (thick) hip-hop actually becomes popular in the first place. With this logic, the average intelligence of a hip-hop fan is lower than that of, say, a fan of late romantic classical music, who has the intelligence to notice the beautiful harmonies and melodic sophistication of something by Mahler or Dvorak. And for this reason, a hip-hop fan is statistically far more likely than the late-romantic classical music fan to have a below-average IQ - although I do admit that there is a social factor in this as well.

Also, not meaning to be arrogant, but I actually am a cultured music mogul. :P
Reply 74
Sex sells.
Original post by mc1000
Yeah I'm aware it's a generalisation, but that was kind of the point. It's a generalisation because it's generally true.

Without knowing all that much about hip-hop in the grand scheme of things, I'll take your word for it that there is some intelligent hip-hop out there. My post was intended to be taken with a pinch of salt; you might say that I was trolling to an extent. That's not to say I've ever heard any intelligent hip-hop, though, and I've heard plenty of popular hip-hop. I think this is probably reflective of the majority of hip-hop fans, the people through whom popular (thick) hip-hop actually becomes popular in the first place. With this logic, the average intelligence of a hip-hop fan is lower than that of, say, a fan of late romantic classical music, who has the intelligence to notice the beautiful harmonies and melodic sophistication of something by Mahler or Dvorak. And for this reason, a hip-hop fan is statistically far more likely than the late-romantic classical music fan to have a below-average IQ - although I do admit that there is a social factor in this as well.

Also, not meaning to be arrogant, but I actually am a cultured music mogul. :P

No probs, like I say I did agree in parts. I didn't pick up the trolling. I got trolled. :redface:

Popular Hip-Hop is garbage though if you're referring to the likes of Jay-Z, Eminem etc...
Because he's a famous musician duh!

MOST people, not just women, are attracted to wealth and status.

Example: Just look at Lemmy from Motorhead. He's not what most women would consider physically attractive but he still gets laid like crazy.
what i don't understand is why Rihanna is collaborating with him! ok, she may have forgiven him.. that's her mistake... but it's an AWFUL message to be sending out to both women, children and men alike!
Because he's a "bad boy". And he is fairly attractive i guess.

I'd love to knock **** out of him though, the smug abusive ****.
Reply 79
I actually feel really sorry for him. I do agree that he has anger issues and I do not agree with what he did to Rihanna, but I think his anger issues stem from he and his mother being victims of domestic violence. They say bullies have been bullied before. I think he needs to get some help for his anger issues.