Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will the UK be too fat to fight future war?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    If a war broke out which required the kind of drafted manpower seen in WWII. How would our population fare? With a quarter of adults obese and rising how could we possibly sustain or train an operationally effective army of the type that could wage war on a large scale?

The costs involved of simply forcing people into shape and dealing with all of the associated health issues would be enormous... like most of the population.

Is obesity the key to peace? When we are all too fat to wage war will we realise that perhaps the ill health and inglory associated with being obese is preferable to the violence, glory and death we have associated with war?

Or will the minority of highly conditioned individuals with a military education simply take advantage of their huge advantages and conquer the debilitated populations of the Earth?

What do you think? (I am especially interested as to what the members of TSR's obese population think.)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If there was another world war, there wouldn't be enough food to keep people fat as the majority of the food is imported. In fact, starvation will be a prime concern.

Riddle me this, wouldn't then the soldiers be too malnourished to fight?
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    We'll save on body armour.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well I agree with Mr Quick, there will not be enough food, also if Scotland leaves it will just be England/Wales/N.Ireland, not much
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    We relied heavily on our empire in WW2, we're no longer a great power and would just assist America assuming we allied with them, we wouldnt play a major role therefore the outcome would be out of our hands whether we're fat or not.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nations have passed away and left no traces,
    And History gives the naked cause of it--
    One single, simple reason in all cases;
    They fell because their peoples were not fit. (Kipling)

However, we could use the fatties as a human shield for everyone else, so it's not all bad news.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    The robots will fights for us!!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Quick)
    If there was another world war, there wouldn't be enough food to keep people fat as the majority of the food is imported. In fact, starvation will be a prime concern.

What? :lolwut:

When an economy is geared completely for war the feeding of soldiers becomes its prime concern otherwise waging war becomes pointless.

Also there is a huge gap between obesity and having a population which could be drafted and trained as fighting soldiers in two months or so. Fatties would take a lot longer than that to even get to the basic foundational fitness enjoyed by those without an astronomical BMI.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinman1)
    We relied heavily on our empire in WW2, we're no longer a great power and would just assist America assuming we allied with them, we wouldnt play a major role therefore the outcome would be out of our hands whether we're fat or not.

If you look at smaller occupied countries during WWII you would realise that you are very wrong. They fought for their very survival. Does obesity leave people more inclined to just give up and comfort eat?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    fat stores can be used as energy supply
    and opposition bullets, rockets + grenades would simply bounce off the soldiers tubby bodies :ahee:

if anything i reckon this new breed of combatant would probably last longer in battle...... :holmes:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Quick)

no

(Original post by DSB)
    Well I agree with Mr Quick, there will not be enough food, also if Scotland leaves it will just be England/Wales/N.Ireland, not much
    yeah a war breaks out so the rest of Ireland stops sending you guys food for the sheer craic of it...

also, if Scotland leaves NI won't be far behind.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    There have been many who have tried and failed to get Britain into shape (Jamie Oliver for example). There is a hush hush conspiracy in the media where they tend to blame the victims of obesity and ignore big businesses whose job it is to keep us addicted to junk foods.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Land-based mammal)
    There have been many who have tried and failed to get Britain into shape (Jamie Oliver for example).
    is Jamie Oliver intending to provoke a war, do you think?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I walk around town, I seldom see people who are obese. Sure, some might be slightly fatter than normal, but nowhere near the amount the media keeps telling us.

So I would say no, the UK would not be too fat.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes, so long Mcdonals exist.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna_Karenina)
    If you look at smaller occupied countries during WWII you would realise that you are very wrong. They fought for their very survival. Does obesity leave people more inclined to just give up and comfort eat?
    And how many of those countries were islands? We're still in a great position strategically, and the majority of us arn't obese so we'd be fine defensively.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xæthon)
    Whenever I walk around town, I seldom see people who are obese. Sure, some might be slightly fatter than normal, but nowhere near the amount the media keeps telling us.

So I would say no, the UK would not be too fat.
    Lol you don't see them because they are at home watching Jeremy Kyle and eating or waiting for the not so obese one to deliver their fix of McDs or KFC or whatever junk it is that tickles their pickle the big give away is where you say, " I walk"
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna_Karenina)
    lmao, couldn't help but picture a fat guy hiding in the cupboard under the stairs and just stuffing his face with food while outside is a complete war zone.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    We seem to be forgetting that wars aren't fought with millions of conscripts any more.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubAtomic)
    Lol you don't see them because they are at home watching Jeremy Kyle and eating or waiting for the not so obese one to deliver their fix of McDs or KFC or whatever junk it is that tickles their pickle the big give away is where you say, " I walk"
    You know, that is a good point. Why would these people walk? It's obvious they'll much rather do what you say.

Well, on that note I do see a lot of able bodied people?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 27, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.