The Student Room Group

RE. Students choice in Housing and Security provisions

Hi Guys,

I'm from the University of Manchester and was wondering if any of you guys (undergrads/postgrads/international) could help me with a project I am carrying out in conjunction with my course.

As the title states, I'm trying to find out why students pick a particular place to live... for myself it was south Manchester so I could be right in the heart of 'everything student' (Owens Park > Large house in Fallowfield).

I'm now in my third year and have moved to the City Centre to almost get away from that.

I am also looking at how security measures and whether they play a role when deciding where to live. For eg. Quite a few of the large houses that home up to 8 students, it's still all about being in Fallowfield and students do not necessarily consider security.

If you could help, that would be great!

To summarise:

Why South Manchester? Do you care for security provisions? Any any other feedback.

Thank youuu! x
Reply 1
and also if there are any international students, where is your preference to live? our current research shows, not south manchester.
I opted for Oak House to be 'in the middle of things', and can't really say that I gave too much thought to security, as I knew the uni would provide it.

With regards to next year's house, it's on the Fallowfield / Rusholme border. It wasn't particularly chosen for its security, although we were fairly picky about the area (i.e. we knew we didn't want to live in Moss Side), and we wanted to be quite close to the bus route, because some of the girls will be coming home from work / society socials alone late at night.

Above and beyond that, however, we basically picked the house for its intrinsic niceness, number of bedrooms, rent prices and reasonable landlord - those were the main factors we knew we wanted.
Reply 3
I choose to live in the city centre (first and second year). I dislike the idea of living in a student ghetto. Security isn't really a factor, although if I lived outside the city centre, it probably would be more so.

And now you've raised it, I don't think I've seen many international students around Fallowfield. The overwhelming majority seem to be British, or at least that's the impression I get.
I chose based on what was cheapest and closest to uni. So, basically, what was cheapest overall if I'm feeling lazy and don't want to walk to uni.
Reply 5
anymore? x
Reply 6
I'm an MA student and I live in the Opal Gardens postgrad hall. My disability dictated where I chose to live - I needed somewhere fairly quiet that would have space for my support worker, a kitchen that could be easily adapted, and that wasn't far from the uni. That ruled out a lot of places, so I ended up here. I've never thought much about security. It feels pretty safe and quiet. The majority of students here are international, which I think is the norm for a postgrad hall.
Reply 7
I lived in Cambridge Halls in my first year.

Moved out to a road next to Whitworth Park on the Rusholme/Moss Side borders (behind the Moss Court halls) in second year.

Moved further out to a road off Claremont Road in 3rd year.

Now I live on Wilmslow Road, opposite Hardys Well by Plattfields.

I never wanted to live in Fallowfield - it seemed too far to go, and the rent prices were higher. I didn't want to be in the middle of studentville for security reasons - where there's students, there's a lot more burgularies IMO.

I felt really safe in all of my houses, but I still would never go home alone late at night - just not sensible wherever you're living.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending