The Student Room Group

Can you love 2 people at once?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Pink Bullets
Loving someone is treating them badly? :curious:

The point being, if you actually loved either of the people you wouldn't love the other one too.
Yes you can, and no you can't to anything about your feelings.
No of course you can't.
Original post by Hypocrism
The point being, if you actually loved either of the people you wouldn't love the other one too.

What biologically prevents a person from loving more than one person?
Reply 24
What biologically prevents a person from loving more than one person?

If we define love as having endocrine releases of endorphins (I don't know the specifics-perhaps oxytocin is involved) for a single other person at any one period of time, then it's tautology. Perhaps people can have endocrine responses mimicking "love" for multiple people, but it's not "love" until it's become exclusive.
Original post by Hypocrism
If we define love as having endocrine releases of endorphins (I don't know the specifics-perhaps oxytocin is involved) for a single other person at any one period of time, then it's tautology. Perhaps people can have endocrine responses mimicking "love" for multiple people, but it's not "love" until it's become exclusive.

So the definition of "love" that you set forth in the beginning of your post is not actually what love is?

You just completely contradicted yourself in the space of three lines. Maybe you should work on that definition a bit more...
Reply 26
So the definition of "love" that you set forth in the beginning of your post is not actually what love is?

You just completely contradicted yourself in the space of three lines. Maybe you should work on that definition a bit more...

Absolute rubbish, there's no contradiction. "mimicking" love is not love.
Yes you can... it's called a threesome :teehee:

No you can't really, if you love one of them then the other is going to feel jealous, and then when you love that person, the other will get jealous and upset, etc :rolleyes:
My friend's mum says that if you love someone then fall in love with someone else you should always go for the second one, because if you loved the first you wouldn't have loved the second at all.
Reply 29
Original post by Nice Marmite
My friend's mum says that if you love someone then fall in love with someone else you should always go for the second one, because if you loved the first you wouldn't have loved the second at all.

but what if the 1st one didnt want to be in a reltionship with u and u move on, then fall in love with someone else but still have feelings for the 1st one.

Its all complicated :tongue:
Yes lol. I am at the moment :frown: It's very painful
Original post by sachinisgod
but what if the 1st one didnt want to be in a reltionship with u and u move on, then fall in love with someone else but still have feelings for the 1st one.

Its all complicated :tongue:

You'd have to ask my friends mum. It's not me that's the expert, sorry.
A friend of mine told me he loves me. He also has a girlfriend. So either he's lying to one of us or he's in love with both of us. I don't know what the answer there is!

So yeah, maybe you can be in love with two people at once. I'm not 100% sure though.
Reply 33
Its possible for you to love 2 people, I have. It was the first guy who I feel in love with and the relationship ended horribly but I never really forgot about him. I then met my current bf about 5 months after him and I was transitioning between the 2 thus how I was in love with 2 guys.
Reply 34
Love is a very deep emotion. To love someone is to be their protector, you're not a protector if you open them up to an outside predator which due to our careless behaviour as human beings leads to infidelity. DO NOT MISTAKE LUST FOR LOVE.
Reply 35
I think you can, yes. It doesn't all have to end in tears either, some people have perfectly happy polyamorous relationships.
Reply 36
I have this dilemma at the present time - I have strong feelings for two girls. One is very much the head choice, she ticks every box, we get on very well, are similar people and I do always find her physically attractive. In addition I think the feeling may be mutual.

The second girl is more of a heart choice - my heart skips a beat everytime I see her and this has never gone away. There is more than a part of me that says we are not a match but my attraction to her drives me crazy.

I guess these experiences are just part of life however...
(edited 11 years ago)
I love lots of people

With my husband as well as love, there is desire and passion ... this is what makes it different to the love I feel for my children/parents/friends

There could be another man who I might meet and "fancy" but I would not allow a close relationship to develop with that person since I love my husband ... and therefore could not consider developing a love for this second person

If I decided to develop a relationship with a second man that could develop into love then it would be clear that I did not love my husband in the first place

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending