Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A rare look at Apples production line in China

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So i found this video on-line showing the working conditions of a foxcomm factory in china, used in the production of apple products.

They even use nets around the building to prevent suicide. I'm speechless.

http://www.videofy.me/v/410961
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Those workers certainly aren't 17 or 18 years of age

What is not known is Foxxconn wages are among the highest for electronics factories in all of China.... you're probably typing on a computer that has components in it built using labour that are 1/10th of what was paid to a Foxxconn employee.

Also somewhat unknown, much of the employees at Foxxconn aren't there for long term, they come from the villages and take up jobs in cities and work for the wages, part of the reason they can't afford that iPad is simply because the reason they are doing it is to save money for remittance back to the villages they came from or are saving up to start their own business.

The reality of it, in a country with so many people wages will never be high.... as the day you ask for higher wages, there will be a million waiting for your job. Plus YOU don't want to pay more for your iPad either.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bare in mind that Foxconn produce electronics for a huge portion of the big players in the tech industry.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herr)

What is not known is Foxxconn wages are among the highest for electronics factories in all of China.... you're probably typing on a computer that has components in it built using labour that are 1/10th of what was paid to a Foxxconn employee.

Also somewhat unknown, much of the employees at Foxxconn aren't there for long term, they come from the villages and take up jobs in cities and work for the wages, part of the reason they can't afford that iPad is simply because the reason they are doing it is to save money for remittance back to the villages they came from or are saving up to start their own business.

The reality of it, in a country with so many people wages will never be high.... as the day you ask for higher wages, there will be a million waiting for your job. Plus YOU don't want to pay more for your iPad either.
    I know all of that. It doesn't make me feel any better for the workers though.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    bit of a generalisation, but id say most big companies take similar actions... i.e. exploit labourers...

cant really diss apple only (most big companies should be) since the average person here has atleast a computer which would have most likely been made by similar process...

the sad thing is, despite this, you cant complain and say stop it... stopping it means they wont get money and itll make the situation worse....

could perhaps complain and ask for higher pay, dunno about the pros and cons of this financially/economically though...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herr)

That's the most bizzare proposition I have read in here (and that's quite an achievement).

Having so many people (which as you said makes labour abundant and therefore it's price, wages, low) is not the problem. The problem is the ratio of capital/labour which right now is still very low in China. But I don't get why it's impossible to greatly increase it (i.e. add capital investment) and thereby greatly increase labour productivity and with it, wages. The US is no small country either btw - 300+ million people - and they're still doing fine.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The suicide nets are due to the fact that last year 15 people committed suicide, for reasons not entirely known. Some people think this was because the insurance money paid to their family was more than they would be able to give their family from their wages.
    It's a sad world
    Foxconn is infamous in China for those suicides though, especially since there was discussion on many Chinese forums.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 25, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.