Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm worried about my sleeping patterns

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I sleep a lot and it worries me. On average, I'd say it's around 12 hours per night but it could vary. Some nights I sleep about 20 hours and it has happened quite a few times that I've slept 22-23 hours. In general I would say it's never less than 10 hours, and if I only sleep 8-9 hours then I feel sleep deprived and I have a "sleep dept" - the following day I can't stay up very late and fall asleep the minute I lie down.

How normal is this? Is it a sign of some other condition or do I just happen to need more sleep than the average person?

I'm 21 now, but it's been like this for years - at least since I reached my teens.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps your iron levels are low?

If I were you, I'd go see your GP. You're right, sleeping this amount isn't normal - even those that sleep more that most don't tend to sleep for ore than 12 - and that's a rarity.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend seeing your doctor; 20 hours sleep isn't normal, even for someone who requires more sleep than others. I'd say 10 hours is the boundary as what is defined as "more sleep than others".
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It could be that you just need more sleep than others, but I think it's more likely to be something else. Your doctor will be able to give the best answer, it could just be that a change in diet is all you need.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by synvilla)
    I sleep a lot and it worries me. On average, I'd say it's around 12 hours per night but it could vary. Some nights I sleep about 20 hours and it has happened quite a few times that I've slept 22-23 hours. In general I would say it's never less than 10 hours, and if I only sleep 8-9 hours then I feel sleep deprived and I have a "sleep dept" - the following day I can't stay up very late and fall asleep the minute I lie down.

How normal is this? Is it a sign of some other condition or do I just happen to need more sleep than the average person?

I'm 21 now, but it's been like this for years - at least since I reached my teens.
    This is not normal. Are you on any medication? Some can cause you to sleep longer.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Probably something going wrong. I suggest talking to a doctor.

My sleepiness issues cleared up around the time I got my very severe vitamin D deficiency sorted out. My doctor says that's a coincidence, but hey ho.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you sleep solidly the whole time?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moya)
    This is not normal. Are you on any medication? Some can cause you to sleep longer.
    No, no medication at all. My sister wants me to eat Ritalin as the most common side effect is that people sleep a lot less.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by synvilla)
    No, no medication at all. My sister wants me to eat Ritalin as the most common side effect is that people sleep a lot less.
    That's a bad idea. Go to your doctor, and if you have enough time, read this http://www.supermemo.com/articles/sleep.htm . Sleep is important, but if you are constantly sleeping this long then there could be something wrong.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NB_ide)
    Do you sleep solidly the whole time?
    More or less, yes. I'd say I probably wake up maybe once or twice but only shortly (for a few seconds).

And I sleep heavier at times and not as heavy at other times. My sister got me an "ironic alarm" which is so loud neighbours have called fire department thinking it was fire alarm, and it doesn't always wake me up properly.

In general, when I need to sleep - I sleep. Regardless of if I'm standing up (I would need to lean to something, like a wall), sitting down, am at uni etc. And it's difficult to wake me up. And it usually only take me a few seconds to fall asleep when I go to bed.

Other times I would wake up just by noise in the room, and I wouldn't have a trouble getting up straight away.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with everyone saying see your doc - hope you get to the bottom of it!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 27, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.