The Student Room Group

Politics of the International Economy at King's

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jdthemagicman
Hi meltychocolate,

Roughly how many hours a week of lecture one is there, and seminar time ?

Is tere a lot of international students?

What are the lecturers like--- interesting??

Thank :smile:

- Hey jdthemagicman,
like MeltyChocolate, I too am currently studying PIE. In response to your questions:

We have 4 hours of lectures and 4 hours of seminars per week - an hour seminar and lecture for each module.
There are a lot of international students, yes. I would estimate it at 50-60%, maybe even more.
Like every department and university, not everyone has the same view of the lecturers! But I personally love them all, they're all so funny and quirky in their own ways :smile:

If you have any other questions feel free to message me, I'd love to help!
Good luck to you all!
yasmyne
Original post by yasmyne
- Hey jdthemagicman,
like MeltyChocolate, I too am currently studying PIE. In response to your questions:

We have 4 hours of lectures and 4 hours of seminars per week - an hour seminar and lecture for each module.
There are a lot of international students, yes. I would estimate it at 50-60%, maybe even more.
Like every department and university, not everyone has the same view of the lecturers! But I personally love them all, they're all so funny and quirky in their own ways :smile:

If you have any other questions feel free to message me, I'd love to help!
Good luck to you all!
yasmyne

Thanks for that, very helpful indeed. :smile:

If you do the PIE BA course in second year, how many optional modules can you take?
Original post by jdthemagicman
Hi meltychocolate,

Roughly how many hours a week of lecture one is there, and seminar time ?

Is tere a lot of international students?

What are the lecturers like--- interesting??

Thank :smile:

In first year we have 4 hours of lectures and 4 hours of seminars a week which really isn't a lot but I hear that's pretty standard for social science courses.

Yeah there are lots of international students, which makes it quite interesting to discuss stuff as everyone has different perspectives. Seems to be about 60% non-British students, maybe even more.

The lecturers are generally pretty good, especially the ones I have now in the second term, though some are better than others. Because the first year covers a lot of compulsory introductory stuff in both politics and economics most people will find some of it interesting and some of it less interesting but I don't have any major complaints except for maybe wanting more contact time :smile:
Reply 23
Is it specifically PIE which has around 60% international students or are you talking about the university in general?

Also I'm quite surprised at the apparent lack of contact hours as it's not really a pure social science course. I'm presuming that this will increase after first year, especially if you go for the BSc route.

Also, can anyone studying the course currently tell me what their grades were like at Gcse and A level and also whether they talked about both subjects in their ps? I'm slightly worried about this as I'm predominantly applying for straight economics courses and so didn't really talk too much about politics in my ps - plus I'm planning to take the BSc if I get in!
Reply 24
If you could please ask your questions on this thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2202672

I'll still answer your questions.
First question: I have no idea, you'd have to check the statistics somewhere online. All I can say is that King's overall is quite, to not say very, international.

Second question: 8 hours of contact hours seems to be more or less what is offered at other universities for similar courses. As far as I know it does not increase during the second year (I think it all depends on the number of options you take, no too sure).

Third question: You should ask this question on the thread above, as I'm not fit to answer it (I did the French Bac). I talked about both subjects.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending