The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Rihanna probably asked for it to be honest
Reply 121
Original post by Sem193
I didn't say it was an excuse to bash someone to a pulp did I? I'm saying that is part of the reason why he may have done it and that he needs help because his bad childhood may have a detrimental effect on him. I do believe a kinder, gentler world could be achieved if we rehabilitated those who commit crimes and who are violent etc. We just throw them in prison which may actually make them become worse and when they get out then they'll probably recommit the same crime. If you don't get to the core of why they committed the crime and help them, do you think they'll really change?

If we help him now, then he may be a better man when he has children. The hate he's getting now will probably make him angrier. By the way, I'm not crying for him. If I find out that he hurts someone else then I'd be less sorry for him and I'd probably think that he cannot be rehabilitated, but I'd still have a bit of sympathy for him because of his background. He hasn't killed anyone and what's wrong with curing a thug? Don't you want there to be less crime in today's society? If thugs are cured then will they commit crimes?

Violent criminals have a high recidivation rate - they dont look for a cure but for a harm reduction. He did not have a quick anger outburst - his outburst was sadistically sustained and prolonged and then she was dumped with no medical help as he took off.

And yes, he (and those like him) need to know that people are disgusted by his behaviour and that society looks down on those that hurt others - that will get through to him a lot more effectively than lets turn our head and walk on egg shells in case he gets angry again (??). His victim is still mentally tortured by "the incident" (as he so casually refers to it) and will probably never be "cured". Wish you had one tenth the empathy you have for him for his victim.
(edited 12 years ago)
Maybe because people actually like his voice. :rolleyes:

And somehow I'm guessing if she'd instead done the exact same thing to Chris Brown people still wouldn't be this mad, but hey what can I say? That's double standards for ya. :sigh:

And to mc100, if you're stupid and ignorant enough to believe that the type of music you enjoy determines your intelligence, then it's no surprise you assume there are no intelligent innovators in the hip hop industry, and yet you yourself claim to be ignorant about it. :rolleyes:
If you're ignorant about something don't open your dirty gob to talk about it.
I doubt this is even true, this was definatley a set up - to show chris brown who's really in charge :ninja: (anyone know what I'm talking about?)

A few of my friends are obsessed with him, It's freacking annoying - he's good looking and he has a good body - big deal! :rolleyes:
Original post by keepinorder
Rihanna probably asked for it to be honest

Nobody 'ASKED FOR ANYTHING!'
No excuse for what he did, but people need to move on FFS!
Original post by Jessica_94
hes a ****, but hes hot

- calm down on the dislikes, just an opinion..

so it's okay for "hot" people to beat their partners? gold, pure gold.
Reply 126
because he has money
Reply 127
Original post by Ice Constricter
Maybe because people actually like his voice. :rolleyes:

And somehow I'm guessing if she'd instead done the exact same thing to Chris Brown people still wouldn't be this mad, but hey what can I say? That's double standards for ya. :sigh:

And to mc100, if you're stupid and ignorant enough to believe that the type of music you enjoy determines your intelligence, then it's no surprise you assume there are no intelligent innovators in the hip hop industry, and yet you yourself claim to be ignorant about it. :rolleyes:
If you're ignorant about something don't open your dirty gob to talk about it.

:facepalm:

Double standards? That's the kind of excuses domestic abusers give fs.

And tbh Chris Brown isn't really hip-hop
Original post by Sem193
I didn't say it was an excuse to bash someone to a pulp did I? I'm saying that is part of the reason why he may have done it and that he needs help because his bad childhood may have a detrimental effect on him. I do believe a kinder, gentler world could be achieved if we rehabilitated those who commit crimes and who are violent etc. We just throw them in prison which may actually make them become worse and when they get out then they'll probably recommit the same crime. If you don't get to the core of why they committed the crime and help them, do you think they'll really change?

If we help him now, then he may be a better man when he has children. The hate he's getting now will probably make him angrier. By the way, I'm not crying for him. If I find out that he hurts someone else then I'd be less sorry for him and I'd probably think that he cannot be rehabilitated, but I'd still have a bit of sympathy for him because of his background. He hasn't killed anyone and what's wrong with curing a thug? Don't you want there to be less crime in today's society? If thugs are cured then will they commit crimes?

As a strong advocate of the rehabilitative approach to crime reduction I can tell you that you are correct, poor up-bringing may have had an impact, but he would have still known what he was doing was wrong, and still deserves the severe opprobrium that beating your partner in an abusive relationship attracts.

He has every opportunity now to attempt to address his anger issues and try to become a better person, but he should not escape the consequences of his actions that other people in society do.

Say for example you were a teacher, a politician, a policeman, a lawyer or any other normalish professional job, such a criminal conviction would have severe consequences on your professional life, which is a strong aspect of the punitive and retributive aspects of criminal justice.

However as he is a pretty boy singer he was mostly avoided that impact as people have short memories in the face of "celebrity". People can respect cheating wife-beating thuggish footballers/musicians for some reason. That is what I disagree with. I feel he should lose some of the fruits of his capitalist inspired gains because of his misdeeds. A businessman would find people less willing to do business with him because of this, a politician, lawyer, policeman or teacher would be ruined.

Yes he deserves rehabilitation, but he does not deserve to get off scott-free to return to his pre-crime riches and position.
Nobody 'ASKED FOR ANYTHING!'
No excuse for what he did, but people need to move on FFS!

i think it's so funny how people look into things so deeply, i wrote that comment mainly because i don't like her and because i am so bored, but too actually look at what others have written and get annoyed, nope not for me lol. And yes, because she must have done something for him to even consider beating her up like that.
Original post by kingme
:facepalm:

Double standards? That's the kind of excuses domestic abusers give fs.

And tbh Chris Brown isn't really hip-hop

There's no excuse for what he did, I actually said that in another post, but I was just putting out the fact that double standards like this exist. But now in hindsight, I realise that has no relevance to what he did to Rihanna, it should of been a seperate point. I agree with everyone that what he did was atrocious.

Also I didn't say chris brown was hip hop, I was referencing another guy that said there are no intelligent people in the hip hop/R&B industry.

Yes I know chris is more R&B.
Reply 131
There's no excuse for what he did, I actually said that in another post, but I was just putting out the fact that double standards like this exist. But now in hindsight, I realise that has no relevance to what he did to Rihanna, it should of been a seperate point. I agree with everyone that what he did was atrocious.

Also I didn't say chris brown was hip hop, I was referencing another guy that said there are no intelligent people in the hip hop/R&B industry.

Yes I know chris is more R&B.

in the case of domestic abuse, the 'double standard' is certainly justified.

And tbh he is more bawz.
Original post by babygirl110
Two reasons...

Girls who listen to a particular genre of music generally come across as not being the brightest- so I guess yes, the are stupid

He's supposedly physically attractive.

How does intelligence correlate with the music genre you prefer to listen to?

That is the most moronic statement I have ever seen in my entire life.
Original post by keepinorder
i think it's so funny how people look into things so deeply, i wrote that comment mainly because i don't like her and because i am so bored, but too actually look at what others have written and get annoyed, nope not for me lol. And yes, because she must have done something for him to even consider beating her up like that.

BOLD: No **** sherlock! Of course she done something that made him (at least in his eyes) feel the need to use her as a human punching bag. Obviously he didn't just come and beat the crap outta for no reason lol. What I'm getting at is that there was no valid reason for him doing what he did (unless she tried to kill him or anything amongst those lines) so saying things like 'she asked for it' is heartless and disgusting.

How'd you like it if someone just out of the blue, came up to you and beat you to a battered pulp. Then some uninformed moron went up to you saying, "yeah you were probably asking for it, I mean there's no way someone would do that to you for no reason".

Think about it.
Original post by kingme
in the case of domestic abuse, the 'double standard' is certainly justified.

And tbh he is more bawz.

Justified how, because there are more instances of men abusing women?
Rihanna is going out with him again....no idea why
Reply 136
Justified how, because there are more instances of men abusing women?

Justified in that men are generally bigger and stronger and more violent.
Original post by babygirl110
I didn't name a specific genre but it's interesting that you mention Rap and RnB :smile:.

I bet if we took samples and compared the intellignce of individuals who listen to rnb to those who prefer classical music, we'd get some insightful results. Actually, it would be interesting to compare all genres.

Are you suggesting that those who listen to RnB music are generally less intelligent than those who listen to Classical Music?

HAHA.

Let me show you a real example (Not lying): I have a close friend whose favourite artists are Trey Songz, RKelly and Mary J Blidge so I think that it is safe to say that her favourite genre of music is RnB. This same girl achieved 11A*s and 1A in her GCSEs and is currently awaiting her AS results in March although she probably got all As anyway. She was also a member of Mensa at a young age too.

Then there is this other guy in the year below that I don't know too well but everyone knows him as the 'Classical Music Freak'. He knows practically all of the composers that exist and he seems to really love classical music. According to my friends in his classes, he usually performs badly in exams and doesn't appear as a very bright individual regardless of his examinations performance.

My point is that it is absolutely insanely ludicrous to judge someone's intelligence based on their music taste. I mean HONESTLY.
(edited 12 years ago)
BOLD: No **** sherlock! Of course she done something that made him (at least in his eyes) feel the need to use her as a human punching bag. Obviously he didn't just come and beat the crap outta for no reason lol. What I'm getting at is that there was no valid reason for him doing what he did (unless she tried to kill him or anything amongst those lines) so saying things like 'she asked for it' is heartless and disgusting.

How'd you like it if someone just out of the blue, came up to you and beat you to a battered pulp. Then some uninformed moron went up to you saying, "yeah you were probably asking for it, I mean there's no way someone would do that to you for no reason".

Think about it.

cba with you lol. I don't care about whether it's heartless. I don't like her, my opinion. Now please stop commenting, i'm sure she doesn't need your backing up!! But yeh your very considerate, praise you on that, nice heart (btw im not being sarcsatic)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 139
Because lots of them aren't very aware of how to determine good characteristics in partners.

Latest