The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by deadpinkfluffycat
kfjhdlshdgkjh
I think I've said before - what she did there? Calling her [insert relation here] actually provoked him all the more - and it was meant to. To be very honest, I lost about half of my pity and sympathy for her after I read that. Yes, he might have been going to beat her up otherwise, but like the fact that she couldn't help pretending to call [whoever it was], I can't help but lose a bit of my sympathy for her.
Had she not done that, I probably would have been opposing my own words, but it's just something I can't stand. I had a very good analogy comparing her and asian parents earlier, but I forgot it.

she tried to make a phone call AFTER he told her he was gonna be beat her again at home so the smart thing to do is to try and call someone for help. she probably thought by doing that Chris would scared into not further more beating the **** out of her.

if you were in this position you would have just sat your dumbass in the car waiting to get home and get beat more.
Reply 101
Original post by babygirl110
Two reasons...

Girls who listen to a particular genre of music generally come across as not being the brightest- so I guess yes, the are stupid

He's supposedly physically attracted.

Agreed.
Original post by Stratos
I must be the 1% then. :holmes:

:five:
Reply 103
Original post by Dary
He could have killed her. He was pounding her in the head. He is long past "anger issues". Save your sympathy for his victims. I am sure she wasnt the first.

I'm still going to be sympathetic towards him because of his bad background. I have a lot of sympathy to give so I won't save it just for his victims. I still think he should be helped as well. He does have a problem, doesn't he? I know of many people from really bad backgrounds who have just ended up in prison because of their bad backgrounds. If they had been helped then they'd have probably not committed the crime. Again, I'm not saying what he did was right. If he had a nicer childhood, do you think he'd be as violent as he is today?
Original post by mc1000
A very offensive thing to say to a Dream Theater fan! :tongue:

Seriously, though, these certainly both have structure, and they don't amount to people showing off how good they are.

I see your Dream Theater prog epic, and raise you one Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

Greatest prog song in history.
Reply 105
Original post by Sem193
I'm still going to be sympathetic towards him because of his bad background. I have a lot of sympathy to give so I won't save it just for his victims. I still think he should be helped as well. He does have a problem, doesn't he? I know of many people from really bad backgrounds who have just ended up in prison because of their bad backgrounds. If they had been helped then they'd have probably not committed the crime. Again, I'm not saying what he did was right. If he had a nicer childhood, do you think he'd be as violent as he is today?

Many people have difficult upbringings - very difficult upbringings - but it is not an excuse to bash someone to pulp. A kinder gentler world is definitely called for, but making excuses for someones sadistic thuggery is not going to get us any closer to this goal..

You need to deal with reality and take care of those who are a danger to others. The world and its vulnerable citizens should not be expected to be uses as his therapy mat. What about the kids he has that will tick him off? Should we be awash in tears for him when he injures them due to his "anger issues"? Kind of like "kill the victim - cure the thug" mentatlity. How far do you take this?
Reply 106
Original post by Aisha~~
I see your Dream Theater prog epic, and raise you one Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

Greatest prog song in history.

Wrong. :tongue:

Greatest prog song in history:

Original post by stargirl63
Two things:
*Attractive (So I'm not sure on how bright you actually are)

Also, don't generalise on what you see, if you like RnB or Hip Hop, it's a matter of personal taste, personal preference, what you feel like listening to etc. It has nothing to do with the level of intelligence you are thought to have.

It was a mistake, I was using my iphone and didn't notice that it automatically predicted 'attracted' instead of 'attractive'. How predicted text works is that it takes the very first word in the alphabet order, unless you tell it not to. I was tapping fast and generally don't look at my phone when I'm texting. I think it's a very obvious typo, no one can be that stupid :rolleyes:.

I've already responded regarding this issue, see below:

I didn't name a specific genre but it's interesting that you mention Rap and RnB :smile:.

I bet if we took samples and compared the intellignce of individuals who listen to rnb to those who prefer classical music, we'd get some insightful results. Actually, it would be interesting to compare all genres.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 108
Original post by Dary
Many people have difficult upbringings - very difficult upbringings - but it is not an excuse to bash someone to pulp. A kinder gentler world is definitely called for, but making excuses for someones sadistic thuggery is not going to get us any closer to this goal..

You need to deal with reality and take care of those who are a danger to others. The world and its vulnerable citizens should not be expected to be uses as his therapy mat. What about the kids he has that will tick him off? Should we be awash in tears for him when he injures them due to his "anger issues"? Kind of like "kill the victim - cure the thug" mentatlity. How far do you take this?

I didn't say it was an excuse to bash someone to a pulp did I? I'm saying that is part of the reason why he may have done it and that he needs help because his bad childhood may have a detrimental effect on him. I do believe a kinder, gentler world could be achieved if we rehabilitated those who commit crimes and who are violent etc. We just throw them in prison which may actually make them become worse and when they get out then they'll probably recommit the same crime. If you don't get to the core of why they committed the crime and help them, do you think they'll really change?

If we help him now, then he may be a better man when he has children. The hate he's getting now will probably make him angrier. By the way, I'm not crying for him. If I find out that he hurts someone else then I'd be less sorry for him and I'd probably think that he cannot be rehabilitated, but I'd still have a bit of sympathy for him because of his background. He hasn't killed anyone and what's wrong with curing a thug? Don't you want there to be less crime in today's society? If thugs are cured then will they commit crimes?
Original post by mc1000
Wrong. :tongue:

Greatest prog song in history:

Released March 29, 1999
Rating 4.22 from 4056 ratings
Ranked #1 for 1999 , #1 overall

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/godspeed_you__black_emperor/slow_riot_for_new_zero_kanada/

The numbers speak for themselves. That Transatlantic artwork is...slightly freaky though. Looks like 80s CGI.
(edited 12 years ago)
I didn't name a specific genre but it's interesting that you mention Rap and RnB :smile:.

I bet if we took samples and compared the intellignce of individuals who listen to rnb to those who prefer classical music, we'd get some insightful results. Actually, it would be interesting to compare all genres.

No no no there will be no correlation, none at all.
How can you say that someone who listens to classical will not listen to anything else? I love the opera, i really do. But i also love listening to other things as well.
I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who feel the same.
Are you saying people who listen to classic fm will never go clubbing in their lives?
Hmmm...I've come to realise that if half these people like Chris Brown weren't famous we wouldn't think they're hot. It's kinda weird.

And is he really that violent, can't imagine it :-S
Original post by mc1000
It makes you less intelligent because the music is less intelligent. The lyrics... the subject matter... the actual musicality. There really is a reason that chavs listen to dance/ RnB; whilst, conversely, studies have shown that the most intelligent people often listen to metal and/ or classical.

How about nice diverse 42-minute prog epic by Dream Theater, or a deeply-moving 30-minute adagio by Gustav Mahler? Most people would get bored of both of these very quickly because they don't have the mental capacity to appreciate it; yet in reality it's some of the most insightful, talented, multi-faceted and relevant music out there. It deals with real emotions and philosophies; not the kind of stuff you find in RnB, like "Dat girl so hot man". Good music is intelligent, in many different ways, and is therefore the polar opposite to Chris Brown (or indeed Rihanna).

No no no no, you make some decent points with 'limited attention span' but really i refuse to acknowledge the genre of music you listen to automatically determines how clever you are. In terms of POP (and R&B, both have basically become the same thing) they can certainly be described as having a negative affect on music as a whole, but of course people (mainly 13 year girls) want to dance to it, and no, not everyone who likes to dance is a 'chav' :rolleyes:

Also, i would just like to be controversial and say Rap is very intelligent. Not all rappers talk about drugs and cars, if you actually listen to lyrics you will be amazed at the double meanings, the extended metaphors and wordplay they use to... well.. destroy each other on tracks (which is what rap fundamentally is) As a potential English student i find it useful to listen to- helps to find conceits in poems. Anyway, each to their own
Reply 113
Original post by Forget that
No no no no, you make some decent points with 'limited attention span' but really i refuse to acknowledge the genre of music you listen to automatically determines how clever you are. In terms of POP (and R&B, both have basically become the same thing) they can certainly be described as having a negative affect on music as a whole, but of course people (mainly 13 year girls) want to dance to it, and no, not everyone who likes to dance is a 'chav' :rolleyes:

Also, i would just like to be controversial and say Rap is very intelligent. Not all rappers talk about drugs and cars, if you actually listen to lyrics you will be amazed at the double meanings, the extended metaphors and wordplay they use to... well.. destroy each other on tracks (which is what rap fundamentally is) As a potential English student i find it useful to listen to- helps to find conceits in poems. Anyway, each to their own

I agree it doesn't automatically determine intelligence; that would just be moronic to actually genuinely believe that. I'd have assumed that more people would have noticed my trolling...

That said, there is certainly a correlation in intelligence depending upon taste in music. No doubt about that. Copied and pasted from page 4:

Originally Posted by Wilfred Little
I agree with you in parts but most of that post was baseless generalisation. I enjoy some R'n'B, most of what I listen to is Hip-Hop and there are some real thinkers and innovators in Hip-Hop.

The reason chavs listen to what they listen to is because they aren't intelligent enough, for the most part, to look for their own music, the music itself does not make them stupid; they already are. Chavs are followers, not leaders. People who are intelligent listen to what they listen to in spite of their intelligence, not because of it, there are intelligent people who listen to Dance and R'n'B for example. Intelligent people think for themselves, so they don't need their opinion or taste in music validated by those around them or the TV or whatever.

Artsy-fartsy student music types who think they are some cultured music moguls really do my tits in. This does not apply to you specifically but if you think there is no intelligence in Hip-Hop or that people who listen to it aren't intelligent, this does apply to you.

Saying that, I've never met an intelligent person who listens to Rihanna.

Yeah I'm aware it's a generalisation, but that was kind of the point. It's a generalisation because it's generally true.

Without knowing all that much about hip-hop in the grand scheme of things, I'll take your word for it that there is some intelligent hip-hop out there. My post was intended to be taken with a pinch of salt; you might say that I was trolling to an extent. That's not to say I've ever heard any intelligent hip-hop, though, and I've heard plenty of popular hip-hop. I think this is probably reflective of the majority of hip-hop fans, the people through whom popular (thick) hip-hop actually becomes popular in the first place. With this logic, the average intelligence of a hip-hop fan is lower than that of, say, a fan of late romantic classical music, who has the intelligence to notice the beautiful harmonies and melodic sophistication of something by Mahler or Dvorak. And for this reason, a hip-hop fan is statistically far more likely than the late-romantic classical music fan to have a below-average IQ - although I do admit that there is a social factor in this as well.

Also, not meaning to be arrogant, but I actually am a cultured music mogul. :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mc1000
Copied and pasted from page 4:

Okay, that is your opinion, but really? Never met an intelligent person who listens to Rihanna? Just a slight exaggeration perhaps from your part.
Some of her sad songs are actually quite nice, like 'cry' and 'photographs'.

But everyone has their own preferences, I feel the same about Cher Lloyds, One Directioners and Belibers.
Reply 115
Original post by Forget that
Okay, that is your opinion, but really? Never met an intelligent person who listens to Rihanna? Just a slight exaggeration perhaps from your part.

That wasn't me :P. Was the person who quoted me. Below that is my response...
Original post by mc1000
That wasn't me :P. Was the person who quoted me. Below that is my response...

I'm sorry, I'm not going to lie sometimes I go on tsr when my brain isn't working at its highest capability :colondollar: - you know, a good break in between essays?
Sorry for wasting your time :biggrin:
It was a mistake, I was using my iphone and didn't notice that it automatically predicted 'attracted' instead of 'attractive'. How predicted text works is that it takes the very first word in the alphabet order, unless you tell it not to. I was tapping fast and generally don't look at my phone when I'm texting. I think it's a very obvious typo, no one can be that stupid :rolleyes:.

I've already responded regarding this issue, see below:

I feel that those who do listen to classical music are deemed to be more intelligent because that is the stereotype which is attached to it. Also, to be honest, if you do revise quite a lot, classical music would be pretty soothing to listen to. It's the same way as those who listen to rap music have a stereotype that they smoke weed, or that they are probably chavs. I don't really know. And what about those who listen to all types of music, from rock, to rap, to classical? When people say that there are certain types of people who listen to different genres, I feel that is pretty stereotypical. To be honest, I think the music issue has a whole lot more substance that simply "because you are this clever" because it involves the music your parents listen to, what you have grown up with etc.

Quite a few people from this thread actually seem to be stating "what do they know if they listen to RnB, look at the kind of people who listen to these songs" such as Chris Brown. Demeaning our opinions because of what's on our ipod.
Like with many celebrities, they don't know him as a person. Sure, a lot of people including myself are appalled by what he did to Rihanna, however, they listen to him because they like his voice. It's like people asking why Simon Cowell is so popular when his put-downs often offend viewers and contestants, yet they like him because of how he does his job of finding a talent to put into the music industry as he is a major power in music.
Reply 119
Original post by deadpinkfluffycat
Envious, maybe. Jealous, no.
No matter how difficult this may be to comprehend, I was neutral - and I'm really not going to pick a side- no matter how hard she was beaten up, or if Chris Brown murdered nine people.
Thing is, I like arguing for the side less people support, which is where you get this.

I do have a question though. What was she doing, reading Chris Brown's messages? Yes, this is minor, compared to what Chris Brown did. But I never said that Chris Brown was right (although my first post might have been interpreted that way).
Maybe she couldn't have helped it. Maybe Chris Brown did something bad/said something earlier that might have made her curious and scared and frustrated. But if you want to look at it in terms of right and wrong, they were both wrong - Chris Brown much more so than Rihanna, definitely - but essentially both had problems and Rihanna's just really unfortunate.
However, if you want to regard it emotionally, well, I can't elaborate without sounding even more as if I'm supporting Chris Brown, which I doubt you guys want to hear, even though technically it won't be.

I'm saying this here: I really want to retire from this thread. Anyone who has problems with my argument, please PM me.

I really think you should be hit.

Latest